Does anyone here believe we can't use the pound?

gazelle

• Replies 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

So you agree a CU is fully feasible and there is no sound reason for it not happening then?

Its not going to.

Looks like you'll actually need to argue for independence instead. Unlucky

All to play for. <_<

So you agree a CU is fully feasible and there is no sound reason for it not happening then?

My view is that we will continue under the present monetary system in the event of a Yes vote until the new SG, UK Gov and The BOE agree that the conditions are right and the proper mechanisms are in place to facilitate a new single currency for Scotland. I don't believe the risks or indeed the opportunities this may bring are fully understood by the protagonists on either side of the debate at present however. Including the experts on P@B!

My view is that we will continue under the present monetary system in the event of a Yes vote until the new SG, UK Gov and The BOE agree that the conditions are right and the proper mechanisms are in place to facilitate a new single currency for Scotland. I don't believe the risks or indeed the opportunities this may bring are fully understood by the protagonists on either side of the debate at present however. Including the experts on P@B!

Let's see if I've got you right here.

This is the very reason we have been told that a CU won't happen. Because a few years down the line Scotland ( who are too wee and too poor remember ) would walk away and start their own currency. That, we were told would leave huge uncertainty for the RUK.

I think your right though, because this is what is desirable. It's what I would like.

Let's see if I've got you right here.

This is the very reason we have been told that a CU won't happen. Because a few years down the line Scotland ( who are too wee and too poor remember ) would walk away and start their own currency. That, we were told would leave huge uncertainty for the RUK.

I think your right though, because this is what is desirable. It's what I would like.

Nothing to do with being 'too poor or too wee' It's the conditions being right for a Scottish currency and robust independent financial strategy/policy being in place to take full responsibility of the management, influence and negotiation of borrowing /lending terms, exchange rates, interest rates, foreign investment levels etc.

If we can’t achieve this, we don’t have independence?

Even by 2016 I don't we'll be anywhere near this position, that's without consideration to anything else that could happen in the meantime with regards to uncertain private and commercial investors.

Nothing to do with being 'too poor or too wee' It's the conditions being right for a Scottish currency and robust independent financial strategy/policy being in place to take full responsibility of the management, influence and negotiation of borrowing /lending terms, exchange rates, interest rates, foreign investment levels etc.

If we can’t achieve this, we don’t have independence?

Even by 2016 I don't we'll be anywhere near this position, that's without consideration to anything else that could happen in the meantime with regards to uncertain private and commercial investors.

So, will a no-vote deliver more independence or less?

And, if the UK can only use her nuclear weapons on Washington's say-so, then how independent is the UK?

So, will a no-vote deliver more independence or less?

And, if the UK can only use her nuclear weapons on Washington's say-so, then how independent is the UK?

Not sure what you're point is here mate, are you saying that the UK and presumably her Western Allies (NATO) don't have true independence, because they need US authorisation to use there defence capabilities?

I though we were talking about a Scottish Currency, that yes will deliver further independence but an option (+/-) that comes with the associated risks.

I don't buy into the theory that the UK Gov will aim to shaft us in the event of a Yes vote, it's in their interests to ensure as smooth a transition as possible, but at what cost to both of us?

Not sure what you're point is here mate, are you saying that the UK and presumably her Western Allies (NATO) don't have true independence, because they need US authorisation to use there defence capabilities?

I though we were talking about a Scottish Currency, that yes will deliver further independence but an option (+/-) that comes with the associated risks.

I don't buy into the theory that the UK Gov will aim to shaft us in the event of a Yes vote, it's in their interests to ensure as smooth a transition as possible, but at what cost to both of us?

It's very refreshing to see a NO voter start to get their head around this rather than brick wall it.

Common sense breaking out?

Hope you don't get ostracised by your fellow NOs.

After a YES vote, the SGs position will be for a full currency union (at least from the outset in May 2016). From then we get our proportion of the reserves of BOE and start up a new Scottish Central Bank. the Scottish £ is pegged to the RUK £.

After a period of time (negotiating position: time - how long to move all the nuclear weapons out of Scotland? Five years , OK, five years it is) the Scottish Central Bank is fully operational and then is free to float against all other currencies, including RUK £.

In the meantime the BOE contingency plan from Sept 2014 to Independence day in May 2016 + five years keeps everything tickety-boo.

After a YES vote, the SGs position will be for a full currency union (at least from the outset in May 2016). From then we get our proportion of the reserves of BOE and start up a new Scottish Central Bank. the Scottish £ is pegged to the RUK £.

After a period of time (negotiating position: time - how long to move all the nuclear weapons out of Scotland? Five years , OK, five years it is) the Scottish Central Bank is fully operational and then is free to float against all other currencies, including RUK £.

In the meantime the BOE contingency plan from Sept 2014 to Independence day in May 2016 + five years keeps everything tickety-boo.

But what's your plan B?

Archived