The Famous Aberdeen - Season 2022/23

Just now, craigkillie said:

If the game is off it can then be moved to one of the other dozen or so available midweeks between now and the split.

As far as I know, none, or maybe one of those Hearts fixtures are sandwiched in between two European games. Clearly asking for a league game to be postponed after a European fixture would be daft anyway.

Killie away in December is potentially between two European games. Hibs away is one of three games in six days as we play Europe Thursday, Hibs Sunday, and Killie at home on the Wednesday.

This is just playing in Europe.

27 minutes ago, craigkillie said:

We had a centre-back suspended for the Celtic game, and the tactics there are hardly that different to at Pittodrie

Clearly you're not going to want to have every single game in August postponed, and if you're picking one it's always going to be the one between the two play-off round games. We still wanted match fitness at that point - McInnes specifically mentioned it in relation to the St Johnstone game last week. However, having now played 7 times in the last 4 weeks we're presumably at that stage.

Yes, and Celtic away will have been viewed as quite a nice game to get out of the way whilst in this situation.  

1 minute ago, VincentGuerin said:

Killie away in December is potentially between two European games. Hibs away is one of three games in six days as we play Europe Thursday, Hibs Sunday, and Killie at home on the Wednesday.

This is just playing in Europe.

I'm sure Killie would be sympathetic to a postponement there in the circumstances. In fact, if the clubs are quick it could now even be moved to the League Cup quarter-final weekend.

2 minutes ago, craigkillie said:

I'm sure Killie would be sympathetic to a postponement there in the circumstances. In fact, if the clubs are quick it could now even be moved to the League Cup quarter-final weekend.

It would be quite funny if we asked to move it now, since from a PR point of view Killie would have no option but to say yes. But from a competitive point of view, they'd be crazy to agree. That's a great fixture for Killie.

The issue is that you're then just adding more fuel to the congestion fire by adding more midweek games to the season.

It's pointless. Just play the games.

Edited by VincentGuerin

25 minutes ago, kingjoey said:

What about an apology around intimating that Aberdeen made a special request to postpone a match against St Mirren in 2014, when in fact every team in the top division had the entitlement to ask for one match to be postponed regardless of the reason that season. 

He wont apologise.

The arrogance from that guy is staggering. Ive seen him speak shit on a subject on numerous occasions, but in a manner that suggested 100% faith he is always right.

4 minutes ago, kingjoey said:

Teams are desperate to qualify to play in a European competition and while they are trying to do that, they know exactly what this entails. Which is, if you play in a competition where playing on a Thursday is a necessity, then you know that your league games will be on a Sunday. 

Correct. This whole debate is so dishonest I have to admit it really does wind me up. I think @craigkillie is at it to be honest. 

If we really believe this ‘helps’ teams in Europe, then this should be decided as a league with a protocol. Not with as hoc requests after a European contestant loses their first two league games and finds themselves out the cup.

Why should it be down to Aberdeen to decide if we should help killie out? What do hibs, hearts, Dundee or st Mirren or any other teams with top 6 or European hopes think of this postponement? 

Just now, Dons_1988 said:

Correct. This whole debate is so dishonest I have to admit it really does wind me up. I think @craigkillie is at it to be honest. 

If we really believe this ‘helps’ teams in Europe, then this should be decided as a league with a protocol. Not with as hoc requests after a European contestant loses their first two league games and finds themselves out the cup.

Why should it be down to Aberdeen to decide if we should help killie out? What do hibs, hearts, Dundee or st Mirren or any other teams with top 6 or European hopes think of this postponement? 

I personally think all Big Massive Teams playing in Europe should be given a year off from having to be involved in the grubby spectacle that is the SPFL.

Just spend the whole season on a training camp in Portugal, and fly in and out for the European games.

Play-off with the third-placed team to see who gets to do it next season.

If postponements were a possibility, surely AFC would have requested the trip to Paisley last August which was sandwiched in the middle of the two Häcken Europa play-off matches was postponed? 

Hearts have a similar tie vs Viktoria Plzen coming up. Do they still intend to go to Firp Ark next Sunday?

Just now, tarapoa said:

Hearts have a similar tie vs Viktoria Plzen coming up. Do they still intend to go to Firp Ark next Sunday?

Got to be honest, I'll make it as far as that boozer next to the station, I always forget its name.

