Heart of Midlothian 2014-

32 minutes ago, Falcor Roar said:

Come on - that video was from the 90s before political correctness came into play. Everybody was a vile racist/homophobe back then and it was fine and everyone was comfortable with it apart from obviously any minorities I suppose.    

You're showing your age, since if you were around in the 1990s, you wouldn't talk such utter pish. This was 1998, not 1978. Political correctness, as a mass media buzzword, was around since the *early* 1990s (it's use by the left as an self-deprecating joke was around for a bit longer). People were *far* from universally homophobic then (though the world has improved markedly on this issue since 1998, I'll concede). Overt racism was much less common then than it is now that those alt-righters have been congregating in the more disgusting shitholes on the internet and occasionally seeping out into proper society.

Edited by Aim Here

1 hour ago, Aim Here said:

You're showing your age, since if you were around in the 1990s, you wouldn't talk such utter pish. This was 1998, not 1978. Political correctness, as a mass media buzzword, was around since the *early* 1990s (it's use by the left as an self-deprecating joke was around for a bit longer). People were *far* from universally homophobic then (though the world has improved markedly on this issue since 1998, I'll concede). Overt racism was much less common then than it is now that those alt-righters have been congregating in the more disgusting shitholes on the internet and occasionally seeping out into proper society.

I'll break the fourth wall here m8 - I was joking. There are a number of inaccuracies within my post. 

7 minutes ago, Falcor Roar said:

I'll break the fourth wall here m8 - I was joking. There are a number of inaccuracies within my post. 

Hah, fair enough. The trouble with sarcasm on the internet is that the people who use it are indistinguishable from the many folks around that are genuinely that stupid!

Not one of the Hearts boys on here have condemned the disgusting racism in that video, they'd rather indulge in Old Firm levels of whataboutery.

Poor show  given it's still rife today according to some of there recent players.  

7 hours ago, MacDonald Jardine said:

Well in 1875 you didn't welcome anyone who wasn't Roman Catholic.
How about refugees?

Hibs were founded to allow Catholics to play football since they were excluded from other clubs. Like Hearts for example. Some brass neck to claim the club set up to combat the sectarian behaviour of every other club in Edinburgh was the exclusionary one. 

Hibs were founded to allow Catholics to play football since they were excluded from other clubs. Like Hearts for example. Some brass neck to claim the club set up to combat the sectarian behaviour of every other club in Edinburgh was the exclusionary one. 

Bollocks

They weren’t excluded from other clubs. The emergence of social and recreational institutions like Hibs was driven by the Roman Catholic Church’s desire to protect it’s flock from being corrupted by contact with the heathens they found themselves living amongst.

58 minutes ago, Lebowski said:

Hearts have never excluded anyone.

Hearts have never excluded anyone.

Leith Athletic dabbled in that kind of thing for a bit but they didn’t exist till 1887 so they’re not relevant

Saint Bernards grew out of the team of the 3rd Edinburgh Rifle Volunteers (equivalent to a territorial army unit today) so, in that incarnation, were presumably exclusive in that you had to be in the unit.

Leith Primrose were the first team in Scotland to employ a black professional, Hearts became the second when we signed Johnny Walker from them.

2 hours ago, topcat(The most tip top) said:

Bollocks

They weren’t excluded from other clubs. The emergence of social and recreational institutions like Hibs was driven by the Roman Catholic Church’s desire to protect it’s flock from being corrupted by contact with the heathens they found themselves living amongst.

Aye mate, Irish catholics were definitely welcome everywhere in Scotland in the late 19th century... I don't think Hearts ever had a "No catholics rule" written down, but it was the case that a Hibs side were set up taking players from no other clubs who rapidly became one of the best sides in the country. The only side they lost players to were Celtic a decade and a half later (due to illegal payments). 

Hibs absolutely were set up as a church team. I'd like to think that church boys teams etc nowadays (or in the past more likely) weren't considered sectarian. 

Hibs absolutely were set up as a church team. I'd like to think that church boys teams etc nowadays (or in the past more likely) weren't considered sectarian. 

Well they given that they’re attached to religious sects they are, and were, sectarian in the literal sense of the word

You’re free to interpret the word in any sense you like.

17 minutes ago, topcat(The most tip top) said:

Well they given that they’re attached to religious sects they are, and were, sectarian in the literal sense of the word

You’re free to interpret the word in any sense you like.

The club were sectarian merely because they were founded by a couple of priests? I'd be interested in your "literal" interpretation of what sectarianism is.