Morton V Berwick Petrofac Round 2

• Replies 79
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Having a striker has made a big difference and playing two upfront on Saturday suited McManus far better than the lone striker role he played at Ayr. I think we will be a lot more dangerous tomorrow than the first time we played Berwick.

We have looked pretty solid at the back all season so far but midfield has been not combative enough and we have been toothless upfront. Signing McManus looks like a major coup in the striker stakes and on Saturday we had two central midfielders in central midfield and two natural wide players on the sides and for the first time this season midfield looked to have a bit of balance

Maybe I let myself get carried away a bit but, Miller I think does OK in the deep midfield role although I accept he was a defender with Dumbarton. Pepper I believe was touted as being able to play anywhere across the midfield but played centrally mostly. I might be wrong but lets just say that we had two guys making a reasonable fist of playing in central midfield and two natural wide players. The combination seemed to work. Even when Stranraer had 11 on the park, the move to create the goal chance that led to the sending off/PK was very nice indeed. After the sending off we ran over the top of them which you might expect but how many times have we seen Morton teams being absolutely clueless in breaking down 10 men - QoS at Cappielow last season springs to mind.

Let's hope we stick to the passing game we saw on Saturday rather than reverting to the hoofball which saw us barely scrape a win in the last game with Berwick. We looked a completely different and vastly superior team with the ball on the deck.

Let's hope we stick to the passing game we saw on Saturday rather than reverting to the hoofball which saw us barely scrape a win in the last game with Berwick. We looked a completely different and vastly superior team with the ball on the deck.

I don't think it was all nice passing through midfield but apart from a few hacks anywhere to safety, most of the long balls were aimed. Milojevic's pass for McCluskey's goal was a cracker. Stranraer never really coped with the way we mixed our play.

I don't think it was all nice passing through midfield but apart from a few hacks anywhere to safety, most of the long balls were aimed. Milojevic's pass for McCluskey's goal was a cracker. Stranraer never really coped with the way we mixed our play.

The difference, as you pointed out earlier, was having 2 players out wide and 2 up front. That gave us far more outlets for our long balls than against Ayr. Not only this, it also allowed Pepper to get on the ball further up the pitch and control things there. It was still a similar approach, it was just far easier to find a man up the pitch.

Can't go along with us having central midfield players though. Pepper can play there because he's a talented player, but I'd like to see him in a more advanced role. Miller plays like a centre half playing in midfield, and he only thinks he can pass to the full back. We're very open to being dominated in there like we were against Ayr.

Am worried we let the usual lead slip and Morton are allowed back into the game...probably second half(!)

Where's the best place to park btw?

Sinclair St car park beside the stadium is £3. Should be able to park on any of the streets behind Cappielow, I don't imagine it'll be that busy!

Do folk still park in the marina car park/area across the road?

I thought some of our lot were two faced. Duffy haters to lovers in 90mins. :-D

No one said they 'loved' Jim Duffy, in fact I'm pretty sure most of us dislike him. Just a bit of positivity from our fans because we actually looked like a football team at the weekend. Nice to see you are so much though, Cute.

The ref was determined to f*ck us over in every way possible tonight. If he couldn't do it in the 120 minutes he sent a player off in the last minute so he's suspended for the next round. Declan McManus is a hero, that's 5 goals in 3 games now hope he keeps that up! :D

I hope the refs next sh*te is a cactus.

Archived