Neil Lennon gone / Next Celtic manager

If we want to sell our players for decent money then we need to be playing in the champions league though. Would we qualify with a team of kids? I dont think so.

But what happens when the scouting well of fortune runs dry?

You have a plan B.

• Replies 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

You cant have both though. You cant have a team of kids and expect to keep winning things. Kids are far too inconsistent.

Is that you Alan Hansen?

Anyway im cautiously optomistic about it, i wasnt overly keen on alot of the people we were being heaviliy linked with (Coyle, Keane, Clark, Larsson) so to see with the went for a young and upcoming manager that values bringing through youth players and attacking football? Sounds good to me, thought he came acrtoss very well in yesterdays interview.

Time well tell, but i think this could be a cracking appointment.

EDIT: dammit ninja'd, TheCelt67 :angry:

Yeah possibly but still something is not right at the club. Neil wouldn't just leave like that.

I think its just the situation Celtic as a Club find themselves in.....too big for Scotland but too small for the UCL......how do you square that circle? Do they risk losing fans attending by playing it safe in terms of investment in the team or go for broke like Rangers did in chasing a somewhat unlikely European dream?

He left suddenly though. Neil wouldn't just leave like that unless it was for a good reason.

It was pretty obvious for a wee while that he was looking for the exit door..... He was linked with one or two jobs in England ( not by accident IMO ) and I said a few weeks ago when he appeared on Football Focus that it looked like he was putting himself in the shop window so I am not surprised he's off...

He's done as much as he can at Celtic and ( without meaning to open old cans of worms ) who can blame him for wanting to leave Scotland with all the off the field stuff ? Anyway..... No conspiracies I don't think as it was happening for a wee while - Good Luck to Lennon where ever he ends up next :thumsup2

Neil left at the right time imo. He said himself, the club is in good health, decent squad, fans aren't calling for his head and he possibly wants a new challenge.

But that won't stop the conspiracy theorists.

That's about right - best not to outstay your welcome.

Also worth remembering that if Lennon had stayed for another season, he'd basically have to commit to two years, assuming that New Rangers would get promoted at the end of the season*. You can imagine the headlines if he'd left right before that shower came up.

*Difficult to predict whether this will actually happen, mind.

He could have taken us much further plus where is he going to go and have the support he had here?

:lol:

Although one thing does make me wonder. On what evidence are you basing this "He could have taken us much further" nonsense?

That's about right - best not to outstay your welcome.

Also worth remembering that if Lennon had stayed for another season, he'd basically have to commit to two years, assuming that New Rangers would get promoted at the end of the season*. You can imagine the headlines if he'd left right before that shower came up.

*Difficult to predict whether this will actually happen, mind.

Definitely. I think they'll struggle to get out of that league, the way things are.

You can imagine the uproar if Lennon quit the season they return. Hailed as a bottle merchant etc.

Best time to draw the curtain imo.

He could have won the treble, ten in a row and maybe make us a force in Europe.

You need to be able to win other trophies to win a treble though. Not get papped out by the worst Morton side of my lifetime and get taken to a replay by Arbroath.

Archived