The Famous Aberdeen - Season 2022/23

1 hour ago, kingjoey said:

Great start to the season, but the truth is that we haven't been truly tested yet, so don't really know where we are compared to last season. Of the three league games the only team to give us any real problems is in the second half against St Johnstone. St Mirren and Kilmarnock have  both been insipid and uninspiring. 

I don't really understand this statement... and I've seen it mentioned a few times by posters. Yes 5/8 of the wins have been lower league opposition, and the others against who beat us pretty comfortably last season! You can only beat what's in front of you and so far we've done it pretty comfortably for the most part. Thelin obviously the only person to do it in his first 8 games but I think the only other manager to do that kind of streak in recent times is McInnes. It's not an easy thing to do. It's no wonder Aberdeen fans get called arrogant sometimes. To win 8 games in a row at any level is a very good achievement, it's why the likes of Celtic are successful, and to do it with a new coaching staff and new players as well. Let's enjoy the momentum rather than waiting for it to end

4 minutes ago, Zapp Brannigan said:

I don't really understand this statement... and I've seen it mentioned a few times by posters. Yes 5/8 of the wins have been lower league opposition, and the others against who beat us pretty comfortably last season! You can only beat what's in front of you and so far we've done it pretty comfortably for the most part. Thelin obviously the only person to do it in his first 8 games but I think the only other manager to do that kind of streak in recent times is McInnes. It's not an easy thing to do. It's no wonder Aberdeen fans get called arrogant sometimes. To win 8 games in a row at any level is a very good achievement, it's why the likes of Celtic are successful, and to do it with a new coaching staff and new players as well. Let's enjoy the momentum rather than waiting for it to end

I think it’s the opposite of arrogant actually. 

I think people just fear that we’re still going to get a smack in the mouth when we come up against something a bit sterner. It’s a belief that we’ve not achieved anything yet really and there’s still miles to go. 

Nobody saying it’s easy or not an achievement.  

5 minutes ago, Dons_1988 said:

I think it’s the opposite of arrogant actually. 

I think people just fear that we’re still going to get a smack in the mouth when we come up against something a bit sterner. It’s a belief that we’ve not achieved anything yet really and there’s still miles to go. 

Nobody saying it’s easy or not an achievement.  

I'm just looking at it from the perspective of other sides who think we expect to just turn up and beat them. You have to earn the right to win a football game and our ability to do that so far is a testament to how much we've improved in that department since last season

Also, I've been wrong about many Aberdeen players before - for better or for worse - but I'm not sure I've been as wrong about one as I currently seem to have been about Nilsen. 

Edited by DrewDon

10 hours ago, DrewDon said:

Also, I've been wrong about many Aberdeen players before - for better or for worse - but I'm not sure I've been as wrong about one as I currently seem to have been about Nilsen. 

Jamie McGrath was a mouthful of humble pie I still haven’t digested 

2 hours ago, Dons_1988 said:

Jamie McGrath was a mouthful of humble pie I still haven’t digested 

I was always cautiously optimistic about McGrath, but obviously didn’t think he would turn out as well as he has. I thought Nilsen would be on a Tansey-esque trajectory by now given his League Cup showings, but he has been excellent in the league. A great facilitator and gives the centre-backs a layer of protection they have been missing for what seems like forever. 

2 minutes ago, DrewDon said:

I was always cautiously optimistic about McGrath, but obviously didn’t think he would turn out as well as he has. I thought Nilsen would be on a Tansey-esque trajectory by now given his League Cup showings, but he has been excellent in the league. A great facilitator and gives the centre-backs a layer of protection they have been missing for what seems like forever. 

He's also a leader. You now have Shinnie and Nilsen setting an example on the pitch. Hard not to put it in yourself when you have them two in there.

18 minutes ago, DrewDon said:

I felt similar on Nilsen at first. Thought it was fairly basic stuff, didn’t see much influence on the game combined with a few misplaced easy passes. 

I think @DukDukGoose did suggest at one point maybe he found the league cup games too easy which is maybe coming to pass. 

Hes been a bit of a rolls Royce player since the league started and he does seem to control the tempo, not to mention what it’s done for shinnie’s role.  

Regarding McGrath, I was happy to see him sign. What did surprise me though was his desire to get stuck in. Think he’s had 2 black eyes since he joined.

Now, if he’d just sign that contract extension, that would be great. 

Office Space GIF by 20th Century Fox Home Entertainment

14 minutes ago, Dons_1988 said:

I felt similar on Nilsen at first. Thought it was fairly basic stuff, didn’t see much influence on the game combined with a few misplaced easy passes. 

I think @DukDukGoose did suggest at one point maybe he found the league cup games too easy which is maybe coming to pass. 

Hes been a bit of a rolls Royce player since the league started and he does seem to control the tempo, not to mention what it’s done for shinnie’s role.  

Glad I strongly opposed the “he’s finished!” and “his legs have gone!” bandwagons re Shinnie last year, at least. A low point for dire supporter discourse in a season of low points. 

3 minutes ago, DrewDon said:

Glad I strongly opposed the “he’s finished!” and “his legs have gone!” bandwagons re Shinnie last year, at least. A low point for dire supporter discourse in a season of low points. 

In fairness to the 'legs are gone' folk, he was used terribly last season.

6 minutes ago, DukDukGoose said:

He was, but that’s no excuse for not being able to differentiate between those two things. I am very protective of Graeme. 

7 minutes ago, DukDukGoose said:

He had enough good games last season to see that he wasn’t finished though, he was being asked too much of. That shinnie/clarkson/mcgrath midfield 3 was just garbage balance-wise. 

15 hours ago, Zapp Brannigan said:

What's particularly encouraged me is usually we struggle against the physicality when we play St Johnstone, St Mirren and Kilmarnock but we've coped a lot better so far. 

We had 1 point from our corresponding fixtures against the same 3 opponents last season so to be 8 points better off is a real good building block for the harder challenges ahead

1 hour ago, DukDukGoose said:

Not sure if was case of legs were gone or what I heard was personal issue he was going through if true and not a typical Aberdeen rumour would make sense 

24 minutes ago, Moorie said:

Not sure if was case of legs were gone or what I heard was personal issue he was going through if true and not a typical Aberdeen rumour would make sense 

Issues or not, Shinnie was a lot better than some people made out. He had some great games and some not so great but that’s going to happen when the whole team is struggling. 
Top player for us both first time around and now. 

4 hours ago, 1GregStewart said:

Issues or not, Shinnie was a lot better than some people made out. He had some great games and some not so great but that’s going to happen when the whole team is struggling. 
Top player for us both first time around and now. 

No doubt. Really makes you wonder what went on last season when one of the outcast’s of last year is finding the net and becoming a regular starter at the moment