Chances of going to Fir Park? I'd say 30/70. Sorry @kingjoey

21 minutes ago, craigkillie said:

My understanding was that clubs could ask for their first home fixture to be postponed (ie only fixtures in the first two matchweeks could be disrupted), and this was Aberdeen's second. The statement at the time said that it was with the agreement of both clubs, if it was based on an entitlement then St Mirren would have needed to agree.

These postponements were also typically announced around the time the fixture list came out, not two weeks before the match. For example, both of the below were already known in late June.

https://www.heraldscotland.com/sport/13110283.postponing-celtic-game-friendly-ridiculous-insists-goodwin/
https://www.dailyrecord.co.uk/sport/football/kilmarnock-to-welcome-premiership-big-guns-1106599

My understanding is that these games didn't have to be postponed at the time the fixtures came out, just at a time that was ok with both clubs. As for your understanding that it had to be the first home game, my understanding is that you're flailing around trying to justify your point. Even if that was the case, it's still a justified request which wouldn't have been made if the SPL (or whatever they were called at the time) hadn't allowed any team to request one postponement per season.

4 minutes ago, Dons_1988 said:

At no point have I suggested that it benefits the league or anything of the sort, I haven't even said I think it would really help us. The only reason I started posting in here was to point out Aberdeen had done it before, and then to disagree with people suggesting various logistical reasons as to why it couldn't or shouldn't happen.

It's an Aberdeen v Kilmarnock fixture. When it is played is none of Hibs', Hearts', Dundee's or St Mirren's business.

1 minute ago, craigkillie said:

It's an Aberdeen v Kilmarnock fixture. When it is played is none of Hibs', Hearts', Dundee's or St Mirren's business.

Not sure about this.

All clubs operate on an understanding that there's a general pattern to the fixtures. If clubs are getting tricky fixtures moved to suit their own agenda, that obviously interests everyone else.

What if Killie move this fixture, win it, and beat Hearts to Europe by a point?

If you want to move the game, you need a good reason.

6 minutes ago, VincentGuerin said:

Got to be honest, I'll make it as far as that boozer next to the station, I always forget its name.

Chances of going to Fir Park? I'd say 30/70. Sorry @kingjoey

Disappointing, but not surprising.

Tbh I wouldn’t mind so much if it was agreed at the start of the season by all clubs that any team involved in a European playoff round can postpone their league fixture between the two legs. 

However, to try and do it just one week in advance, when the date of the game has already changed, is a pisstake. Fans of both clubs and the clubs themselves have made arrangements on the basis that this date would be final.

Killie should’ve known this was a possibility when the fixture list was released.

Just now, kingjoey said:

My understanding is that these games didn't have to be postponed at the time the fixtures came out, just at a time that was ok with both clubs. As for your understanding that it had to be the first home game, my understanding is that you're flailing around trying to justify your point. Even if that was the case, it's still a justified request which wouldn't have been made if the SPL (or whatever they were called at the time) hadn't allowed any team to request one postponement per season.

The last time any other team had a game postponed for that reason was Celtic in 2013, which is when Goodwin kicked up a fuss about it in the interview mentioned. Celtic postponed games in 2011 (when it was first allowed), 2012 and 2013, and then never again, which suggests to me the rule may not even have still been in place in 2014.

5 minutes ago, craigkillie said:

At no point have I suggested that it benefits the league or anything of the sort, I haven't even said I think it would really help us. The only reason I started posting in here was to point out Aberdeen had done it before, and then to disagree with people suggesting various logistical reasons as to why it couldn't or shouldn't happen.

You did say that Aberdeen would be small minded to reject it. 

But mainly, if you’ve made several posts just to merely state this is logistically possible then that would confirm to me that you’re at it. 

And league fixtures between two clubs do not exist in a vacuum. 

4 minutes ago, VincentGuerin said:

Not sure about this.

All clubs operate on an understanding that there's a general pattern to the fixtures. If clubs are getting tricky fixtures moved to suit their own agenda, that obviously interests everyone else.

What if Killie move this fixture, win it, and beat Hearts to Europe by a point?

If you want to move the game, you need a good reason.

Fixtures move around for all sorts of reasons. Hearts played a bunch of games at a different stadium one season and there wasn't any complaint about fairness then.