Motherwell vs St Mirren - 09/08/14

• Replies 352
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Overall the result was harsh on Saints. Probably the better team and showed pace, skill and determination but no cutting edge. They deserved at least a point. Goodwin was stupid - he could have been off in the first half for a second bookable tackle on Keith Lasley, but got off with that. In the second 45 he elbowed John Sutton (spotted by the East Stand linesman) and paid the penalty. He was also fortunate not to receive a straight red for arguing with the ref. How McGinn wasn't booked for persistent fouling is totally beyond me - committed about 8 fouls. Still it wasn't a dirty game and its unfair to dwell on these 2 players. I thought Plummer was a stand out and MOTM by a country mile. Wylde also played well but his final ball was all too often out.

For us ZFA, Law, Kerr, Twardzik and Erwin were the pick of the bunch. Some of the others like Reid were clearly not fit. Good to see young Lee score on his debut. I don't expect either team to be near the bottom come the end of the season.

Thought St Mirren were probably the better team, however not to the extent that some would have you believe. The 3 points were in no way a Dick Turpin style robbery!

Firstly Motherwell. Thought Erwin and Law were out best players closely followed by Kerr. Really like the look for Erwin and hope he continues to develop. Kerr in his natural position had a decent match. His pace helps him out a bit. ZFA still doesn't fill me with confidence at left back. His decision making and distribution is very poor at times.

Onto St Mirren. Thought they played well for the majority of the match. Number 10 up top looks a handful. Also thought Wylde looked very lively and would have him in C&A in a second. Best player on the park was Plummer at centre half. Excellent. Not the tallest in the side but a footballer. Reckon St Mirren will have a decent season but might still miss out on the top 6 as goals will be an issue. The lad Ball up too has a decent touch but is miles overweight! Don't kid yourself by saying its muscle as it's clearly not! The guy is fat!

After having watched the Goodwin incident on BBC Alba, it wasn't even a foul, never mind a booking, for Goodwin's sending off.

Sutton wasn't even claiming anything.

An poor decision by the officials.

Thought St Mirren were probably the better team, however not to the extent that some would have you believe. The 3 points were in no way a Dick Turpin style robbery!

Firstly Motherwell. Thought Erwin and Law were out best players closely followed by Kerr. Really like the look for Erwin and hope he continues to develop. Kerr in his natural position had a decent match. His pace helps him out a bit. ZFA still doesn't fill me with confidence at left back. His decision making and distribution is very poor at times.

Onto St Mirren. Thought they played well for the majority of the match. Number 10 up top looks a handful. Also thought Wylde looked very lively and would have him in C&A in a second. Best player on the park was Plummer at centre half. Excellent. Not the tallest in the side but a footballer. Reckon St Mirren will have a decent season but might still miss out on the top 6 as goals will be an issue. The lad Ball up too has a decent touch but is miles overweight! Don't kid yourself by saying its muscle as it's clearly not! The guy is fat!

Yeah, agreed. We weren't quite as good or Motherwell quite as bad as some are making out. It was always going to be narrow either way and Motherwell stuck the ball in the net, we didn't.

The scoring goals thing is only really going to be an issue if every game is like that. I'm hoping yesterday was just one of those days. We scored quite a lot of goals in pre-season so we have it in us, though that was against much lesser opposition.

Plummer, Tesselar and Marwood looked good players yesterday. We looked weak on the right hand side though which is where most of Motherwell's attacks came from. Naismith looked a bit off the pace, and maybe could have done with a hand. Wylde was very frustrating. Beating his fullback for fun throughout the game, but his delivery was awful.

Thought Motherwell's counter attack always looked dangerous though. They always got forward in numbers and the big guy who scored looks a decent player. Where did he come from?

Also, I didn't see any handball for a penalty at the end really, I just shouted like f**k for it because it worked the last time! I take it there was nothing in it?

It definitely hit his hand. Wasn't a stonewaller, but I've certainly seen them given.

Just never got the breaks yesterday, but keep playing like we did and we will have a good season.

St Mirren were decent, but to be fair St Mirren seem to always play decent against us - show that more often and they could battle for 6th/7th. We at times were not great, but there were signs of what we were used to seeing at times.

