Stirling Albion Official Thread

• Replies 321
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Excellent signings for Stirling. I reckon both Doris and Smith could have done a job for Morton or the Pars. Liked the look of Smith a couple of years back against us. Scored a lot in a struggling part-time team.

Shelldon, on 28 Jun 2014 - 14:32, said:

Doris is a fucking cracking signing for you guys! All the best to him, hopefully he gets his career back on track after not getting a great chance at Dundee.

He did get a good chance at Dundee. He just so happened to be overweight and not really up to full-time football. Wish him all the best though.

Lewis Coult, Steven Doris and Gordon Smith.

Doris and smith are very good signings. Would've been happy to see any of those 2 at cappielow. Not seen much of coult at all so unsure how he will d.

Smith didn't make much of an impact with us last season, his best game arguably being the Ramsdens Cup Final where he was utilised on the left hand side.

You'd see wee glances of what he was capable every now and again but it just didn't happen often enough for him at Starks.

Good luck to the man though and good luck to Stirling who I'll be rooting for next season.

Smith was rotten for us, for the most part - games just passed him by and he had a habit of missing sitters. I never rated him, but remembered him as a player who at least put himself about. That he often didn't seem to offer that was disappointing.

Don't get me wrong, he did show signs that he's a competent player, but they just weren't often enough.

League One is probably his level, so I think he'll do a job for Stirling.

Smith did well in the early games in his loan season with the Albion under John O'Neill but Jocky Scott started to drop him after he took over mid season. Attitude wasn't right according to Jocky but Jocky was totally unsuited to part time football so who knows where the blame truly lies.

Greig McDonald is not necessarily the strongest manager in terms of discipline but maybe Smith needs a manager who believes in him rather than one that gives him the hair drier treatment.

Ray Vaughn, on 29 Jun 2014 - 10:00, said:Ray Vaughn, on 29 Jun 2014 - 10:00, said:

Smith did well in the early games in his loan season with the Albion under John O'Neill but Jocky Scott started to drop him after he took over mid season. Attitude wasn't right according to Jocky but Jocky was totally unsuited to part time football so who knows where the blame truly lies.

Greig McDonald is not necessarily the strongest manager in terms of discipline but maybe Smith needs a manager who believes in him rather than one that gives him the hair drier treatment.

Interesting you say that about Jocky instead of saying he just had absolute catastrophic time in charge which from an outsiders perspective certainly looks to be the case. How do you mean he was unsuited to part time football?

Cause we only train twice a week it's difficult to work on tactics and perfect them, Jocky obviously struggled with this.

On Smith, I think he'll play like a Weatherson role, make runs and try to provide for Doris. Just like Weatherston for White.

Coult is a confidence player. If he scores and is on a good run of form then he will do well but if he misses a sitter, his head will drop and he will become anonymous as he did in the second half of last season. There's very little to his game other than goals so keep his confidence up and he will do alright but if not he will be worse than useless.

Interesting you say that about Jocky instead of saying he just had absolute catastrophic time in charge which from an outsiders perspective certainly looks to be the case. How do you mean he was unsuited to part time football?

Jocky has a reputation of being a top class coach but he failed abysmally to do anything about our form in the second half of the 1st division relegation season after he took over.

He then got 6 months in the 2nd division and we started ok in the first few games as he had had the time to coach them over the preseason period. It went seriously downhill by about about end if September as fitness would no doubt take up much if the time of the two nights per week.

There is probably more to it than that but that's my view.

Archived