Usa v belgium,bbc one 9pm

kevthedee

• Replies 494
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I reckon we've gone full circle with Belgium now. While they haven't been brilliant or anywhere close to matching the pre-tournament hype, people are suggesting they've been poorer than they really have been as a response to that hype. Yet they came through their group with three wins and so far tonight have been the better team creating all the chances.

Incidentally if you want to look for another team being hyped up too much the US are a fine example, having gotten out of their group with a win over an absurdly wasteful Ghana side when their defence was cut open on multiple occasions and a draw with a diabolical Portugal side. Yet few people are scrambling to talk about how ordinary the US are.

I don't think there can be any doubt that America have probably met their expectations. Belgium on the other hand were in some quarters being touted as dark horses. They are a good team but I can't see them really worrying the usual suspects at the business end of the competition.

Danny Murphy bringing out the "lets all laugh at the foreign names" card. Fucking hell.

He's not laughing at the foreign names - he's laughing at the commentator whose job it is to pronounce them. Massive difference.

I don't think there can be any doubt that America have probably met their expectations. Belgium on the other hand were in some quarters being touted as dark horses. They are a good team but I can't see them really worrying the usual suspects at the business end of the competition.

The usual suspects have already been worried by the likes of Mexico, Algeria, Switzerland and Chile.

Any team left in the tournament must fancy their chances (maybe with the exception of Costa Rica).

This has got shades of the Ghana game with the number of chances Belgium are getting without scoring, although at least here Belgium are failing to score through some excellent goalkeeping and defending rather than just being awful in front of goal.

Belgiums been good this game they should be cruising. That De Bruyne hasn't impressed at all though get Mirallas on for him. Origi been superb.

Aye, Origi looking comfortably excellent. Think De Bruyne has been good too though, but with not as good a final product.

Ooyafucker, how has Gonzalez's ankle not snapped clean off there :(

Archived