Thought Erwin was excellent, showed some clear maturity and some lovely touches. Kerr, although dragged around few times, was where he had to be a lot in the first half, blocked crosses meeting their man etc. Thought Twardzik did well with his shot stopping but could have been more commanding, there were a few moments where the ball hung in the air which should have been his all day long. His very good save at the end was a good example of him getting us into trouble, ball cleared by McManus (?) should have seen a call from the keeper as it was his all day, but instead the header just fell to a St Mirren player. Law looks a decent acquisition too

Reid played well, despite you could see short of fitness, and having no protection - saying that the whole defence didn't have any protection in front of them, our midfield, going forward and back were to slow and stationary at times, but that's a meh for now as a win is a win.

Also, the Spanish Motherwell Supporters Club.....

That was the greatest half time I've ever seen "since I was young!" :lol:

I've only just stopped cringing at that.

You'd also be the first club to finish in the top six with zero points. Quite an achievement.

That statement makes absolutely no sense. I feel very sorry for you.

St Mirren were decent, but to be fair St Mirren seem to always play decent against us - show that more often and they could battle for 6th/7th. We at times were not great, but there were signs of what we were used to seeing at times.

Thought Erwin was excellent, showed some clear maturity and some lovely touches. Kerr, although dragged around few times, was where he had to be a lot in the first half, blocked crosses meeting their man etc. Thought Twardzik did well with his shot stopping but could have been more commanding, there were a few moments where the ball hung in the air which should have been his all day long. His very good save at the end was a good example of him getting us into trouble, ball cleared by McManus (?) should have seen a call from the keeper as it was his all day, but instead the header just fell to a St Mirren player. Law looks a decent acquisition too

Reid played well, despite you could see short of fitness, and having no protection - saying that the whole defence didn't have any protection in front of them, our midfield, going forward and back were to slow and stationary at times, but that's a meh for now as a win is a win.

In the first half especially I thought our midfield was very flat and square which gave me the fear. Players like McLean and McGinn were finding it very easy to get in space between them and the defence and turn. Think Carswell and Lasley really need to learn to play together.

Wylde has all the pace in the world but not one of his crosses/passes went anywhere near a St Mirren player. A lot of his crosses went to about 20 yards of from goal in the second half.

Plummer did look good on the ball.

Twardzik had a good game but he still looks awful under cross balls. Someone is trying to tell me he is 6ft. I doubt that. Maybe the fact he is built like the side of a fiver makes him look wee. Had a good game though.

ZFA was decent, still think his positional play isn't good enough to be playing left back.

Fra Kerr had a great game I thought. A centre half at centre half. I feel for him when he gets thrown on at right wing but he does terribly bad there and folk get on at him. I thought he was solid today.

Ainsworth was awful.

Lee Erwin scored, looks the part as well, always wanting the ball and not afraid to dribble a bit too.

Good to have the fitba back!

yeah no offence, but why the paramilitary pic?

Cos I love the IRA

Wylde has all the pace in the world but not one of his crosses/passes went anywhere near a St Mirren player. A lot of his crosses went to about 20 yards of from goal in the second half.

Plummer did look good on the ball.

Can't argue with your observations about Wylde.

The thing is that he has games, where his crosses are actually decent, but yesterday I can't really remember even one that carved out a clear cut chance for us.

Plummer looks a great find. Strong in the air for a player his size and strong on the ball too. I think I remember one of your players bouncing off him during one challenge.

Very composed on the ball and likes to make runs, which are usually followed by a very good pass.

Thought Erwin took his goal well, as he reacted quickly and managed to control his finish. Slightly disappointed that Kello didn't push the ball to the side, but Ainsworth was given too much room to shoot and it was a thunderous effort.

Agree entirely with you on Kerr busta. Surely his appearances in his actual position can be counted without taking your shoes off. Looked terrified at right back, hopeless at right mid, but grew into the game at centre half. With his pace he could be an asset if he gets a run of games.

After having watched the Goodwin incident on BBC Alba, it wasn't even a foul, never mind a booking, for Goodwin's sending off.

Sutton wasn't even claiming anything.

An poor decision by the officials.

Goals on Sunday had a far better angle where you saw the incident close up and Goodwin definitely leads with the elbow and catches Sutton on the back of the head.

Contact was minimal and you could debate whether or not it was deliberate but I can see why he walked.

Goals on Sunday had a far better angle where you saw the incident close up and Goodwin definitely leads with the elbow and catches Sutton on the back of the head.

Contact was minimal and you could debate whether or not it was deliberate but I can see why he walked.

Yeah.

So I've since heard.

Might have been a "soft" booking, but still stupid to lead with your elbow when you've got the reputation that Goodwin has.

Archived