Celtic European Campaign 2014-15

TheGreenMonster

• Replies 3.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

That's not the worst part in my opinion. The boy did serve his 3 match suspension - he missed 3 Euro matches. The mistake by the club was that he wasn't registered for the first tie (2 games) because they knew he was suspended - but the suspension is not served because he wasn't registered.

Its an absolutely horrible decision - and those that are calling for the secretary to be sacked are being overly harsh. The guy (or girl) has fallen foul of an administration rule. Yeah they should've known better - but absolutely no advantage was being gained - or tried to be gained.

I know the few arsehole Celtic posters (ie not the reasonable majority) will call me out for bias but it has f**k all to do with that - I'd be saying exactly the same if this was Ayr being put through in the Challenge Cup.

I hope the appeal is successful - and I hope Celtic go on a good run in the Europa League.

They've no grounds to appeal.

There's two rules in play - one from the Champions' League regulations:

18.01 In order to be eligible to participate in the UEFA club competitions, players

must be registered with UEFA within the requested deadlines to play for a

club and fulfil all the conditions set out in the following provisions. Only eligible

players can serve pending suspensions.

He wasn't registered for the St Pat's games, nor the first leg v Celtic = not "eligible" = unable to serve suspension = still suspended when registered for 2nd leg of Celtic.

UEFA then need to apply this rule from their Disciplinary Regulations:

21.2 A match is declared forfeit if a player who has been suspended following a disciplinary decision participates in the match.

Open and shut case really.

The only thing up for discussion is if the rules are too harsh and should have a bit more leniency built-in for scenarios exactly like this. But I doubt it'll be raised unless it happens to a "big" club.

Go read the rule.

I did

You can be registered in the squad without having to be named on the bench

Unless you're suggesting clubs have to use up a spot on the bench in order for a player to suspension?

More people will notice now.

Will they?

The nature of the defeat was bad for Celtic, but progressing in this way adds nothing negative to that. Certainly not for Scottish football.

Yes, one season without CL football was really going to peg Celtic back and allow other teams to compete with them financially.

Did I say or imply that it would?

Obviously that won't happen, but giving them yet more money helps them move yet further away and makes the chances of them continuing to f**k up in domestic Cups, lesser.

Will they?

The nature of the defeat was bad for Celtic, but progressing in this way adds nothing negative to that. Certainly not for Scottish football.

Yes, I'd imagine that Wednesday's result has just gained a much higher profile.

He's not participating until he takes part and he has to be named in the squad. As I said I have no clue is there a difference between the teamsheet and squad .. but irrelevant as the rules only cover participating in the match which doesn't cover sitting on your backside.

That's my point, surely the rule was broken as soon as they handed in the teams sheet?

I think there's been a few instances of this. I remember Spartans did it one year.

Falkirk have done it a couple of times in the past. Eamonn Bannon was sacked for some such balls up.

John Clark IIRC. Scored a winner against St Mirren. Didn't we have to replay it and lost?

There's two different squads - the "registered" squad that is a list of 25 players from which the club can pick 18 players each matchday (there's also a 'B' list which can replace players who are injured etc.)

There's then the individual matchday sqaud which is a proper subset of the registered squad - starting 11 + 7 subs. No-one else can take part in that particular match.

I did

You can be registered in the squad without having to be named on the bench

Unless you're suggesting clubs have to use up a spot on the bench in order for a player to suspension?

There are 18 players in a squad,

Match sheet
15.04 Before each match, each team receives a match sheet on which the numbers,
surnames, first names (and dates of birth for qualifying-phase and play-off
matches) and, if applicable, the shirt names of the 18 players in the squad
must be indicated, together with the surnames and first names of the officials
seated on the substitutes’ bench and on the additional technical seats. The
match sheet must be properly completed in block capitals, and signed by the
captain and the competent club official.
15.05 The 11 first-named players must commence the match. The other seven are
designated as substitutes. The numbers on the players’ shirts must
correspond with the numbers indicated on the match sheet. The goalkeepers
and team captain must be identified.
15.06 Both clubs must hand their match sheets to the referee at least 75 minutes
before kick-off.
15.07 The referee may ask to see the personal identity cards or passports of the
players listed on the match sheet. Each player participating in a UEFA
competition match must be in possession of a player’s registration licence
issued by his association or an official personal identity card / passport, each
containing his photograph and date of birth.
15.08 If the match sheet is not completed and returned in time, the matter will be
submitted to the Control and Disciplinary Body.
15.09 Only three of the substitutes listed on the match sheet may take part in the
match. A player who has been substituted may take no further part in the
match.
15.10 If there are fewer than seven players on either of the teams, the match is
abandoned. In this case, the Control and Disciplinary Body decides on the
consequences.

7 substitute places are available on the bench. A suspended player needs to be in the 18 man squad to serve his ban. Nowhere does it say suspended players are restricted from sitting on the bench.

Substitutes’ benches, technical seats and technical area
14.14 Only seven team officials, one of whom must be a team doctor, and seven
substitute players are allowed to sit on the substitutes’ bench, i.e. a total of 14
people. The names of all these persons and their functions must be listed on
the match sheet.
14.15 If space so permits, up to five additional technical seats are allowed for club
staff providing technical support to the team during the match (kit manager,
assistant physiotherapist, etc.). Such seats must be outside the technical area
and positioned at least five metres behind or to the side of the benches but
with access to the dressing rooms. The names of all these persons and their
functions must be listed on the match sheet.
14.16 Smoking is not allowed in the technical area during matches.
14.17 During the match, players and team officials listed on the match sheet are not
allowed access to any TV footage of the match

Forgive me if this is wrong or if it's already been answered, but

Legia have been punished for playing a suspended player who had already not participated in the relevant number of matches but his non-participation doesn't count because he wasn't involved in the European squad? Is that it?

Ed - I wrote & sent this post before the above one was there. What a stupid system.

A suspended player needs to be in the 18 man squad to serve his ban.

I don't think that's right - don't they just need to be named in the 25-man "registered" squad, from which the 18 is picked?

Forgive me if this is wrong or if it's already been answered, but

Legia have been punished for playing a suspended player who had already not participated in the relevant number of matches but his non-participation doesn't count because he wasn't involved in the European squad? Is that it?

Certainly looks that way.

John Clark IIRC. Scored a winner against St Mirren. Didn't we have to replay it and lost?

It was definitely John Clark - but I can't remember if it was replayed, or we were just horsed out.

I don't think that's right - don't they just need to be named in the 25-man "registered" squad, from which the 18 is picked?

You are probably correct. My bad Rico. Thanks master.

Archived