Motherwell FC 2014/15 season

• Replies 402
  • Created
  • Last Reply

My favourite goal was Ross Forbes' against us in our first game back up.

Sorry for intruding btw.

I thought that was going high and wide, then it just dipped and curled right into the top corner.

1. Scottish Cup v Dundee Utd. John Philliben equalises in the dying minutes having been 2-0 down.

2. Willie Kinniburgh header v Celtic. Puts us 4-3 up having been losing 3-1 at half time. Literally almost fainted from jumping and screaming!

3. Jutkiewicz, 6-6. Grabbed a complete stranger with both hands and just screamed "WHAT A GOAL!! WHAT A GOAL!!! WHAT A GOAL!!!!" for about 3 minutes.

4. Ibrox, Losing 1-0, come back and win 2-1 with two late Dougie Arnott goals. First ever win at Ibrox for me. Another hug a stranger night.

5. Marc Fitzpatrick. 120th minute winner to take us to the Final. Absolute mayhem. Guys ending up 4 rows away from where their seat was, Steamers taking headers down the stairs. General insanity. Also quietest bus home ever. Everyone had no voice and was completely mentally and physically fucked.

The Cup Final was too stressful for me to really enjoy it. It was torture.

After todays display we need go away and prepare for the play off, in my opinion, Ross County will beat Saints on Monday to all but secure their SPL status.

Any chance of taking your shite sigs, crappy wee made up strips and horrendous patter back to Steelmen Online? You don't half talk some amount of negative shite.

At worst, we'll be 6 behind County with 5 games to go, including one at Fir Park. Aye, lost cause right enough.

Any chance of taking your shite sigs, crappy wee made up strips and horrendous patter back to Steelmen Online? You don't half talk some amount of negative shite.

At worst, we'll be 6 behind County with 5 games to go, including one at Fir Park. Aye, lost cause right enough.

Sadly football is all about opinions and I and many other people choose to believe that we are heading for the play-off spot, however, I will be extremely happy to be proved wrong on that one. Football forums are all about opinion and I happen to have a different one to yourself. For the record, I don’t think that we are a lost cause, however, when you have supported Motherwell for over 50 years you get a sense when something is not going to go your way. I have experienced us being relegated several times, first in 1968 and twice in the early 80’s. These where some of my lowest points supporting Motherwell and I have no desire to see it happen again. If as expected, County beat Saints on Monday night we will be going into the split 6 points adrift with only 15 left to play for. With the form they are in, I fully expect County to gather the points required to secure their premiership status (Yes I know we still have to play them again). This only leaves Thistle and Kilmarnock who currently sit 7 points ahead of us, whilst not impossible, this is a gap that even you must believe will be very difficult to claw back. If we can finish 10th it will be one of our greatest escapes ever. Until it’s mathematically impossible for us not to be in the play off spot I will be hoping that we can avoid that prospect, however, as each game passes it is looking more and more likely that we will be facing a championship side to secure our premiership status. If that comes to pass, I will be, praying that we can overcome Sevco/Hibs/Queen of the South or whoever is presented with the opportunity to play us.
On my ‘crappy wee made up strips’ once again it’s all about opinion (I mainly do these for my own enjoyment), however, thankfully Motherwell F.C. and the companies who pay me and the people I have worked for thought differently about the quality of my design work. However, I thank you for your ‘in-depth’ critical analysis, just curious, which art/design school/company did/do you study at or work for? It’s always nice to receive critique from ones peers.
PS: I will happily remove my ‘shite sig’ when we are either safe from relegation or indeed relegated.

In my opinion it is now time for the club to actively start preparing for the playoffs and relegation should the worst happen. As bad as this sounds, it might actually work in our favour in a playoff if it was confirmed mathematically that we will finish 11th as early as possible, that way we will have the time to prepare mentally for what will be a gut wrenching, high pressure tie. If we were to hang in there still in with a chance until the last game of the season, as I think Hibs did last season, it could seriously deflate us and sap confidence and energy out of the players who would then have only a week and a bit before facing the first leg of the playoff. Whoever we end up playing, their momentum will be in the complete opposite direction from ours which will give them a huge advantage over us straight away so we need to be fully prepared both mentally and phsically if we are to stand any chance.

