Motherwell vs St Mirren - 09/08/14

St Mirren were the best team today in terms of possession and quality - but you simply can't have that much of the ball and make so many decent openings without scoring - especially against a team who can't keep a clean sheet to save themselves. The one where Wylde burst through and tried to score himself instead of setting up a tap in was the worst example.

Goodwin's 2nd bookign was for a fucking daft elbow to the back of Sutton's napper when there was just no need - a total liability when your team's still well in the game.

I thought we were mostly awful - reminiscent of the first 2 months of last season where we ground out wins at Fir Park without looking fluent or dangerous. Given that Lasley had a mild horror show, Carswell was poor and Ainsworth utterly anonymous - we were always going to struggle to control the game - and we didn't. The positives for me were a really sharp performance from Twardzik, unexpectedly solid displays by Kerr and Angol at the back and a decent performance from Erwin (who looks to have real potential).

The win will hopefully stop a lot of the OTT doom and gloom that's been about the place since the euro games - but on today's evidence we are still a long way short of where we need to be....

• Replies 352
  • Created
  • Last Reply

First things first, this post is hard to type. Can barely see the screen after my eyes were raped looking at that St Mirren strip. Seriously, what's it all about?! Horrendous.

Anyway, thought the draw would have been the correct result based on play but not going to complain. St. Mirren were knocking the ball about well, it's rare that I actually enjoy watching a game between the 2 sides, just a pity the lads up front were rank. We took a good 10-15 minutes to get going but did eventually grow into the game.

As much as 'Well fans may complain about Hammell have a look at what we had in his place today and re-evaluate!

Ainsworth... what a half-arsed first 60 minutes. No commitment, bravery or work ethic. A coincidence that when he finally got his arse into gear we went up and took the lead? Good finish from Erwin as well, has to be said - definitely a big season ahead for him.

Goodwin.. :lol: what an utter fud. Could easily have gone in the first half after a shocker on Lasley over on the Main Stand side. Total liability.

Forgot to mention that in my post. Christ, he had an absolutely stinker. His touch was all over the place.

Goodwin's 2nd bookign was for a fucking daft elbow to the back of Sutton's napper when there was just no need - a total liability when your team's still well in the game.

What planet are you on? Sutton clearly backed his head into Goodwin's elbow - disgraceful stuff, getting an honest pro like Jim sent off!

You were beaten by a bunch of kids and you had one first pick missing, Aberdeen or United would have destroyed you.

Long season ahead for the Maureens.

In all honesty I know nothing of Aberdeen this season as I have not yet seen you play. However I do read the hype in the press. Then again your manager is from Paisley and a die hard blue nose which is quite funny given how much you hate anything to do with them.

Will judge Aberdeen when we play you. At the moment Motherwell are the second best team in the country not Aberdeen or Dundee United and expect Motherwell to be around the same position come the end of the season. You probably don't believe that. They don't have to push for press sales in Motherwell compared north east its hard to find a football story that wont offend you lot hence the made up hype you keep falling for season after season.

Plummer looks really good.

Agreed. Him and Tess had great games at the back.

We were unlucky today, that's football. Regardless, I feel better about our season now than I did at 2pm.

Agreed. Him and Tess had great games at the back.

We were unlucky today, that's football. Regardless, I feel better about our season now than I did at 2pm.

Was Plummer the No5? I thought he was one of the best players on the park today (I couldn't read the name on his shirt as I can never see these Magic Eye things :) )

Was Plummer the No5? I thought he was one of the best players on the park today (I couldn't read the name on his shirt as I can never see these Magic Eye things :) )

Yep.

From what I've seen of him, he's an improvement on Darren McGregor.

I missed the game but the Clyde 1 guys were going on about how much Plummer has helped our craptacular defence. How true is this?

Very! The boy is a class act. Composed, confident, fast and strong as an Ox.

Plumber is a better version of the Darren McGregor before his injuries.

Wylde should have scored that one where he was clean through, especially as squaring it gave Marwood a tap in. Marwood looked another good find.

Still concerned about goals without Thommo, today showed that in spades, Ball didn't look very good, although Caldwell looked promising, but he came on too late.

Goodwin is a fucking liability even I know this as an Arbroath fan who hasn't watched the guy in the flesh once, get him to f**k St Mirren FFS.

Sometimes better not to comment on guys you've never seen play football then, no?

Very! The boy is a class act. Composed, confident, fast and strong as an Ox.

