Amazing Live Bands

Ira Gaines

• 2 weeks later...
  • Replies 78
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Seen them at Gig on the Green in 2002 and they were terrific. Infact, that whole day was cracking nearly. The Offspring, Slipknot, NOFX, Amen, Flogging Molly and Biffy Clyro all played good sets that day.

Surprised there's no mention yet of Mogwai. Ear-splitting stuff in a confined space.

At Glastonbury this year, although the i-player doesn't do them justice.....a superb wall of noise.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/iplayer/episode/p02169t0/glastonbury-2014-mogwai-on-the-park-stage

And So I Watch You From Afar. Seen them five times and they just get better and better.

They're superb live. Did have a difficult decision to make a couple of years back when they were playing on the same night as Adebisi Shank who are just as, if not more, exciting.

There's a flaw in the arguments of most people here (including myself) in that the majority of bands we go to see live we already like and have paid money for, therefore we are expecting them to be good. It becomes a self-fulfilling prophecy. Maybe it would be better if we discussed bands that we expected to be poor / average but were surprisingly brilliant live.

I'll go first:

OMD (thought they would be some synth pop pish, and went to accompany a girlfriend, but they turned out to be a complete party!)

On a similar theme - support acts you didn't know much about who turned out to be ace live. Cold Water Flat and We Are The Physics were both excellent.

Miles Kane and Ocean Colour Scene are probably the best for me. However I'm gutted I've never had a chance to see David Bowie live.

I must give a mention to The Presidents of the United States of America - Seen them in The Garage on the tour supporting the Love Everybody album. Good set, good band/audience banter and an all round fun gig.

Did the band/audience banter involve the band flinging their own shite into the crowd?

Did the band/audience banter involve the band flinging their own shite into the crowd?

Funny story. Dillinger Escape Plan did actually do this in Glasgow, and on one of the dates of the Carling Weekend that same weekend.

Best I've seen live was Arcade Fire last November at the Barrowlands. That was a pretty incredible night, especially given the tickets were absolute golddust to get a hold of. Everyone after the gig in the lobby and the toilets were still singing Wake Up!

Saw them at barras on the Saturday last November. Unbelievable live.

Best I've seen live are

Arcade Fire

Springsteen

Kasabian (about dozen times since 2004)

OCS

Oasis (In their heyday)

The Verve (comeback gig at Academy)

For crowd reaction Stone Roses at first night Heaton Park. Glasgow Green was great day too.

Nee Order at Academy were outstanding too.

Miles Kane and Weller never disappoint.

Superb live gigs:

1. Feeder (live at Fat Sams in Dundee, not nearly as good in Glasgow O2)

2. Noel Gallagher

3. Coldplay

4. Kaiser Chiefs

5. Biffy Clyro

6. Stone Roses

7. Fleetwood Mac

Honourable mentions to:

Bon Jovi

Phil Collins

Kasabian

Keane

Twin Atlantic

Big disappointments:

The Killers

Beady Eye (still love Liam Gallagher though)

McFly

Stiff Little Fingers

The Skatalites (first time I saw them at the Lemon Tree)

Toots and the Maytals

Graham Coxon

Half Man Half Biscuit

The Stranglers

Worst was Morrissey, New Order (SECC), Airplanes Circle Overhead (Wickerman)

Miles Kane was terrific at T last year, he was properly up for it and full of energy which spread to the crowd. Looking forward to seeing Biffy at T this week, if it's anything like their set at Reading last year it'll be nuts.

Miles Kane was terrific at T last year, he was properly up for it and full of energy which spread to the crowd. Looking forward to seeing Biffy at T this week, if it's anything like their set at Reading last year it'll be nuts.

Aye, Miles Kane was excellent. He was also good the previous year in a similar slot on the same stage. Could watch Miles Kane do that slot in tuts every year.

Volbeat at the Garage in 2011 was one of the best gigs I have been to. Worth the wait after the gig 12 months before was cancelled due to illness. Saw them twice last November and they were excellent aswell. Tickets booked for three gigs in November this year. Can't get enough of them.

Trivium are always excellent live. Seen them 13 times now and every time I see them I think they can't get any better, but the next time they are.

Metallica and Iron Maiden never let you down.

Also enjoyed Bowling For Soup at the o2 Academy in 2009, Green Day at the SECC the same year, and also Fall Out Boy at the Hydro earlier this year.

Archived