Marcus Wareing New Masterchef: The Professionals Judge

Mel Hutchwright

The white smoke has been seen billowing from BBC Television Centre, and Marcus Wareing has been unveiled as Michel Roux Jr's successor...

http://www.theguardian.com/media/2014/jun/11/bbc-masterchef-the-professionals-marcus-wareing

I am far from enthused.

If I were a cynical man, which I am, I'd maybe suggest that this explains his uncharacteristically pleasant behaviour whilst judging the amateurs a few weeks back. The Machiavellian swine.

He will never replace Michel in my heart. No one can.

• Replies 45
  • Created
  • Last Reply

My fave part of Masterchef was Michel's classic dish (and obv the handshake) so yeah wont be the sme. My guess is they'll go for that Marcus Waring guy

BOOM! Nailed it.

• 4 months later...

Masterchef Australia is ridiculous. Hosted by a nice guy, a rottweiler and a pimp, it goes on forever and is pretty much X Factor in a kitchen. Features ridiculous rounds at the end of which contestants win immunity pins, Power Aprons, and genuinely good team challenges. It makes the BBC version look hoorna lazy; they think punting three contestants to a London restaurant for a lunch service is giving them a challenge, whereas the Australian one does an elimination featuring three rounds of cooking in one day.

Altogether too much time spent watching contestants cry because they miss their families and the like, plus there's at least one contestant in the current series who actually dumped his bird and quit his job to take part, and that's before we get to the uber-camp low-rent disco theme tune.

If they could get Gregg Wallace on it, it would take it to new levels of awesome.

Altogether too much time spent watching contestants cry because they miss their families and the like, plus there's at least one contestant in the current series who actually dumped his bird and quit his job to take part, and that's before we get to the uber-camp low-rent disco theme tune.

They actually use Katy Perry's "Hot and Cold" in Australia, but obviously Watch don't want to pay the money required.

I'm a big fan of Masterchef Australia, but agree it's a bit X-factor. The challenges against top chefs, and the tests set by the chefs are brilliant though. They also do episodes called masterclasses from time to time, where the presenters will take them through various techniques and recipes, which can be really interesting.

I'm struggling to get the energy to watch The Professionals now. It's so...serious and glum. Charmless.

Aye, I totally agree. For all that Marcus has softened his persona, the whole thing just seems kind of flat and a bit of a slog to watch. Michel's charisma really is desperately missed.

I do hope Marcus grows into the role but, at the risk of being too quick to condemn him, it doesn't look that promising at the moment.

Archived