Manchester United 14/15 thread

• Replies 732
  • Created
  • Last Reply

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/football/29026398

Mike Phelan saying Man Utd's identity has been broken after selling Wellbeck. If Utd were still that good at producing top players from the youth academy then where the f**k are they then?! The fans demand success and everyone who doesn't actively support them wants to see them fail but lets just stick with Wellbeck Cleverly and Nick Powell as its the way of the club!!!

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/football/29026398

Mike Phelan saying Man Utd's identity has been broken after selling Wellbeck. If Utd were still that good at producing top players from the youth academy then where the f**k are they then?! The fans demand success and everyone who doesn't actively support them wants to see them fail but lets just stick with Wellbeck Cleverly and Nick Powell as its the way of the club!!!

Man Utd spout a lot of self-righteous pish about their 'philosophy' of producing young players. Since the class of '92 what players have they brought through their Academy who have made any real contribution to the first team? Fletcher and O'Shea are about as good as it gets, which kind of says it all.

Getting rid of the latest in a long line of academy graduates because they aren't good doesn't affect their identity in the slightest. What affects their identity is finishing 7th in the league due to having players who aren't good enough, like Welbeck.

Man Utd spout a lot of self-righteous pish about their 'philosophy' of producing young players. Since the class of '92 what players have they brought through their Academy who have made any real contribution to the first team? Fletcher and O'Shea are about as good as it gets, which kind of says it all.

Getting rid of the latest in a long line of academy graduates because they aren't good doesn't affect their identity in the slightest. What affects their identity is finishing 7th in the league due to having players who aren't good enough, like Welbeck.

Couldn't have said it better myself

The sale of Welbeck to Arsenal is a strange one when you actually think about.

United have just spent the best part of £150M to achieve one thing, a top four finish. At this stage I don't think they are strong enough to challenge for the title. I could be proved wrong of course.

But why strengthen the team they will be up directly up against for fourth? Especially given the fact Giroud will be out for months. It really makes no sense whatsoever.

As for the youngsters coming through the ranks thing, even up here you always find supporters getting more behind players that have been with the club from a young age. No matter what other fans think about them, the local players will always be defended and protected in a way by the fans. It also seems to be a rod to beat local rivals with. In fact, I can recall the lack of young scousers getting into the Liverpool team a source of great amusement to United fans and the gobshite media for many a year, until recently anyway.

# Nett Spend 92/03 - 13/14 Purchased Gross Sold Nett Per Season

1 Chelsea £1,040,649,000 £380,275,000 £660,374,000 £28,711,913

2 Manchester City £857,880,000 £262,453,000 £595,427,000 £25,888,130

3 Manchester United £759,350,000 £351,040,000 £408,310,000 £17,752,609

4 Liverpool £767,305,000 £435,470,000 £331,835,000 £14,427,609

Man united way is spendjng money on top players, when you take into account they had half a team for free for about ten years due to youngsters you could argue they have pretty much bought the title by adding to youth?

Pretty sure they bought the best player in England season after season until very recently.

Cantona, Ferdinand, cole, tried to buy shearer, van Percy, berbatov, tevez, carrick, van der sar, Rooney.

Welbeck, Rafael, Fabio, Evans, Wes Brown, Darron Gibson, Kieron Richardson and Gerald Pique all did fine since coming through United's system.

Ronnie Wallwork and Luke Chadwick also got league winners medals to their name. They must have done something right.

But why strengthen the team they will be up directly up against for fourth? Especially given the fact Giroud will be out for months. It really makes no sense whatsoever.

They don't think Welbeck strengthens them, certainly if the result is them not playing Sanchez central to accommodate a misfiring and bang average striker.

I agree with them.

Yeah, that's pretty much my thinking too. When was the last timne they attempted to address central midfield? Having the likes of Carrick, Cleverley and Fletcher there in recent seasons says it all.

Still looks really weak and their squad as you allude to looks like someone has just bought players without having any real idea what he wants to do with them all.

If you contrast that with Liverpool, they don't necessarily have the best players, but they have a system that they have 2 realistic options in each position. Man U certainly don't? Seems to be a wing and a prayer that 3 or 4 key individuals never get injured or lose form.

Daley Blind just won POTY after playing in central midfield with Ajax - put him alongside Herrera and there you have the central midfield. I don't this idea of he has bought players without having ant idea what he wants to do with them - wait until the injuries clear up, Rojo is eligible, etc.

Welbeck, Rafael, Fabio, Evans, Wes Brown, Darron Gibson, Kieron Richardson and Gerald Pique all did fine since coming through United's system.

Ronnie Wallwork and Luke Chadwick also got league winners medals to their name. They must have done something right.

Darron Gibson didn't just them until he was 17, same with Gerard Pique, Kieran Richardson, Fabio and Rafael. All spent the majority of their youth careers at other clubs before being signed.

Welbeck, Evans and Brown are the only ones who came through the ranks at United from that list.

Even their new bright hope Januzaj was brought in after being nurtured in a different clubs youth system.

They don't think Welbeck strengthens them, certainly if the result is them not playing Sanchez central to accommodate a misfiring and bang average striker.

I agree with them.

agreed, welbeck isnt a top 4 team starting striker, and never will be, arsenal fwiw panicked when remy chose chelsea, starting sanogo (sp) up front for 4 months is a nightmare scenario, at least welbeck can run around a lot,

Daley Blind just won POTY after playing in central midfield with Ajax - put him alongside Herrera and there you have the central midfield. I don't this idea of he has bought players without having ant idea what he wants to do with them - wait until the injuries clear up, Rojo is eligible, etc.

Yeah, as I've already said though, this is all on the basis that you can pick 11 players for the rest of the season and won't that be great?

Except, that isn't what happens. Players get injured, suspended, lose form, whatever. Man U have glaring squad weaknesses in key positions in a way none of Chelsea, Liverpool or Citeh do.

They are faced with trying to oust Arsenal from the top 4. Good luck with that.

Signing a player who's never played in the league is always a venture into the unknown, in their first season. Having 2 of them to anchor your midfield - mmm.

Remember Mesut Ozil's contributions last season? No, neither do i.

Signing a player who's never played in the league is always a venture into the unknown, in their first season. Having 2 of them to anchor your midfield - mmm.

Remember Mesut Ozil's contributions last season? No, neither do I.

Was fucking shite hot 'til Ramsey got injured, tbf.

Archived