Marcus Wareing New Masterchef: The Professionals Judge

Mel Hutchwright

I'm actually not blaming Marcus too much. It's the whole premise of the show - it's scowling at the contestants for being untidy, for producing food that isn't quite right. There's no encouragement (from any of the judges). Ordinary Masterchef, for all it's looking tired, at least has people smiling a bit and enjoying cooking. These guys look like if they don't produce a food masterclass, they'll be set upon by a swarm of slavering wolves.

• Replies 45
  • Created
  • Last Reply

At the risk of sounding like the total Michel fanboy I am, he was always very encouraging and could generally find something positive to say about just about any debacle dished up to him. I know that some considered him too nice, but you had Monica, with her arsenal of withering looks and comments, there to be the scary one. A good contrast of light and shade, which I felt worked well. Then you had Gregg being Gregg.

The Marcus and Monica dynamic isn't one I'm particularly enjoying on these initial viewings though. It's all a bit too staid and humourless.

Not a patch on Masterchef Australia: The Professionals that was on a while back.

No, gonna disagree here. I thought the Austrailian professionals one was really boring. Except the first guy to get eliminated of course...and his rant against the judges as Marco asked him to leave.

Have to add to the delight about that smug wee rat Chris being chucked out.

Not as smug as Sean Pertwee's voiceover, mind.

I've seen Pertwee in various TV dramas and don't recall his voice being as gravelly. Does he do these voiceovers at 9am after a heavy night of fags and spirits?

• 2 weeks later...

Jamie is very likeable, Brian is a typically dour Aberdonian but I am absolutely delighted that two Scots are through.

Luciana the canoe-head is away - huzzah! All she could cook were Brazilian dishes that nobody had heard of or could pronounce and she was almost through as the least worst every round.

I had Jonathon down as winner so very surprised he went out yesterday (or the day before if you watch it in real time).

I totally agree about Marcus Smugbeard. He brings nothing to the table but a withering negativity, and of course Harmonica Monica has that market cornered with far more panache.

Archived