Premier League 2014/15

banana

• Replies 8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I'm sure I read somewhere that Liverpool have now picked up more points since January than Everton have all season. Quite a turnaround.

Martinez really isn't all he's cracked up to be, I've never understood all the plaudits he receives. Usually of the ilk "he plays football the right way". Since when did conceding lots of goals become the right way to play football? The only reason his Wigan sides were remotely entertaining was to laugh at their defensive blunders.

And taking your shirt off while celebrating. Why is that a booking?

Think it was something to do with Italian players having political slogans on their shirt underneath. I'm probably talking shite though.

I was under the impression it was because the scorer is the focus of attention for TV cameras and photographers so if he is shirtless the shirt sponsor isn't getting the publicity they have forked out for. Can't have them upset of course.

Is the question of how Liverpool will cope without Gerrard still being posed? Or have the pundits worked out that they might just cope?

They've done more than cope. If there's any justice, he'll now be benched until he leaves.

They've done more than cope. If there's any justice, he'll now be benched until he leaves.

He won't be though. Even though his legs are completely gone, the scousers would be going fucking mental if golden boy Stevie was on the bench, even if it meant the quality of their football taking a sizeable drop.

Speaking of wildy irrational fans...

Newcastle seem to do just enough to get the odd result here and there to keep them treading water in mid-table obscurity, before 3 or 4 performances where they look like they've never met each other. Utd equally bad tonight so far.

They'll start flying up the league once they get rid of Alan Pardew, IMO.

Oh...

When he says he has no knowledge of a spitting incident, is that just in relation to him or to Cisse as well? Because the TV pictures clearly show him saying "Spitting? Really?" to Cisse. It also seems unlikely that Cisse would wipe his face (whether hit or not) and not actually accuse Evans of anything.

I think he's trying to deflect but in the end it could make things worse for him. Better to just let things run their course then comment after a decision has been made.

I'd much rather be spat at than punched in the face, maybe that's cause I'm a solid 8 though.

Really? f**k that. Spitting is disgusting. I'd rather be punched twice than spat on.

ITV's Pop Gold programme that was on not long after the Newcastle game highlighted that the Clash's Joe Strummer had contacted hepatitis from being spat on during a performance. Think I'd settle for a punch if there was no lasting damage.

Spitting is pretty rank, but I can't say I get the level of outrage it always seems to attract. I'm always more puzzled by why any player's natural reaction is to spit, it's just weird.

Agreed: the howls of uproar last night on MOTD were baffling, IIRC Neville described it as the worst thing you could do to an opponent on the pitch. I'd suggest that a pre-meditated, career-ending 'challenge' would be significantly worse than a bit of phlegm and water on someone's face.

I'm sure I read somewhere that Liverpool have now picked up more points since January than Everton have all season. Quite a turnaround.

Martinez really isn't all he's cracked up to be, I've never understood all the plaudits he receives. Usually of the ilk "he plays football the right way". Since when did conceding lots of goals become the right way to play football? The only reason his Wigan sides were remotely entertaining was to laugh at their defensive blunders.

That he decided to take Alcaraz with him from Wigan to Everton says it all about his judgement of defensive players. Found out again this season.

vikingTON, on 05 Mar 2015 - 16:34, said:

IIRC Neville described it as the worst thing you could do to an opponent on the pitch. I'd suggest that a pre-meditated, career-ending 'challenge' would be significantly worse than a bit of phlegm and water on someone's face.

I think that spitting is absolutely disgusting and the bans that both Evans and Cisse get will be deserved. This is spot on though.

There are much worse things that can happen on a football pitch. It's not the first time I've seen it either. It gets reeled out by many ex pros whenever a spit happens. It wasn't true then and it isn't true now.

Roy Keane is always the thing I think of when people say it.

Archived