Who can take Talbot's throne this year?

Lt123

its definitely the tournament ( league ) that makes the best team. 22 games against teams that are your peers - against what - around 7 or 8 games against teams that can be far inferior ...

Aye but what would you rather see your team win ? Give me the Scottish Cup every time, don't get me wrong the league is great to win but there is no better feeling than watching your team lift the Scottish. Sure a few Linlithgow fans would probably tell you the same.

• Replies 56
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Just to add a think any team is capable of winning the league. If a team gets a good start and keeps the momentum going for a few games, points on the board is better than playing catch up. Like what Beith did a few years back.

its definitely the tournament ( league ) that makes the best team. 22 games against teams that are your peers - against what - around 7 or 8 games against teams that can be far inferior ...

This old chestnut, the leagues are regional, the Scottish is not, one a knock out the other second bite stuff, they are actually incomparable. Yes 7 or 8 games, but one bad day and goodnight. There was no such debate that I can remember before the new league set up. Just seems to have developed with the merger. Scottish for me every time, but will take either one this season!

It will all depend on who tucker Sloan signs between now and the start of the new season whether Talbot will win the league again. Talbot have about 10 quality players they really need to strengthen their starting eleven as the loss of Pettigrew is massive, can Mark Campbell be an able replacement........don't see it myself. Talbot will still be in the top 3 come the end of the season but if they want to be champions again they need a couple of really good players as the Medda and one or two others will push them all the way.

League is the hardest to win that's not even up for debate , to win the east or west super league is much harder than the Scottish to win , shotts won it went down , glencairn semis and weren't close to getting promoted

League is the hardest to win that's not even up for debate , to win the east or west super league is much harder than the Scottish to win , shotts won it went down , glencairn semis and weren't close to getting promoted

Not in the end but Rutherglen had a backlog of fixtures that year which no doubt contributed to them not being promoted.

In the league you can lose a couple and still be OK - in the cup you lose one and you've had it.

Aye but what would you rather see your team win ? Give me the Scottish Cup every time, don't get me wrong the league is great to win but there is no better feeling than watching your team lift the Scottish. Sure a few Linlithgow fans would probably tell you the same.

Agree, but not by as much as I used to.

The introduction of the Superleagues and the subsequent Scottish Cup place for the champions has greatly lifted the prestige of the leagues IMO.

You can be the champions of Scotland by winning the junior cup while in a lower league but you can't be the best team in your region while in a lower league.

It's really a junior thing thinking winning a cup is better than winning your league,doesn't happen anywhere else, probably the leagues being regionalised is the main reason...and folk do like a good day oot at a final.Personally think the Scottish was devalued when it was moved from Hampden.

You can be the champions of Scotland by winning the junior cup while in a lower league but you can't be the best team in your region while in a lower league.

It's really a junior thing thinking winning a cup is better than winning your league,doesn't happen anywhere else, probably the leagues being regionalised is the main reason...and folk do like a good day oot at a final.Personally think the Scottish was devalued when it was moved from Hampden.

The main problem is that the leagues are regional, the only national competition is the Scottish there is no way to compare. Safe to say if a team wins the double it would be difficult to argue against them being the best.

it`s all about expectations.

for the league title it`s a gradual move to the finishing line,then relief when your team are crowned CHAMPIONS of that league,it`s a fantastic experience.

for the scottish cup?

happy days,you know when it is and the whole place is buzzing.extra buses being booked,garden parties being arranged(before and after the game),wives and weans told "aye yur goan" you WILL remember this for the rest of your life.

mascot competitions and the best dressed house or shop!

it`s the best day out in the whole year.think you can tell i missed it this year but the truth is i might never see my team in another scottish cup final.(keep wishing)

that`s why its special to SEE your team crowned scottish cup WINNERS.

who will win these competitions? i wouldn`t like to put money on it.

Anno wit they r it was just the whole use have them before in after the game like the whole town is partying just wished more people from this town would do the same. Take more pride n there local team instead of going 2 the old firm wanks.fair play

The main difference, at least in my time watching the juniors is that the West champions are usually known well before the end of the season whereas the Scottish cup is only decided after a final.

The last two seasons have been pretty dull at the top as we all knew from an early stage that Talbot would win the league and that it was just a matter of when. The league rarely offers the one-off excitement that a final does.

When was the last time the West Superleague was decided on the last day or last game of the season?

Just to add a think any team is capable of winning the league. If a team gets a good start and keeps the momentum going for a few games, points on the board is better than playing catch up. Like what Beith did a few years back.

What?!

You only win a league by being the best team in it that season. There is no luck of the draw or having a bad day excuse. Whether that is my team or any other.

What is better or more important, the league or the Scottish? Well the beaks currently settle the argument by giving replays priority over league fixtures.

Archived