Manchester United 14/15 thread

But why strengthen the team they will be up directly up against for fourth? Especially given the fact Giroud will be out for months. It really makes no sense whatsoever.

They don't think Welbeck strengthens them, certainly if the result is them not playing Sanchez central to accommodate a misfiring and bang average striker.

I agree with them.

• Replies 653
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Yeah, that's pretty much my thinking too. When was the last timne they attempted to address central midfield? Having the likes of Carrick, Cleverley and Fletcher there in recent seasons says it all.

Still looks really weak and their squad as you allude to looks like someone has just bought players without having any real idea what he wants to do with them all.

If you contrast that with Liverpool, they don't necessarily have the best players, but they have a system that they have 2 realistic options in each position. Man U certainly don't? Seems to be a wing and a prayer that 3 or 4 key individuals never get injured or lose form.

Daley Blind just won POTY after playing in central midfield with Ajax - put him alongside Herrera and there you have the central midfield. I don't this idea of he has bought players without having ant idea what he wants to do with them - wait until the injuries clear up, Rojo is eligible, etc.

Welbeck, Rafael, Fabio, Evans, Wes Brown, Darron Gibson, Kieron Richardson and Gerald Pique all did fine since coming through United's system.

Ronnie Wallwork and Luke Chadwick also got league winners medals to their name. They must have done something right.

Darron Gibson didn't just them until he was 17, same with Gerard Pique, Kieran Richardson, Fabio and Rafael. All spent the majority of their youth careers at other clubs before being signed.

Welbeck, Evans and Brown are the only ones who came through the ranks at United from that list.

Even their new bright hope Januzaj was brought in after being nurtured in a different clubs youth system.

They don't think Welbeck strengthens them, certainly if the result is them not playing Sanchez central to accommodate a misfiring and bang average striker.

I agree with them.

agreed, welbeck isnt a top 4 team starting striker, and never will be, arsenal fwiw panicked when remy chose chelsea, starting sanogo (sp) up front for 4 months is a nightmare scenario, at least welbeck can run around a lot,

Daley Blind just won POTY after playing in central midfield with Ajax - put him alongside Herrera and there you have the central midfield. I don't this idea of he has bought players without having ant idea what he wants to do with them - wait until the injuries clear up, Rojo is eligible, etc.

Yeah, as I've already said though, this is all on the basis that you can pick 11 players for the rest of the season and won't that be great?

Except, that isn't what happens. Players get injured, suspended, lose form, whatever. Man U have glaring squad weaknesses in key positions in a way none of Chelsea, Liverpool or Citeh do.

They are faced with trying to oust Arsenal from the top 4. Good luck with that.

Signing a player who's never played in the league is always a venture into the unknown, in their first season. Having 2 of them to anchor your midfield - mmm.

Remember Mesut Ozil's contributions last season? No, neither do i.

Signing a player who's never played in the league is always a venture into the unknown, in their first season. Having 2 of them to anchor your midfield - mmm.

Remember Mesut Ozil's contributions last season? No, neither do I.

Was fucking shite hot 'til Ramsey got injured, tbf.

Darron Gibson didn't just them until he was 17, same with Gerard Pique, Kieran Richardson, Fabio and Rafael. All spent the majority of their youth careers at other clubs before being signed.

Welbeck, Evans and Brown are the only ones who came through the ranks at United from that list.

Even their new bright hope Januzaj was brought in after being nurtured in a different clubs youth system.

So? Giggs was at Man City first. All of the above still went from Man United youth team to first team. That is coming through the ranks in every sense. Having a player from 13-16 with a few youth team games before he moves on doesn't mean that club "brought that player through". David Platt, for example, was on United's books before ending up a Crewe before getting his break. Means he is a Crewe youth product, not a United one.

EVERY top club signs young players for a fee. Has to happen now with the huge money in the game. Players are now getting signed up by clubs when they are younger than 10 years old.