Tbf, I still use Steelmen from time to time (minus 38 rep last I checked ;) ) and underboyleheating is one of the saner posters.

On my ‘crappy wee made up strips’ once again it’s all about opinion (I mainly do these for my own enjoyment), however, thankfully Motherwell F.C. and the companies who pay me and the people I have worked for thought differently about the quality of my design work. However, I thank you for your ‘in-depth’ critical analysis, just curious, which art/design school/company did/do you study at or work for? It’s always nice to receive critique from ones peers.

:lol: :lol:

Art school. It all makes sense now.

Sadly football is all about opinions and I and many other people choose to believe that we are heading for the play-off spot, however, I will be extremely happy to be proved wrong on that one. Football forums are all about opinion and I happen to have a different one to yourself. For the record, I don’t think that we are a lost cause, however, when you have supported Motherwell for over 50 years you get a sense when something is not going to go your way. I have experienced us being relegated several times, first in 1968 and twice in the early 80’s. These where some of my lowest points supporting Motherwell and I have no desire to see it happen again. If as expected, County beat Saints on Monday night we will be going into the split 6 points adrift with only 15 left to play for. With the form they are in, I fully expect County to gather the points required to secure their premiership status (Yes I know we still have to play them again). This only leaves Thistle and Kilmarnock who currently sit 7 points ahead of us, whilst not impossible, this is a gap that even you must believe will be very difficult to claw back. If we can finish 10th it will be one of our greatest escapes ever. Until it’s mathematically impossible for us not to be in the play off spot I will be hoping that we can avoid that prospect, however, as each game passes it is looking more and more likely that we will be facing a championship side to secure our premiership status. If that comes to pass, I will be, praying that we can overcome Sevco/Hibs/Queen of the South or whoever is presented with the opportunity to play us.
PS: I will happily remove my ‘shite sig’ when we are either safe from relegation or indeed relegated.

187.gif

:lol: :lol:

Art school. It all makes sense now.

Do enlighten me, in what way? :huh:
I accept that we have differing opinions on how Motherwell’s season will eventually pan out, however, myself and many other Well fans believe that we will be in the play offs (for what it’s worth, I hope I am wrong).
Mon the Well!

I'd be preparing for the Rangers tie already if I was Barraclough. Unless it's Hibs, in which case, let them back up. They're nice.

I would actually give us more of a chance of overcoming Hibs in the playoff rather than QoS or 'Rangers', as they are historically, even bigger bottle merchants than Motherwell are when it comes to the big occasion. I don't think there's much difference in terms of overall quality between ourselves and the three sides we could potentially play but ultimately it will come down to who wants to win it more and who holds their nerve. Naturally you'd expect the Championship side to have upward momentum having just seen off their rivals in two rounds previously which would be a massive advantage so we are going to have to play the games of our life over both games in order to survive. Sadly I've supported Motherwell long enough to know that when we are faced with a big match, nine times out of ten we fail to perform.

I would actually give us more of a chance of overcoming Hibs in the playoff rather than QoS or 'Rangers', as they are historically, even bigger bottle merchants than Motherwell are when it comes to the big occasion. I don't think there's much difference in terms of overall quality between ourselves and the three sides we could potentially play but ultimately it will come down to who wants to win it more and who holds their nerve. Naturally you'd expect the Championship side to have upward momentum having just seen off their rivals in two rounds previously which would be a massive advantage so we are going to have to play the games of our life over both games in order to survive. Sadly I've supported Motherwell long enough to know that when we are faced with a big match, nine times out of ten we fail to perform.

Agree with most of what you say there, but you let yourself down with the " when we are faced with a big match, nine times out of ten we fail to perform" myth. Up there with the "when a team is on a bad run, they're guaranteed three points against Motherwell", and "hasn't scored in 12 games? Shoe-in for a goal at Fir Park".

Like you say, there's not much between Motherwell and the three Championship sides. There's every chance we could win three or four games before the end of the season and still end up 11th, so we can go into a potential play-off with form.

An on-form front four of Johnson, Erwin, McDonald and Ainsworth will cause plenty of damage to any of those Championship sides. Would you swap any of those four for anyone from the Championship sides? I wouldn't.

If it is to be Rangers we face, absolutely nothing to fear from them. Hibs and Qots will be equally as tough, but i'd be confident of a win.

Archived