The Famous Aberdeen - Season 2022/23

1 hour ago, tarapoa said:

That is a bottom six squad IMO - even allowing for MacDonald, Polvara and Clarkson coming back in.

Hopefully JT's "irons in the fire" get that sorted.  Usually Burns has leaked them all by now.

I’d agree. 
It’s not great.

We have a manager with a track record, so let’s back him.  
3-4 good players & we’re looking fine. 

Burns knows f**k all now that Considine, his leak, is not there.

Although, I did hear he might be back coaching the u-16’s? 
Maybe Hayes replacement.

1 hour ago, tarapoa said:

That is a bottom six squad IMO - even allowing for MacDonald, Polvara and Clarkson coming back in.

Hopefully JT's "irons in the fire" get that sorted.  Usually Burns has leaked them all by now.

Look through the other squads in the league.

Which ones would you genuinely rather have than ours?

We still have a full month to go. He's obviously not wanting to dive in to signings for the sake of signing players.

23 minutes ago, DukDukGoose said:

We still have a full month to go. He's obviously not wanting to dive in to signings for the sake of signing players.

I agree that we shouldn't be adding players for the sake of adding players and moving more cautiously is the right approach as we have sunk significant cost into utter dross we still have kicking about like Gueye, Mcgarry, Sokler and Morris.

I'm not saying ours is worse than others, it is pretty much on par with multiple others in the league but with the investment we have had that isn't good enough.

31 minutes ago, DukDukGoose said:

The injuries to Polvara & Clarkson are rotten luck.  
But there’s zero excuse for the lack of good wingers. 
We’ve known we’ve needed them since last season ended. 
Still nothing. 

23 minutes ago, ScottishZizou said:

I agree that we shouldn't be adding players for the sake of adding players and moving more cautiously is the right approach as we have sunk significant cost into utter dross we still have kicking about like Gueye, Mcgarry, Sokler and Morris.

I'm not saying ours is worse than others, it is pretty much on par with multiple others in the league but with the investment we have had that isn't good enough.

I'm sorry but I can't agree that Sokler is utter dross.

16 minutes ago, DukDukGoose said:

He’s not dross.

Saying he’s inferior to Miovski is not an insult….Miovski is our best striker in over 30 years.

He’ll get goals with service - crosses & cut backs.

He’s poor with his back to goal though. 
His touch isn’t good & the ball breaks off him a lot.

We won’t replace Miovski with better, but I’d hope we can strengthen other areas of the team. 

4 minutes ago, Thenorthernlight said:

He’s not dross.

Saying he’s inferior to Miovski is not an insult….Miovski is our best striker in over 30 years.

We won’t replace Miovski with better, but I’d hope we can strengthen other areas of the team. 

The lad didn't say he was inferior to Miovski. He said he was utter dross.

Agree with your thoughts on Sokler. I feel we're setting up to play to those strengths rather than hoofing the ball though.

14 minutes ago, Thenorthernlight said:

He’s not dross.

Worth pointing out though that in season 1 miovski was a great finisher, in season 2 he was a great striker. 

Sokler is unlikely to hit those heights (I am still admittedly a bit of an ester sceptic) but needs the chance to develop as miovski did. We’ll see I suppose. 

2 hours ago, DukDukGoose said:

I sincerely hope I’m proven wrong but I think he’s really poor. I dont think it’s all about scoring as a striker (although he has scored 1 in 26 for Aberdeen, a lot as a sub granted), he doesn’t ever look like scoring to me. I don’t really get what he’s meant to be good at. Regardless, he’s just one of many signings on long term deals that shouldn’t be. 

Just now, ScottishZizou said:

I sincerely hope I’m proven wrong but I think he’s really poor. I dont think it’s all about scoring as a striker (although he has scored 1 in 26 for Aberdeen, a lot as a sub granted), he doesn’t ever look like scoring to me. I don’t really get what he’s meant to be good at. Regardless, he’s just one of many signings on long term deals that shouldn’t be. 

He's scored 4 this season. Not sure where the 1 in 26 comes from?

7 minutes ago, DukDukGoose said:

He's scored 4 this season. Not sure where the 1 in 26 comes from?

Apologies, I am confirmed speaking garbage. That 1 in 26 relates to last seasons league only. I’m probably being unfair as he only started 6 times and most of my mates think I’m pretty harsh on him but I just don’t get it with him. 

It is still a small sample size with Sokler, but I think he is quite limited. His touch isn't great, he doesn't hold or link play particularly well, and I'm unconvinced by his finishing.

I don't think he is likely to massively improve, so we have to try and play up to what strengths he does appear to have, and he appears most comfortable with service from wide areas. He isn't going to be able to rely on a decent quality of service from our current squad, especially sans Hoilett, which makes the next few weeks imperative. As sharp as Clarkson has looked in the group stages, too, I am a little concerned that having Sokler as a striker against better opposition won't really suit him - I'd certainly be surprised if he managed to replicate the sort of link he showed at times with Miovski over the last couple of seasons. I think he could do a reasonable job with a good quality of crossing from wide, but I think he would benefit most from us signing a Danny Armstrong type of player.

5 hours ago, Dons_1988 said:

The depth of the squad is not great but I’m not seeing the mad panic yet. A few more will come in, and the first 13-14 picks are already pretty good I’d say. 

I’m wondering if the moves for players have been made and the red tape getting them over the line being from Europe is holding things up? Hope so anyway 

6 hours ago, ScottishZizou said:

Which of his 5 minute cameos under Robsons hoofball disaster made you decide hes got nothing?

On 31/07/2024 at 21:44, Thenorthernlight said:

From a reliable source 

Hopefully it finally forces us to bring some one in 

Is your reliable source able to say why nothing has come out anywhere, apart from your post, about Leighton Clarkson’s shoulder injury? When will it be public knowledge?

3 minutes ago, kingjoey said:

Is your reliable source able to say why nothing has come out anywhere, apart from your post, about Leighton Clarkson’s shoulder injury? When will it be public knowledge?

No idea.

Maybe in the pre-match presser, although Jimmy is tighter than a gnat’s chuff in giving much away.

52 minutes ago, afc_blockhead said:

Which of his 5 minute cameos under Robsons hoofball disaster made you decide hes got nothing?

Are we having a debate as to whether the significant outlay on Pape Gueye was or wasn’t a wise use of money? For the money we spent we should be getting very good Scottish premiership player. It’s hard to imagine that the coaching staff got him so wrong last year