Yep agree with this - looks a real classy player. Not the tallest but seems to read the game really well. Always seems to have time on the ball which is usually the sign of a quality player.

Three points and even a clean sheet. That'll do.

No doubt St.Mirren will feel aggrieved at leaving Fir Park with nothing but they only have themselves to blame really. Squandered several good opportunities and promising situations with Wylde being the main culprit. They certainly had more of the ball and the greater share of the chances but if you don't stick the ball in the net that counts for f**k all.

Several players for us didn't look fit, Reid in particular struggled. Ainsworth as others said was gash for 60 mins but then one thumping effort from him helped set up the goal and he then came onto a bit of a game. Which kind of sums him up, can do nothing for large spells then pops up with something to help you win the game. Lasley was horrific again and gave the ball away at every opportunity. After a shaky start I actually thought Kerr looked decent enough alongside McManus. Also I can't believe another 'Well fans post about Hammell's absence meaning we were stuck with ZFA, despite being a critic of his at times Zaine had a very good game for us today IMHO. Law flitted in and out but looks to be a decent addition overall. Twardzik bounced back from a poor European blunder to put in a very good performance with some smart saves. Still a bit shaky with high balls on top of him though.

Erwin was undoubtedly the star of the show for 'Well though. Good touch, bit of skill about him, height, strength, pace and he had one chance all game and he took it. Everything good we did first half came through him, impressed with his confidence to try and get on the ball, link up play and make things happen. To be honest I thought he'd fallen out the game a bit and would soon be subbed when he popped up with the winner! Important not to get carried away at this stage but it was a very promising full debut for the lad. Let's hope he can put his horrendous injuries behind him and kick on from here.

For Saints the boy Plummer looked a class act at the back . Not the tallest but was quick, strong, read the game well and was comfortable with the ball at this feet. Marwood showed glimpses of there maybe being a player there. The big guy Ball was fucking guff and a few stone overweight. Wylde caused plenty of problems with his pace but his end product is horrific, reminded me of a young Chris Humphrey when he first joined Motherwell. Goodwin :lol:. Plenty of nice play for Saints overall and created a fair number of chances, if they'd had Thompson instead of that balloon Ball they may very well have gotten what they deserved. Based on today my only worry for them would be what happens if Thompson get's a long term injury, otherwise I thought they looked pretty decent.

Good to be back and doing what we do best though, not playing that well and grinding out the points!

Standard Motherwell win it seems, and I don't mean that as an insult. Congratulations, grinding out wins is something we've never really been good at unless it's the arse end of the season. Best of luck for the rest of the season, would like it if you guys managed to get second again.

Sounds like a promising performance from us though if we can just get Thommo back and firing. If Jim's red was for dissent that's unforgivable from a member of the management team.

Standard Motherwell win it seems, and I don't mean that as an insult. Congratulations, grinding out wins is something we've never really been good at unless it's the arse end of the season. Best of luck for the rest of the season, would like it if you guys managed to get second again.

Sounds like a promising performance from us though if we can just get Thommo back and firing. If Jim's red was for dissent that's unforgivable from a member of the management team.

Is this "dissent" chat based on what Billy Dodds said on Radio Scotland? It was quite clear cut when you were in the east stand - Goodwin went in with the elbow on the ref's blind side - the linesman told him on the radio and off he went - there was no dissent that I could see - and the only question is whether Goodwin's offence really merited a booking...

Is this "dissent" chat based on what Billy Dodds said on Radio Scotland? It was quite clear cut when you were in the east stand - Goodwin went in with the elbow on the ref's blind side - the linesman told him on the radio and off he went - there was no dissent that I could see - and the only question is whether Goodwin's offence really merited a booking...

Yeah it was, cheers mate, not like Dodds to get something totally wrong.

Sounds just as bad tbh.

Billy Dodds knows f**k all, hopeless DAB w****r.

From where we were in the main stand, it certainly looked like an elbow/forearm into the back of Sutton's head.

Wylde terrified our defence, and as others said, Plummer looks a find.

ZFA was really good today, I thought. Sutton appears to have lost even more pace, Erwin looks like a really good option for us too.

Additionally: How on earth did St Mirren get away with those strips, the numbers/names on the back are nigh on unreadable, aside from it just being generally shite.

I was listening to Sportsound. Dodds was messing about the whole afternoon, even texting some guy during the game. He must have completely missed it and made the dissent thing up. Walloper.

Archived