Argentina v Belgium, Saturday 9pm, BBC

Mr Bairn

Belgium reached the quarter finals, fucking Belgium. They haven't done anything like that for a long time, and haven't even come close to qualifying for the last 5 major tournaments. I think there are more people calling them overrated than there are those who have been talking them up. They are a very strong and efficient side who comfortably made the quarter finals of the world cup. Well done to them, the new England of world football, for a short while at least. They'll be very competitive at the next Euros, and again at the next world cup.

Theyre a good side. But this is the world cup, and that's where the very top teams rule.

They comfortably made the quarter finals due to an extremely easy draw, where they were proven to be abysmal.

If you can find a genuine 'very top team' in the current tournament, be sure to let us know.

• Replies 183
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I'd say Belgium performed pretty much to expectations really. They have enough about them to see off the dross in their group and a side like USA, but against one of the best sides in the world they are lacking. They have a good goalie, a good centre back and a skilled but unreliable forward in Hazard. The rest of the team is filled with Everton/Spurs standard of player, which just isn't good enough. Their lack of a decent centre forward will be what holds this squad back I'd say.

Belgium were absolutely terrible yesterday - they offered nothing in attack until late on, and they also let Argentina wander through their midfield at will for most of the game. Argentina should probably have won that by 3 or 4, and I reckon they would have done if Aguero and di Maria had been fit and playing for the whole game. A special mention for Eden Hazard, who was dreadful. He's clearly talented, but he doesn't do nearly enough for his team defensively, and tends to give the ball away a hell of a lot.

Archived