Celtic European Campaign 2014-15

TheGreenMonster

Not yet no. I'm planning to prattle on for a bit until it does.

I'm not suggesting that something wrong has been done here (although I do think some UEFA clubs are definitely more equal than others).

What I am saying though, is that the penalty is wildly disproportionate to the offence.

It demonstrably is.

Your continuing to say "Them's the rules" is very similar to how some good friends of yours and mine reacted to LMS. It trumps other arguments in that it dictates what will happen. It does not necessarily reflect what is right though.

The rules have been broken. The stipulated punishment has been applied.

It quite possibly absolutely, unequivocally had to be this way.

That however is not the same as saying what happened is fair, because it's not.

Not all official rules, regulations and penalties are fair in every application.

This is an occasion when what has happened is unjust.

MT take it up with UEFA as it was them whom applied the ruling upon Legia, and secondly it was stupid of Legia to have fielded a player they knew was still suspended.

• Replies 3.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Just found out there!

Absolutely mental - as has been said, it falls into the "harsh, but fair" category.

I'd love to see the face of whoever is responsible for keeping track of suspensions at Legia right now. Must feel, ah, a bit silly, to say the least.

The reaction of some Sevco fans on Facebook has been priceless, including gems like "So will Peter "Sporting Integrity" Lawell do the right thing and refuse Uefa's verdict, then?" Seethco, indeed.

No they would forfeit the game as those are the rules, UEFA would simply have no option. None of those teams would be so daft as to make such an error.

There you have it, densboys expert opinion...

Eh?

Elimination from the tournament obviously, courtesy of Celtic being awarded a 3-0 victory in Wednesday's match.

Should've scored one of they penalties in the first leg imo.

Can someone clarify btw, if Henning Berg doesn't bring on a defender whilst 6-1 up with 4 minutes to go, in order to shore up the defence and secure the result, are they still kicked out?

Gosh.

If you replaced UEFA with ASA or LMS, it really would be impossible to tell.

As unfair as it is MT it is Legia's fault for being stupid. I did expect when this came to light that UEFA would have given Legia a slap on the wrist and a fine seeing as Legia had embarrassed Celtic completely over the two legs before fielding the player they did.

As it stands Celtic are through to the last qualifier and to me is completely unfair to Legia whom were the far better side over 178 minutes, but in saying that it was extremely stupid of Legia to field the defender knowing at some point UEFA would have found out and would have investigated it.

Plain and simple Legia have been robbed of a momentous victory over Celtic and have been thrown out of the competition because of a silly oversight by the Legia management.

For me MT !, this means I can see Celtic getting pumped by Maribor and still have the good luck to watch Celtic in the Europa League because of an error by another club breaching the rules.

Life is unfair sometimes and at other times you get the rub of the green.

Any team that fields a suspended player will forfeit the game and lose 3-0 ...

It's a standard penalty and been applied in the past, did you complain then or is it the fact we benefited that makes it all suddenly so unfair?

Yes, I know. Why do you keep saying the same pointless thing?

I get that the penalty exists. I get that it probably had to be applied in this instance.

That is not the same as saying that it represents a fair outcome, given the circumstances. The very notion of fairness seems to be troubling you.

Of course I'm not usually as bothered when things like this happen. This one has benefited a club that I can't stand, that plays in my country but wishes to leave and which stands now to have a huge windfall.

It's also true that the actual circumstances here, from the margin of defeat, to the nature of the offence, are simply extraordinary.

As unfair as it is MT it is Legia's fault for being stupid. I did expect when this came to light that UEFA would have given Legia a slap on the wrist and a fine seeing as Legia had embarrassed Celtic completely over the two legs before fielding the player they did.

As it stands Celtic are through to the last qualifier and to me is completely unfair to Legia whom were the far better side over 178 minutes, but in saying that it was extremely stupid of Legia to field the defender knowing at some point UEFA would have found out and would have investigated it.

Plain and simple Legia have been robbed of a momentous victory over Celtic and have been thrown out of the competition because of a silly oversight by the Legia management.

For me MT !, this means I can see Celtic getting pumped by Maribor and still have the good luck to watch Celtic in the Europa League because of an error by another club breaching the rules.

Life is unfair sometimes and at other times you get the rub of the green.

We pretty much agree then.

The big and relatively powerful, do however, seem to enjoy the rub of the green more frequently.

Archived