FAO committed yes voters

Mr Bairn

• Replies 92
  • Created
  • Last Reply

They're not. But it would be part of a huge negotiation - with give and take on both sides. One side might come out slightly better or slightly worse but in the long run its not a massive issue. There'll be a fairly balanced outcome.

What incentive would WM have to "give or take" though? They don't want independence.

What incentive would WM have to "give or take" though? They don't want independence.

It doesn't matter what they want - they've agreed to stand by the referendum result, based on the will of the people in Scotland. There would be closed door negotiations (like there was when the union was created) and these would last quite a few months.

It doesn't matter what they want - they've agreed to stand by the referendum result, based on the will of the people in Scotland. There would be closed door negotiations (like there was when the union was created) and these would last quite a few months.

They've agreed to allow independence, yes. What they can do is play hardball in the smoke-filled room forcing Alex Salmond and co to either accept a very unfavourable deal, or walk away and have to come home and explain why independence is cancelled.

Exactly what incentive would David Cameron and co have to negotiate a settlement that is favourable to Scotland?

It will be one of many things that are negotiated.

I tend to agree with you though. The 3 main Westminster parties have went out on a limb with the 'no currency union' line that they would find it pretty much impossible (electorally) to go back on that, even if that was the sensible thing to do for all concerned...which it quite clearly is.

Most non-Scottish National Party supporting Yes voters accept a currency union will not happen, or is at least very, very unlikely.

I actually agree with you that, even it was in both the UK and Scotlands best interests, it couldn't be done now as it has no support from the main political parties. For any of them to go back on their word would not be a good thing. A currency union is practically guaranteed not to happen now.

That said, a currency union would definitely not be best for the UK. Why give up full control of your currency just to prevent a slight increase in costs for 10% of the United Kingdoms trade? The risks would far outweigh the need to save what is effectively a small amount of cash. It just doesn't make sense.

FAO Mr Bairn.

Stop trolling, people have answered your question on this thread over and over and yet you continue to ignore them and then repeat the same question in a different context.

He's just H_B or AdLib on a slow day, nobody attending uni can be as thick as that.

They've agreed to allow independence, yes. What they can do is play hardball in the smoke-filled room forcing Alex Salmond and co to either accept a very unfavourable deal, or walk away and have to come home and explain why independence is cancelled.

Exactly what incentive would David Cameron and co have to negotiate a settlement that is favourable to Scotland?

Their standing in the international community for one thing. Trident for another.

There will be other factors in Scotland's favour (more informed folk will chip in with them I'm sure) but I think most folk would accept that the UK government would have a bit more weight behind them going into these negotiations. Like I say, there'd be give and take on both sides.

He's just H_B or AdLib on a slow day, nobody attending uni can be as thick as that.

The 3 of them are like some dual personality freakshow type bloke.

H_B is the NO voting personality, Ad_Lib is the pretend to be YES voter personality and Mr Bairn is the child version personality who is just genuinely confused.

Mr Bairn will mould into 1 of the 2 when he gets past puberty.

ETA: have the 3 of them ever been online at the same time? Hmmmmmm....

FAO Mr Bairn.

Stop trolling, people have answered your question on this thread over and over and yet you continue to ignore them and then repeat the same question in a different context.

While he's being reasonable (as I think he is in this thread) I really don't mind Mr Bairn. When he becomes ridiculous (whether intentional or not) then I just tune out.

While he's being reasonable (as I think he is in this thread) I really don't mind Mr Bairn. When he becomes ridiculous (whether intentional or not) then I just tune out.

That was the same as me a few weeks ago, few weeks later I've been called all sorts by him after replying to his nonsense trolling. No time for him anymore..

Hi folks, hope you're all well :)

I have a bit of a question for you this morning. Why is it that you all seem to think that after a No vote, Westminster is going to come down hard on Scotland, yet after a yes vote they'll all be best pals with us and help us out in a lot of areas?

It's a genuine non-trolling question and I appreciate you may have an answer, not a rhetorical question by any means, but it kinda sees to be like we'd be relying on a lot of goodwill by the rUK government to help us find our feet after independence and you all seem to think that will definitely happen, yet if we vote No they're all going to turn in to some big anti-Scotland monsters and f**k over Scotland for the next generation.

For people like me, it basically comes down to the fact that I've been at the receiving end when Scotland declines to take powers from Westminster. Yeah, the poll tax was 25 years ago but it's actually difficult to express just how much contempt I have for the UK government to this day. And it's not even about the tax itself, even though it was a clusterfuck of an idea. The thing that really winds me up is the fact that Scotland was ground zero.

Granted, the political climate is very different than it was back then, but still, that Westminster attitude is very much alive and kicking. Thing is, nobody is ever held accountable because we have a class-based society and no written constitution.

In the event of a Yes vote we should damn well expect goodwill from England just as they should expect goodwill from us. This isn't about screwing each other over.

Their standing in the international community for one thing. Trident for another.

There will be other factors in Scotland's favour (more informed folk will chip in with them I'm sure) but I think most folk would accept that the UK government would have a bit more weight behind them going into these negotiations. Like I say, there'd be give and take on both sides.

Who's in the international community is going to criticise them though? Half of the world's superpowers are threatened by separatist breakaways and a lot of them are far less accepting of self-determination than the UK are.

Trident is one that I can accept, but I thought the Scottish government wasn't willing to compromise on Trident under any circumstances? Seems to me like the choices of the UK government are either to move it (probably have to downscale as well) or scrap it altogether.

The 3 of them are like some dual personality freakshow type bloke.

H_B is the NO voting personality, Ad_Lib is the pretend to be YES voter personality and Mr Bairn is the child version personality who is just genuinely confused.

Mr Bairn will mould into 1 of the 2 when he gets past puberty.

ETA: have the 3 of them ever been online at the same time? Hmmmmmm....

Yes. Literally hundreds of time.

How is he being reasonable, a nice question here and an accusation of racism on another thread doesn't cut it with me I'm afraid, a troll hiding behind anonymity doesn't really inspire me to reply in a decent manner.

I think you're I'm Rodger. I've thought this for a few days now.

I call shenanigans.

I think you're I'm Rodger. I've thought this for a few days now.

I call shenanigans.

If I was Im_rodger then surely I'd mix it up a bit rather than post from the Bairn account 95% of the time, just saying.

If I was Im_rodger then surely I'd mix it up a bit rather than post from the Bairn account 95% of the time, just saying.

Your train of thought further confirms my suspicions.

Archived