Bonnyrigg Rose 2014/15

A.M

not quite hit top gear but really looking forward to when we do, someone is going to be on the end of a sore one. The ref was shite today, their goals were an off side and a very soft penalty, the 1st pen they got aye ok no arguements but then whenever they got in the box (all twice) they fell over. We are heading in right way thats for sure and when the wee man is back a think we will go up another gear

Couldn't have asked for a better start to McGlynns take over at the rose, it's really pleasing stuff. When the 'wee man' is ready to return he'll need to fight for his place back, no position is guaranteed.

• Replies 1.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Couldn't have asked for a better start to McGlynns take over at the rose, it's really pleasing stuff. When the 'wee man' is ready to return he'll need to fight for his place back, no position is guaranteed.

take yer hat off to Davy,he's had a good start and long may it continue'wee man'knows the script as places go in the team,might be back next week or 2 if he gets a place in the team.

Going to the game the morra on team bus,hope we can take a decent support,how's you guys getting there?

At least we won't have to worry about you coming in to the changing room tomorrow looking for your laddie's car keys then :P

A think the chase were trying to get a bus but never got enough numbers which is disappointing. I will be going up in my car.

See McGlynn was in evening news playing the fixture down a wee bit, no sure if he is trying to take pressure off the players saying "stability" is priority this season.

League and Junior Cup double is my priority lol

Seriously though a run in the cup would be great, tricky tie coming up but we should go there in confident mood.

I predict 4-1 Bonnyrigg

A think the chase were trying to get a bus but never got enough numbers which is disappointing. I will be going up in my car.

See McGlynn was in evening news playing the fixture down a wee bit, no sure if he is trying to take pressure off the players saying "stability" is priority this season.

League and Junior Cup double is my priority lol

Seriously though a run in the cup would be great, tricky tie coming up but we should go there in confident mood.

I predict 4-1 Bonnyrigg

Think the bus will be full mate,glad I got my name down for it now,aye don't see why we shouldn't be confident,good start to the game would be a bonus,never seen the Evening news piece,think the league is beyond us now if I'm honest but good cup run would be great.

Joe Hamill signed for the rose? Who's in the know?

The club are delighted to announce the signing of ex Heart of Midlothian, Livingston & Raith Rovers midfielder Joe Hamill on loan from Airdrie Utd.

Joe goes straight into the playing squad and is available for selection for our Scottish Junior Cup tie vs Tayport.

Hearts, heartbreak and Joe Hamill

Joe Hamill isn’t your average modern-day footballer.

In an era where football equals money and money equals football, Joe has never been a player to live the high life of Lionel Messi, Wayne Rooney or Cristiano Ronaldo.

Still though, unlike David Beckham and his jaunt off to Paris, at least Joe is picking up a weekly wage. However, that hasn’t always been the case for Joe – a player who knows all too well the darker side of the football financial world.

Joe’s former club, Hearts, have had their own well-documented off the field money problems in the past months, but it was Joe’s time at Livingston that prepared him to be the battle-hardened footballer he is today.

Livingston

“When I was Livingston, we went a month without getting paid and I know how it feels.”

“I had the same problem (referring to the late, sometimes non-payment, of players at Hearts) at Livingston and we ended up getting put down to the Third Division because of it.”

“Obviously when you’ve got bills and kids it’s hard. I heard that the players themselves didn’t want paid or whatever. “

“They’re doing their bit for the club as well which is good, but it’s not a nice situation to be in, but it looks like they’ve sorted something out anyway so they should just obviously concentrate on the football side of it now.”

joe-hamill-livi-picture.jpg?w=213&h=300

Joe Hamill during his time as a Livingston player

Despite the many setbacks Joe has had in his football career, he has also been blessed to work with some of the most reputable managers in Scottish football. John McGlynn (at both Hearts and Raith Rovers), Craig Levein (at Hearts and Leicester) and currently under the tutelage of Grant Murray being just three of the managers Joe has learned from.

Influence

As Joe explained, John McGlynn has had perhaps the biggest influence on his career.

“I’ve known John for over 10 years I’d say all in.”

