Petrol Money

• Replies 87
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • 2 weeks later...

A 'mate' of mine does this, gets on my tits. Doesn't have a car so if I'm ever going to Motherwell games he just says 'you are going anyway' and pays f**k all. Folk don't realise that by choosing to not have a car you are saving literally thousands a year. Slinging someone a ten spot for a journey is nothing compared to what the driver pays.

What's worse is when you have to pay parking and a non driver getting a lift from you doesn't even think about paying it, let alone halfers, again the mentality is 'you woukd need to pay it anyway'.

A 'mate' of mine does this, gets on my tits. Doesn't have a car so if I'm ever going to Motherwell games he just says 'you are going anyway' and pays f**k all. Folk don't realise that by choosing to not have a car you are saving literally thousands a year. Slinging someone a ten spot for a journey is nothing compared to what the driver pays.

What's worse is when you have to pay parking and a non driver getting a lift from you doesn't even think about paying it, let alone halfers, again the mentality is 'you woukd need to pay it anyway'.

These guys sound like bawbags. Get them telt.

Guy I know's mother in law is forever going on holiday - he said he didn't mind driving her across to Glasgow Airport but spat the dummy out when she was flying out from Newcastle at 7am and he was effectively expected to drive her down overnight. He told his missus she could get the train down, spend the night in a hotel and make her own way to the airport in a taxi.

Her response: "Oh but she's an old woman!"

His immortal riposte: "She's young enough to be whoring it in Benidorm..."

Guest The Phoenix

Many moons ago when I worked in Glasgow, I used to give a colleague a lift to and from Stirling. He lived in Dunblane and I picked him up and dropped him off at Stirling Train Station.

We agreed a daily amount at the outset (I.e. he got telt).

Whilst the money was handy, it was a real chore having to work around each other's start and finish times.

He was also a odd fellow with zero inter personal skills and I used to just turn on the radio and pass the journey without conversation.

I remember well the time I forgot he was there (he was sat in the back because I'd given another colleague a lift to Cumbernauld) and he never said a word until I pulled up outside my house!

He was also a odd fellow with zero inter personal skills and I used to just turn on the radio and pass the journey without conversation.

This is a fine art for anybody. Even if myself and a good mate are travelling across the width of the country, we appreciate that you don't need to yap away the whole time and that you can have 'comfortable silences'. However, it's probably more difficult with friends of friends or colleagues though where folk just feel the need to make small talk the whole way through so that the other doesn't think they're unsociable as a near first impression.

I've seen people hitch a lift and say absolutely nothing but "hello, how are you doing?" and "thanks, bye" though!

Archived