Amazing Live Bands

Ira Gaines

• Replies 78
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Bowling For Soup are a great laugh live and put on a great show. Deaf Havana, Lower Than Atlantis and Charlie Simpson are always a safe bet to put on outstanding show as well. Another band who put on a great show (and will be hated on here) was One Direction. They really surprised me but they completely controlled the crowd and had a great looking and sounding set at Murrayfield.

Best I've seen live was Arcade Fire last November at the Barrowlands. That was a pretty incredible night, especially given the tickets were absolute golddust to get a hold of. Everyone after the gig in the lobby and the toilets were still singing Wake Up!

Agree about the Manics though. I saw them at the Corn Exchange in Edinburgh back in 2006 or 2007 or so and James Dean Bradfield is absolutely incredible as a performer. They're one of the few bands who've been about since the early 90s and consistently remained good as a group.

Agree about the Manics though. I saw them at the Corn Exchange in Edinburgh back in 2006 or 2007 or so and James Dean Bradfield is absolutely incredible as a performer. They're one of the few bands who've been about since the early 90s and consistently remained good as a group.

Seen then there on the PPF tour. Busting out A Design for Life about two songs in was like something out of bizarro world. Haven't repeated that trick in the UK since that tour.

Seen then there on the PPF tour. Busting out A Design for Life about two songs in was like something out of bizarro world. Haven't repeated that trick in the UK since that tour.

They opened with Design For Life on one of the dates down South on the tour just past.

They opened with Design For Life on one of the dates down South on the tour just past.

Yep. When I saw them in Japan circa 20-7 they started off with Design For Life. And he botched the opening line.

Yep. When I saw them in Japan circa 20-7 they started off with Design For Life. And he botched the opening line.

They often play If You Tolerate This... last in Europe now. The UK seems to be their exclusive Design for Life closing thing.

Forgot they did A Design for Life as anything other than a closer this year because they did it as a closer most of the time. Whereas they did it as second song everywhere on the PPF tour.

There's a flaw in the arguments of most people here (including myself) in that the majority of bands we go to see live we already like and have paid money for, therefore we are expecting them to be good. It becomes a self-fulfilling prophecy. Maybe it would be better if we discussed bands that we expected to be poor / average but were surprisingly brilliant live.

good point but not sure I agree entirely. You could have gone along liking the band but their live performance may have cemented their greatness.

Going with your post though, stone temple pilots at barrowlands (where weilands voice popped during the first song circa '94) were astounding

I'm gonna give Keane a mention here. Someone got me a ticket to see them. I wasn't fussed about it and went, and they put on a sensational show, and actually topped it at T in the Park in 2012 in front of a kinda small crowd who didn't give a f**k, and they just went balls out and delivered a fantastic show.

f**k that. They were fucking horrendous when I seen them. I've seen similar to them and been entertained. Maybe it was just that day, but they were dreadful.

When did you see them? Seen them twice at the Garage in past three years and both times been the mutts nuts.

There's a flaw in the arguments of most people here (including myself) in that the majority of bands we go to see live we already like and have paid money for, therefore we are expecting them to be good. It becomes a self-fulfilling prophecy. Maybe it would be better if we discussed bands that we expected to be poor / average but were surprisingly brilliant live.

I'll go first:

OMD (thought they would be some synth pop pish, and went to accompany a girlfriend, but they turned out to be a complete party!)

Agreed, but I wouldn't go and see a band I thought would be rubbish.

I've been blown away by bands I've never heard of: Corey Chisel and the Wandering Sons; and The Wild Feathers being a stand out.

They weren't too bothered the night I saw them, but when they can be fucked The Arctic Monkeys look unreal live.

I agree with the Kasabian and Stereophonics shouts. Also, I'll get ripped for this (and it's really not my type of music) but I was very surprised at how good a show Blink 182 put on. Even people like me who don't like their tunes enjoyed it cos they're great showmen as it turns out.

The original Frantic Four Status Quo. Not a number from after 1976, showed why they were one of the top rock bands in the seventies.

Also Blackberry Smoke, back in Glasgow in Oct, don't miss them.

They play 200 plus gigs a year and it shows

Archived