“John was massive for my career. I was 15 or 16 when I started working under John, that’s when I first got to meet him and he’s helped me a lot – not just through the football side, even off it.”

“Then even when I moved away from Hearts I still kept in contact with John, and obviously when I came to Raith he did a great job with Raith.”

“I spoke to him when he was linked with a few clubs before and he was talking about Raith and saying Raith were in his heart and he couldn’t walk away at that time because he had just come into his own manager, he had just become a manager himself.”

“Obviously he’s done really well for Raith and this time Hearts have come up and anybody has got to jump at the chance to take Hearts or any SPL club.

None of the boys could say a bad thing about John. He deserved it so we just hope it goes well for him.”

Philosophy

For Joe, working under John McGlynn was one thing, but nothing could prepare him for the philosophy of Craig Levein.

“When Craig came into Hearts he told you what he wanted. Basically if you wanted to play for him, he told you there and then what you had to do for him – work hard was the most important thing. Work hard and then anything after that is a bonus.”

“He gave me my chance and I can’t thank him enough, and then he took me down to Leicester and again I can’t think him enough because that was a great experience. I enjoyed myself down there.”

“But obviously he’s taken the Scotland job and he was unlucky that things just didn’t work out, but I’m sure he’ll be alright.”

joe-hamill-hearts.jpg?w=610

A youthful-looking Joe Hamill started his football journey at Hearts

Hearts

Joe’s current manager is no stranger to him either. A former team mate of his at Hearts, Joe was re-united with Grant Murray at Raith Rovers when ‘Bert’ joined the Kirkcaldy side as a player in the summer of 2009, before taking the manager’s job when John McGlynn headed for Hearts in 2012.

“I think it was a couple of years that the gaffer was at Hearts when I was there as well.”

I’m enjoying working under the gaffer, so I’m just hoping we get a decent season and take it from there.”

“He’s stepped into management easy. He’s obviously played the game; he can still play it for a good couple of years I’d say. “

“He keeps himself fit and he’s done well so far as a manager, so hopefully everything works well for him.”

Minority

Joe, a boyhood Celtic fan, is in a football minority. Not only has he scored the winner for Hearts in an Edinburgh derby, but he has also scored a winner against Rangers in an SPL game at Ibrox.

“Aye, that was maybe about 12 years ago, 10 years ago something like that now. It was a long time ago (May 2004 to be exact), but I was young. I think it was a night game, I can’t remember the full story. My missus and that know more about it than me, but we won 1-0.”

For a Celtic fan, scoring the winner against Rangers at Ibrox should be a dream, but it was something that Joe was quick to play down.

“If I’m being honest, I don’t think of it as anything like that.”

“Maybe a couple of years after it, when you’re a Celtic fan and your friends are big Celtic fans, when they say things to you that’s when it kicks in.”

“Scoring at the time, it never felt like ‘I’m a Celtic fan, I’ve scored against Rangers’ or anything like that. It’s just when your family and friends say stuff then you realise it’s a big thing to do.”

Administration

Joe Hamill’s football career has gone through administration, relegation, league winner’s medals and European football, but even at 29 his career is only just getting started.

In his own words, “long may it continue.”

.................................................................................................................................

Looks like a good bit of business.

a poor 1st half performance but was put right in the second to run out 4-2 winners.

Like someone said to me at half time, someone needed to tell our ayers it was the Scottish Cup we were playing in today.

Once we got going we played some decent stuff, not many clear cut chances but dominated the 2nd half.

Excellent performance in very poor conditions. The wind played its part in the 1st half with Tayport able to play high up the pitch.

Fantastic formation change and worked really well with a vital goal before half time.

Only 1 winner in the second half aided by the formation and wind don't recall Tayport having a shot on target from 35 minutes -90 minutes. Not bad against a side with a unbeaten home record.

Thought the officials were a bit shakey with some strange calls throughout the game but again the conditions weren't easy for them. Thats 2 weeks in a row where the referee has rightly not taken to any back chat and had either been in charge at Nitten they would have had 3 or 4 sent off. They are very lucky and will be found out very soon.

Well done and a derby next week with Penicuik.

Has anyone else noticed that for the last 2 months this thread hasn't moved much - You only write when your losing!

Archived