Who can take Talbot's throne this year?

Lt123

• Replies 56
  • Created
  • Last Reply

How times have changed, when Meadow were winning the League Talbot were only interested in the Scottish Cup the League didn't matter apparently!

I've always said that winning your League is a great achievement. I think the top 3 will be the same as last year, in what order time will tell.

Medda won the league twice a few seasons ago when I personally believe it was possible that Talbot could have done it. Talbot lost the league then rather than the Medda winning it and the reasons I believe was the state of our pitch and winter call offs cause it was frozen. I think there was at least a 7 week gap between games. This gave a backlog of games that had to be played in quick succession so it was a no brainer some games we weren't going to win. If we had played the games in the normal period I am confident Medda wouldn't have won those titles.

You can be the champions of Scotland by winning the junior cup while in a lower league but you can't be the best team in your region while in a lower league.

It's really a junior thing thinking winning a cup is better than winning your league,doesn't happen anywhere else, probably the leagues being regionalised is the main reason...and folk do like a good day oot at a final.Personally think the Scottish was devalued when it was moved from Hampden.

"It's really a junior thing thinking winning a cup is better than winning your league,doesn't happen anywhere else"

What about being crowned the Champions League Cup Winners?

I think the Glasgow big two would take that over the Scottish premier league championship

2006 maybe. A 25 yard Bryan Young free kick. Memories!

Meadow won 2012 title in second last game of the season v Largs at home at end of May. Also infamously in 2009 Meadow won the league thanks to Talbot beating Pollok in final league game after Pollok went ahead and we had completed our league fixtures. Cheers Talbot :-D

Medda won the league twice a few seasons ago when I personally believe it was possible that Talbot could have done it. Talbot lost the league then rather than the Medda winning it and the reasons I believe was the state of our pitch and winter call offs cause it was frozen. I think there was at least a 7 week gap between games. This gave a backlog of games that had to be played in quick succession so it was a no brainer some games we weren't going to win. If we had played the games in the normal period I am confident Medda wouldn't have won those titles.

Its a myth as in 2011-2012 season Talbot dropped 15 points in your first 10 games before end of 2011 so why you didnt win league that year. I am sure similar in 2010-11 that a poor start meant you were well out title race before 3 games a week in April.

You have a much more consistent league team now and favourites for 3 in a row. But wasnt due to postponed games you didnt win titles before, Meadow were worthy winners. We were 9 points ahead of Talbot in 2012 and 16 points ahead in 2011 so wasn't luck or postponed games to be that far ahead.

Hurlford will be Talbots biggest danger this season,but they need to get games played on the bad weather.

Bankies have lost a few talented lads, but they will be replaced, & if they get off to a good start will have another good season.

I find the league v cup debate interesting.

Normally I would rather be champions. But in the Junior game I would rather win the Scottish Cup.

"It's really a junior thing thinking winning a cup is better than winning your league,doesn't happen anywhere else"

What about being crowned the Champions League Cup Winners?

I think the Glasgow big two would take that over the Scottish premier league championship

Haha,aye but you have to do well in the league previous season to qualify for Champs League,not even winners of English FA Cup get into it...it is then played in mini leagues until the knockouts kick in.

Fact is Craigmark could win Junior cup but can't win Super League,they could win the Junior cup without even winning a match by winning every game on pens.

Every club is in the cup but you don't always have to beat the best teams to win it.

Its a myth as in 2011-2012 season Talbot dropped 15 points in your first 10 games before end of 2011 so why you didnt win league that year. I am sure similar in 2010-11 that a poor start meant you were well out title race before 3 games a week in April.

You have a much more consistent league team now and favourites for 3 in a row. But wasnt due to postponed games you didnt win titles before, Meadow were worthy winners. We were 9 points ahead of Talbot in 2012 and 16 points ahead in 2011 so wasn't luck or postponed games to be that far ahead.

Ok Fair enough with a great reply Shannon. As I said it was just a personal opinion but thanks for putting me right:p

Meadow won 2012 title in second last game of the season v Largs at home at end of May. Also infamously in 2009 Meadow won the league thanks to Talbot beating Pollok in final league game after Pollok went ahead and we had completed our league fixtures. Cheers Talbot :-D

We were accused of going to fling this match, but as Bryan Slavin said before the game "Nobody is going to be presented a trophy at Beechwood unless its us!"

Haha,aye but you have to do well in the league previous season to qualify for Champs League,not even winners of English FA Cup get into it...it is then played in mini leagues until the knockouts kick in.

Fact is Craigmark could win Junior cup but can't win Super League,they could win the Junior cup without even winning a match by winning every game on pens.

Every club is in the cup but you don't always have to beat the best teams to win it.

Yet in their fairly long history Craigmark have got nowhere near it, and not just them, what about very good successful clubs, like Beith who deservedly won the premier title but just can't get to that big Scottish final never mind win it. A club in my opinion that have the potential so it does demonstrate how hard it is. Yes, knock out football can deliver some surprise results, and a mixture of good luck and raising your game can sometimes result in a shock, Shotts a few seasons back for example. Your Craigmark analogy weakens your otherwise good point. Technically they could win the William Hill Scottish, but it is never going to happen. The fact that the league is regional kind of makes the debate moot, comparing a national knockout with a regional league is not possible. Also, to say that a league winner is always the best team in a set up of 22 games played in a climate where games are regularly postponed is pushing it a bit. Circumstance and luck can also play a part!

• 11 months later...

I would hope Medda provide a stronger challenge.

Hurlford will be in the shake up as well if they can get more games played,in the winter months.

They should seriously consider taking some home fixtures to Cumnocks new ground, if they have a problem with their own pitch.

Don't see a strong challenge coming from anywhere else next season.

Largs are my tip for the season after.

The main difference, at least in my time watching the juniors is that the West champions are usually known well before the end of the season whereas the Scottish cup is only decided after a final.

The last two seasons have been pretty dull at the top as we all knew from an early stage that Talbot would win the league and that it was just a matter of when. The league rarely offers the one-off excitement that a final does.

When was the last time the West Superleague was decided on the last day or last game of the season?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?t=22&v=WOCWeK4Tmrc this was close enough to the last game and was a decider.

I would hope Medda provide a stronger challenge.

Hurlford will be in the shake up as well if they can get more games played,in the winter months.

They should seriously consider taking some home fixtures to Cumnocks new ground, if they have a problem with their own pitch.

Don't see a strong challenge coming from anywhere else next season.

Largs are my tip for the season after.

Any reason Largs are your top for the following season?

Archived