Morton V Berwick Petrofac Round 2

• Replies 79
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Strange game. We were absolutely rank in the 2nd half and Berwick deservedly got back into it. Obviously we did go up a gear in extra time to finish them off but we should have dealt with them long before that.

EDIT: The first Berwick goal was an absolute topper, though McManus went one better with his shot to make it 3-2.

Difference between the teams was McManus who was sublime. He was at the heart of every dangerous move Morton put together. Cameron ran the show for Berwick against our powderpuff midfield and the match changed in our favour when he subbed himself.

Berwick were very unlucky not to win it in normal time but there was only one team in it in extra time. They were a far better team than Stranraer and on their showings against us, I would fancy them to be there or thereabouts in league 2 come the end of the season.

Berwick absolutely murdered Morton in the 2nd 45 and should have had it won. Took until the dodgy penalty award from a quite bizarre refereeing performance to level things up though.

Then Declan McManus decided he was taking the ball home with him and scored 3 sublime efforts. What a good player.

We played well in the first half, rancid defending for the goal aside, then completely disappeared in the second half and Berwick hammered us. They really should have won it in normal time. I thought we were somehow going to see it out but then Lamie decided to lunge in unnecessarily and it was a stonewall penalty. In extra time it was clear that Berwick had knackered themselves pushing for the equaliser and once he got us in front again McManus exploited that to kill it off. Hopefully he can regularly use his pace to do slow defenders the way he did in extra time tonight.

The referee was absolutely diabolical - how the f**k did he and his assistants contrive to miss the Berwick keeper catching the ball at least a yard outside the box? - but he was spot on with the penalty and McCluskey's second booking. The penalty was completely indisputable and as for McCluskey, his first booking was absolute nonsense but regardless, he was on a booking, the game was already won and there were only a few minutes of extra time left. It takes an impressive amount of stupidity to take such a ridiculous dive in those circumstances and he deserved everything he got there. He'd had a good game up to that point as well.

Fair play Morton,full time football and it showed in extra time.

But I have to say Berwick were just as good if not better throughout,too many shots hit cleanly. A good old sclaff under the keeper and we would have won it. We went for broke with three forwards and although we got level,we were tiring and a bit shapeless at the end.

Bit of a habit of losing goals at crucial times don't help us. Five minutes after our first,a minute before half-time and one at the end of first half injury time was like getting kicked where it hurts for pleasure.

Good marks for all though,hope we push on.

Berwick were unlucky not to win it in normal time. The only thing that stopped them was coming up against the best striker seen at Cappielow for a very long time - that plus Cameron coming off. The latter was the reason Morton were able to re-establish themselves in extra time more than fitness although none of the Berwick defenders could handle McManus. They only did so in the second half by cutting off the supply to him and that was mostly down to Cameron and how he organised the team.

Anyway, good luck in the league to Berwick. On their showings against us, I suspect they may be back in League 1 next season.

Berwick were unlucky not to win it in normal time. The only thing that stopped them was coming up against the best striker seen at Cappielow for a very long time - that plus Cameron coming off. The latter was the reason Morton were able to re-establish themselves in extra time more than fitness although none of the Berwick defenders could handle McManus. They only did so in the second half by cutting off the supply to him and that was mostly down to Cameron and how he organised the team.

Anyway, good luck in the league to Berwick. On their showings against us, I suspect they may be back in League 1 next season.

McManus was brilliant last night, but I think we have to be careful to remember the level we're playing at right now. He looks like he has a very bright future in the game but it seems a bit disrespectful to a player like Peter MacDonald, who really did the business at a higher level for us, to suggest that McManus is already the best we've seen at Cappielow in a long time. There are plenty of players who have ripped it up at this level only to really struggle when moving up to the level that we've been playing at for the past few years. There's great promise there, but I don't think we should be getting that carried away...yet.

McManus was brilliant last night, but I think we have to be careful to remember the level we're playing at right now. He looks like he has a very bright future in the game but it seems a bit disrespectful to a player like Peter MacDonald, who really did the business at a higher level for us, to suggest that McManus is already the best we've seen at Cappielow in a long time. There are plenty of players who have ripped it up at this level only to really struggle when moving up to the level that we've been playing at for the past few years. There's great promise there, but I don't think we should be getting that carried away...yet.

Its a long time since Peaso played for us! :P

Archived