Last Minute Holidays

dave258

After yet another soul destroying day at work and with nothing to look forward to in the near future, I decided today to book a week off in a few weeks time. The mrs is off work the same time, so we fancy trying to get away for a break in the sunshine.

She reckons that we would be best to just hold off until a few days before we want to go then head to a couple of travel agents and see what deals they have. I'm not convinced, thinking we're better booking something asap.

Anyone else done the last minute option before or any experiences to share?

When I worked in the Middle East a lovely nurse and I flew back to London on our work ticket and went to a travel agent in the airport, Thomas Cook I think, and asked what they had.

"When can you leave?" they asked.

Pointing to our luggage we said "Right now".

Their face was a picture and we got a dirt cheap two weeks in Cyprus.

Fair play, looks like we're better going with her idea then. Might try going in tomorrow and getting a few prices for this weekend just to see. Just looking for a wee break in the sun, not quite got the spending money for a big away trip to the US!

Old hippy mate of mine once got a fortnight in a Spanish campsite for £27. That included return flights. It helped that he stayed in London at the time. It was in the days before the internet when Ceefax on the telly was full of last minute deals. He booked at 9 in the morning and was on the plane at half 11.

Don't go to a travel agent, you're just paying over the odds.

Book Ryanair from Glasgow - plenty of sunny options, then use one of the following to find you digs:

onthebeach.com

travelrepublic.com

expedia.com

lastminute.com

The missus and I got four days all inclusive in Majorca (3 star) with flights for around £260 last year, just doing about half an hours research.

Don't go to a travel agent, you're just paying over the odds.

Book Ryanair from Glasgow - plenty of sunny options, then use one of the following to find you digs:

onthebeach.com

travelrepublic.com

expedia.com

lastminute.com

The missus and I got four days all inclusive in Majorca (3 star) with flights for around £260 last year, just doing about half an hours research.

Not necessarily the cheapest way, especially if you're not booking well in advance. Last minute package deals can be cheaper if they've got plane seats free and vacant block booked hotel rooms.

There used to be a travel agents in glasgow airport, Best holiday ive had is when i went into the airport and asked what they had leaving that or immediately offered 3 places went for cyprus for 2 weeks for 99 quid,flight and apartment in ayia napa,it was full of irish nurses,i still refer to it as shagfest 91 8)

Didn't even know there was a travel forum!

I usually book flights and hotels separately as it works out cheaper but flights appear to get more expensive closer to departure whereas packages do seem to be the cheapest of the cheap.

Plan is to browse through some websites to get a feel for the last minute prices on offer then go to a few travel agents and try to play them off against each other for a further discount.

Only downside is can't be quite as flexible on dates as I'd hoped. I finish work on the Friday at 4 and hoped to be on a plane that evening/next morning but her granny has selfishly decided to turn 70 on the Saturday meaning won't be leaving til Sunday/Monday.

Cheers for the advice lads, you're not as bad as people make out!

Didn't even know there was a travel forum!

I usually book flights and hotels separately as it works out cheaper but flights appear to get more expensive closer to departure whereas packages do seem to be the cheapest of the cheap.

Plan is to browse through some websites to get a feel for the last minute prices on offer then go to a few travel agents and try to play them off against each other for a further discount.

Only downside is can't be quite as flexible on dates as I'd hoped. I finish work on the Friday at 4 and hoped to be on a plane that evening/next morning but her granny has selfishly decided to turn 70 on the Saturday meaning won't be leaving til Sunday/Monday.

Cheers for the advice lads, you're not as bad as people make out!

She might croak before then.

• 2 weeks later...

There used to be a travel agents in glasgow airport, Best holiday ive had is when i went into the airport and asked what they had leaving that or immediately offered 3 places went for cyprus for 2 weeks for 99 quid,flight and apartment in ayia napa,it was full of irish nurses,i still refer to it as shagfest 91 8)

Agree with that, but only if your flexible where you go and accommodation is always nearly named on arrival. I did something similar to you with an ex off mine. I walked into a travel agent in Southampton on a Friday lunchtime and basically said what have you got going this evening or tomorrow from Gatwick or Heathrow for 7 nights.

The best deal we got was a 4 star, full board for £129 each, named accommodation on arrival, in Ibiza. Must admit, we got told San Antonio when we arrived and we pulled into the place at about 2am, started to wonder if what we did was a good thing.

Luckily, we were one of the last on the coach and they dropped us further around the bay, 20 minutes walk from the centre, but far enough away not to have the grief.

Brilliant way of doing things, if your not worried where you end up, it could have equally been a hotel in the centre of the island, miles away from anything.

Archived