Amazing Live Bands

Ira Gaines

The bands you've seen who have amazed you.

McFly never cease to amaze me. I've seen them in one form or another five times now. Better every time.

The Flaming Lips. Three times. Astonishing every time.

Manic Street Preachers. Outside of festivals, they've been amazing every time.

• Replies 78
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Saw Springsteen last year at Hampden, never had a religious experience in my life, but when I do I expect it to be, how I felt that night

NewDomDom, on 06 Jun 2014 - 22:00, said:

The bands you've seen who have amazed you.

McFly never cease to amaze me. I've seen them in one form or another five times now. Better every time.

The Flaming Lips. Three times. Astonishing every time.

Manic Street Preachers. Outside of festivals, they've been amazing every time.

:lol: 'Kin hell, and to think you once slagged me off for looking forward to the new I Am Kloot album. The Manics are good but the other two are shite.

Anyway, best bands/artists I've seen live,

The Smiths

The Buzzcocks

Marvin Gaye

David Bowie

Roxy Music

The Clash

Nina Simone

Kraftwerk

Feeder

Ocean Colour Scene

White Lies

Johnny Marr

Love And Money

Rezillos

Bjork

Suzanne Vega

Idlewild

Morrissey

To name but a few. ^_^

:lol: 'Kin hell, and to think you once slagged me off for looking forward to the new I Am Kloot album. The Manics are good but the other two are shite.

No. I slagged I Am Kloot. I never slagged you. I don't slag people off for liking bands. I leave that to arrogant fuckwits.

I was a bit bored by The Charlatans when they played T in the Park in 2003.

Feeder and Ocean Colour Scene are both good shouts. OCS had a crowd last year that didn't give a toss and OCS powered through and gave an energetic performance.

Fair do's dom I agree latter day charlatans are not everyone's cup of tea but in their pomp with rob Collins in a different zone of the planet from anyone else was special to behold. Up to our hips era.

Kasabian. Best live UK band about the now.

They'd need to be very impressive to surpass the Manics, who have been the best British band I've seen live. Sigur Ros are probably just edging the Manics for my #1 spot, it was an experience even in the horrendous SECC.

Laura Marling puts on a lovely relaxed live performance. I reckon she'd be great in a small tent at a festival.

At the other end of the scale, looking back at the Arctic Monkeys and Paul Weller both were very poor in comparison to my top two. Still great to go and see them but they don't even compare to Sigur Ros and the Manics.

Sigur Ros was incredible. I may have been lucky in that the time and place - Golden Gate Park at twilight - was perfect, but it was a genuinely magical gig. The National are also superb live, even if the singer's voice is pretty thin.

A country band called The Wild Feathers were probably the best technical band I've seen live, with five musicians taking turns at lead, and they really know how to pace a festival set, so those guys would be way, way up there.

And so too Neil Young.

Other than bands I like, Beck puts on a great set, as do the Foo Fighters. Paul Weller is far louder than you might imagine.

On the other side, Youth Lagoon and the Smith Westerns are terrible live, and The Verve and Manic Street Preachers were pretty dull when I saw them.

Modest Mouse can be either dull or enthralling, depending on Isaac Brock's mood. And, perhaps, whether Johnny Marr is there or not.

Top 5 I have seen

Spiritualized (esp Lazer Guided Melodies era)

Suede

Tricky

Underworld

Chemical Brothers

I saw Spiritualized in Japan. He decided at the end of the gig, for no reason whatsoever, to smash up his amp with his guitar. Once the lights came up, he came back on with a brush pan and apologised to the staff who were having to clean up.

Archived