Petrol Money

Is charging someone petrol money a sound thing to do? I've heard a lot of conflicting reports on the matter, but I don't really see why the driver should provide free travel to someone even though they would be going that way anyway.

I currently drive someone 30 miles each way (45 mins) per working day. What would be reasonable to ask for (£30 has been forthcoming so far over a 5 week period, and it's cost me over £80 a week)? It's pretty awkward as well, asking someone for cash constantly. Or is it being stingy?

• Replies 87
  • Created
  • Last Reply

It's not stingy.

It's also something that should have been sorted at the outset, as it will be more difficult now, but that's a moot point.

I think you need to take into account (as does the other person) how much it would cost them to take other means of transport, how reliable and time consuming that is, and decide how much is fair to both parties.

Also how out of your way you need to go to give that person a lift there and back.

Another consideration is how much, if at all, you like that person.

Edit for poor spelling!

If someone was giving me a lift to work every day,I would offer to pay a fair share of the petrol money.

It's only,in my view, common courtesy,after all the heavier the load,the larger the fuel consumption

If you both had a car and shared the driving by taking your own motor week about it would be costing the driver £80.00/fortnight going by what you posted, so £40.00 a week seems fair, on the face of it.

They should definitely pay but if you don't ask from the start then it gets awkward.

Had this once, made things uncomfortable as they would occasionally offer money then not pay for ages.

Like others have said try getting into work on public transport for the same cash - door to door.

take the forty.NO tell them its forty or the bus.its your car and above the petrol you also have tax,insurance wear and tear etc.

but at the end off the day the person should be telling you he is chipping in.

btw hope he is on here lol.

The disappointing thing is that it appears you have to ask for the money. If you are taking a lift from someone that person should always offer to chip in.

Aye, this. I give a guy from my work a lift home most days, I pass directly by his front door on my way home so I'm not going out my way but every Friday he'll buy me a few beers. Never asked for money or beer, it's just a bit of courtesy. Sounds like the person being offered the lift here is doing so because he thinks he can get it for free. I'd agree with the others saying make him take public transport for a while, see if his attitude changes.

Failing that, kick him in the pie.

The disappointing thing is that it appears you have to ask for the money. If you are taking a lift from someone that person should always offer to chip in.

^^^ this.

Complete dick move to make you ask several times. Should be giving you 10/20 quid at the end of every week without prompting.

Is charging someone petrol money a sound thing to do? I've heard a lot of conflicting reports on the matter, but I don't really see why the driver should provide free travel to someone even though they would be going that way anyway.

I currently drive someone 30 miles each way (45 mins) per working day. What would be reasonable to ask for (£30 has been forthcoming so far over a 5 week period, and it's cost me over £80 a week)? It's pretty awkward as well, asking someone for cash constantly. Or is it being stingy?

The guys is obviously thinking it's a freebie, I suppose you've either got to chin him for the cash and arrange some sort of payday deal. Or just burn the c**t and drive there yourself.

Personally, if he hadn't offered in the first place i wouldn't let him scrounge a lift again.

Ask him for the money. If he refuses get his address on here and the P&B masses will go round and give him a booting

Was the lift to work offered or asked for?

By offering to give someone a lift I'd expect at least a few quid, couple of beers or my lunch bought a couple times a week. If it was asked for then they should undoubtedly chip in without being asked.

If you're not going out of your way, I see no need to pay petrol money. You're doing him a favour and he should be grateful but to expect regular payment is outrageous, IMO.

I used to give a colleague a lift home every night without even a thought of petrol money. I got a Christmas and engagement present because they were grateful for my kindness. That's enough for me.

Archived