It's irrelevant really. The people who deny it always will....unless it's their own club doing it.

Oh yeah, I also missed Paul Pogba from the list. ;)

Many clubs claim to have a 'way' or 'identity'. It may have been true in the 1960's, but no club has a set 'way' now and hasn't for years due to the freedom players have in moving around (which is a good thing).

Many fans want to believe that their club has a 'way' and isn't like most other clubs, but it simply isn't true. Many other fans of my club tried to make out that we did something special by playing loads youth players. They always mention 'our young team' and feel the need to remind people of the average age of the team. Many try to make out that it was some sort of radical move, missing out the facts that many other clubs in Scotland started doing it years ago and that we only did it because we had to.

So? Giggs was at Man City first. All of the above still went from Man United youth team to first team. That is coming through the ranks in every sense. Having a player from 13-16 with a few youth team games before he moves on doesn't mean that club "brought that player through". David Platt, for example, was on United's books before ending up a Crewe before getting his break. Means he is a Crewe youth product, not a United one.

EVERY top club signs young players for a fee. Has to happen now with the huge money in the game. Players are now getting signed up by clubs when they are younger than 10 years old.

It's irrelevant really. The people who deny it always will....unless it's their own club doing it.

Oh yeah, I also missed Paul Pogba from the list. ;)

Every one of those players played within two years of signing. They were "developed" by United for a year before stepping up if you're lucky. The clubs who spent half a decade or longer training them have a far bigger claim to be the team that "developed" them than the team that paid for them at 17 and then only gave them a year away from the first team. They aren't products of Uniteds youth system.

Many clubs claim to have a 'way' or 'identity'. It may have been true in the 1960's, but no club has a set 'way' now and hasn't for years due to the freedom players have in moving around (which is a good thing).

Many fans want to believe that their club has a 'way' and isn't like most other clubs, but it simply isn't true. Many other fans of my club tried to make out that we did something special by playing loads youth players. They always mention 'our young team' and feel the need to remind people of the average age of the team. Many try to make out that it was some sort of radical move, missing out the facts that many other clubs in Scotland started doing it years ago and that we only did it because we had to.

You could argue that both Barca and Bilbao have a 'way' and identity in terms of their teams. Doesn't happen in the UK though.

You could argue that both Barca and Bilbao have a 'way' and identity in terms of their teams. Doesn't happen in the UK though.

Bilbao are obvious xenophobes but I fail to see what 'way' Barcelona have offered, other than hoovering up talent with their vast resources just like everyone else.

Bilbao are obvious xenophobes but I fail to see what 'way' Barcelona have offered, other than hoovering up talent with their vast resources just like everyone else.

Barca do bring players in at a young age (very early teens), and build the passing system into their play. Money plays a huge part in it though so diminishes it slightly.

Aren't a lot of the youths actually from the area too though?

Xavi was born close to Barcelona. Puyol was born close to it aswell, but joined the club at 17, having spent years elsewhere. Iniesta was born a fair distance away but was bought at the age of 12.

Messi was bought at a very young age aswell, but only made that move purely because of the amount of money Barca had, and gave his parents. I imagine that sort of dodgy deal is the reason they've gotten into trouble lately.

It was only a very unique set of circumstances that allowed a club the size of Manchester United to cultivate the much lauded Class of 92. A set of circumstances that will never be seen again at a club the size of United.

Firstly, the club put a philosophy in place where they would bring their youngsters though. United has been garbage throughout the 80's, through chopping and changing their managers. Finally, when they brought Ferguson in he was given the time that the other managers were not given to basically start again at the club and develop the youth system. It all clicked for them at precisely the right moment when SKY invented football as we know it now and then the Champions League came in to being.

They are now back to chopping and changing managers with no real long term philosophy in place. They are a club in a mess at the moment, and are throwing money at a quick fix. I hope for them it works, because if it doesn't they could do a Leeds.

Archived