The Famous Aberdeen - Season 2022/23

32 minutes ago, anotherchance said:

Wright comes across as a bit of a dinosaur, he certainly he wouldn't be the young, dynamic manager with his career on an upwards trajectory that McInnes is.

Not that Archibald or Ross would fill me with joy given they've done pretty much f**k all bar finish above a lot of dross in their respective leagues.

I'd hope we'd look outside the usual suspects should it come to it, although I suspect we'd end up with Stubbs or similar.

Just because he's got a chin a bit like the t-rex in Toy Story does not make him a dinosaur.

Aberdeen is the one job that really gives me the fear in Scottish football. They are far more pragmatic than Hearts, who prefer a more hipster approach to appointing managers, and neither of the old firm would lower themselves to appointing a St Johnstone manager.

If Del goes, I can see Tommy going to Aberdeen. Not sure if Callum Davidson would follow him though as I suspect he'd fancy a go at the Saints job himself.

Edited by Kyle

1 minute ago, Suspect Device said:

Not sure how some fans would take to the union jack mug (as I like to refer to Tommy Wright)

Seeing as people in the North East absolutely fucking love the Tories, I'm sure they'll be just fine with that.

Of all the people leaving Aberdeen, what a loss McInnes would be.

But there's a guy out there who has won 12 trophies for Aberdeen as a player, 7 trophies in 3 seasons for Rangers as a manager including a treble with the 2nd highest budget in the league.

But there's a guy out there who has won 12 trophies for Aberdeen as a player, 7 trophies in 3 seasons for Rangers as a manager including a treble with the 2nd highest budget in the league.

No thanks

Panic on the streets of Aberdeen - Week 3

Christ, is it only week 3?

Sadly I think Jonny and Deek are away. Both been great for the club, and are quite tight to want to move on I suppose.

I can't help but think there would be other, better places for Deek to go than Sunderland. They are a shambles of a club, and I can see them easily dropping down again. At least he's used to working in an area where people talk as weird as f**k.

No idea how to replace though. Alex Neil is pie in the sky thinking, and I'm not sure Tommy Wright would see the Dons job as a step up.

I might be wrong about them leaving though, f**k knows I'm wrong often enough.

Nah

18 minutes ago, naegoodinthedark said:

Christ, is it only week 3?

Sadly I think Jonny and Deek are away. Both been great for the club, and are quite tight to want to move on I suppose.

I can't help but think there would be other, better places for Deek to go than Sunderland. They are a shambles of a club, and I can see them easily dropping down again. At least he's used to working in an area where people talk as weird as f**k.

No idea how to replace though. Alex Neil is pie in the sky thinking, and I'm not sure Tommy Wright would see the Dons job as a step up.

I might be wrong about them leaving though, f**k knows I'm wrong often enough.

I think he will see Aberdeen as a step up. Much higher budget, much more money for himself and he may not even have to move away from where he stays just now. Realistically he can't really achieve much more at Saints. Three top 4 finishes, winning the Scottish cup and qualifying for Europe in 3 out of his 4 full seasons (taking out a couple of big scalps in the process) - it can really only get worse for us from here now that the bigger clubs are starting to get their act together.

Edited by Kyle

Tommy Wright has been more attacking than McInnes in his time in charge. He's a dinosaur, to the point where he has a computer analyst analysis opponent's and his own team constantly, asks his players to play multiple roles and constantly adapts his tactics to the opponents. Truly backwards, so he is.

4 minutes ago, jmothecat said:

He's a decent manager but I don't like the thought of watching the eye-bleed football he seems to like.

His football is much better than Del's was at Saints, for the most part anyway. That's with a lower budget as well.

I have changed my opinion of the Sunderland job I thought at one stage it was too good for McInnis to turn down but am not so sure now. He damaged his reputation down there after making a mess of the Bristol city job he can’t really afford to do that again.

Everything points to the Sunderland job being a poisoned chalice, they are deep in debt and most likely won’t have the player budget to come back up, which is what most of the fans will expect. If he end up getting the sack he won’t be given a decent job in England again. I think he will be given other opportunities down there which will prove less risky.

Sunderland have just accepted a bid of £30m for Jordan Pickford. If he's offered some of that as a budget, I'd back Del to make a decent fist of getting Sunderland up. I don't disagree with your general point though. It's a huge risk, especially after taking on a similar risk at Bristol.

Don't get the snobbishness towards tommy Wright from dons fans.

He's done a great job at saints and has been said mcinnes' st Johnstone side was pretty eye bleeding stuff.

Would be very open to tommy Wright taking the job should he want it.

41 minutes ago, naegoodinthedark said:

and I'm not sure Tommy Wright would see the Dons job as a step up.

Surely only a lunatic wouldn't see Saints to Aberdeen as a step up? 

I'd suggest we benefited greatly from McInnes' time down south at Bristol City - he arguably came back a better manager and certainly came back with a better contacts book. Had a lot to prove too, whereas I think Wright would just be a safe appointment with echoes of Calderwood. Like JC, we'd be the biggest club Wright would ever manage.

I'd perhaps look more favourably on Wright if he'd built on the solid and stuffy team he built and decided to take a risk and make them an exciting, expansive team to watch. Doesn't seem to have done so from what I can see.