Greenock Morton v Partick Thistle

Hammer Jag

Not our best performance but thought it was fairly comfortable despite Balatoni and Muirhead being dreadful. Great goal from Doolan who had a good game. Lawless was decent too. Everyone else was meh.

It was never a penalty btw. Clear dive. The lack of complaints from surrounding Morton players showed what they thought. The cry from the Cowshed everytime Osman bossed someone off the ball was pretty funny.

• Replies 117
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Can't believe people are complaining about long balls v a team 2 leagues above. Needs must, no? We saw what happened last year when players who aren't good enough are told to play from the back.

Thought we had the better of the first half after some early pressure. Goal just before half time killed us.

Mcmanus is quality. Can see him playing at a higher level come January.

Partick don't look up to much

Far more even game than expected but still, there's no hard luck story in losing. We've only ourselves to blame: you can't miss sitters like the two McCluskey had against any side and expect to win, never mind a side two divisions above you. Partick should really have done more to hurt us considering how much space they often found between our midfield and defence due to the former being completely shapeless, but they were as wasteful with possession as we were with finishing.

The game passed the midfield by as usual, with the ball continually sailing over their heads. McManus did well with what little service he got, McCluskey did well to get into good positions several times but was rancid when he had the ball.

Abdul Osman is the epitome of a footballer who's absolutely useless with the ball at his feet but great at kicking people. Booked after 35 minutes for his fifth foul :lol:

Thought we were pretty shite but we've won and that's what matters. Higgys miss was ridiculously bad, as was the morton boys when balatoni decided to hand him a glorious chance. Looked a penalty from where I was standing but oh well. Seaborne needs to get fit as soon as possible, that centre half pairing is a joke. Keenan is very mixed, he does some very good things and then follows it up with something awful. Onto round 3 anyway.

A dreadful game between two dreadful teams. Time to point and laugh at the laughing stock of Inverclyde - the soapdodgers from Greenock and the Port who chose to shun their local side to watch Celtic. :lol::thumsup2

A brutal game in which we played shite and won.

Much more entertainment to be had at Cartsdyke after the game with the abuse over the platforms between the wee guys and then pulling into Glasgow Central and getting to point and laugh at the hundreds of Celtic fans getting the train back to Greenock and Port Glasgow with their faces tripping them. :lol:

A brutal game in which we played shite and won.

Much more entertainment to be had at Cartsdyke after the game with the abuse over the platforms between the wee guys and then pulling into Glasgow Central and getting to point and laugh at the hundreds of Celtic fans getting the train back to Greenock and Port Glasgow with their faces tripping them. :lol:

Genuinely gutted I got a lift back now.

Second half was a bit more comfortable

I felt that Partick were far better in the first half and should have been out of sight. We probably dragged them down to our level in the second half but I suppose we weren't a frequent threat to equalise once the goal was scored. Osbourne gave away enough fouls to have possibly been sent off - for no reason, given we were hardly posing any threat from midfield - but did well to calm down in the second half.

The major disappointment of the evening wasn't the result, which was predictable, rather how utterly useless we looked on the evening. We clearly have nine average, trying-very-hard League One plodders offering useless kick and rush football, with a sole stand-out player in McManus up front. The major problem looming is that as the plodders realise that they're fucking woeful, they're starting to hit towards McManus any old dross and expecting him to make a goal out of it. We desperately need to strengthen the centre of midfield and Duffy is predictably clueless to this issue.

Stefan McCluskey is a Stephen Stirling-esque diddy with a different moniker and shouldn't darken the door of the first team. Nor should dross like David McNeil who were given six month deals on account of hanging around the club during mid-July.

Pish game. Lawless looked really up for it in the first half, but other than him and Doolan, the majority of the team didn't seem up for it. Our defence is a bombscare and we really need to sign 2 more players before the end of the window; it's alarming how much of a disaster Balatoni and Muirhead look these days, considering how good they used to be as a partnership. Osman gave away a few niggly fouls, but at the same time he won the ball fairly numerous times as well by virtue of just being bigger and stronger, and it was hilarious to see the Cowshed raging every time he got near the ball. Morton offered pretty much no threat, other than from the endless free kicks we were giving away in decent positions, and when Balatoni tried really hard to give away a goal by holding onto the ball until he was dispossessed and fell over.

Highlight of the night was some of the faces Celtic fans pulled back at Central when asked the score. Fucking roon yeez.

McManus looked a talent when you got the ball into his feet, which thankfully was very rarely. I thought Pepper had good spells too.

We were okay, it was a pretty even game I felt. Lawless and Doolan were our best players, and that's the first proper look I've had at Keenan - not too bad but not ready to be our starting left-back. Need to get Seaborne back fit for Saturday, maybe even take Balatoni out of the team for him as I felt less convinced by him tonight.

Great turn and finish by Doolan. He needs to start - Stevenson can go on the bench for me, not shown enough yet, but would be a handy player to come on late.

Thought we competed well which was pleasing. Losing the goal right on half time was a sucker punch and knocked the wind out of our sails.

We had chances. You can't expect to beat a team 2 leagues above you if you squander the chances that come your way, and the chances we had were excellent and really should have been taken. McCluskey really should have taken one of them. I like his effort levels and determination, epitomised by getting the 1 on 1 chance after pressuring the defender, but jury's still out on his overall ability.

Thought Hands did well for his first start of the season. Needs to make more of set pieces though. As for the big punts - need to cut that out. Too wasteful, like down at Ayr. We've been at our best so far this season when we try to play a bit, not hoof it to nowhere.

Disappointed with the loss when we competed so well, but didn't expect anything from the match beforehand. Glad it was a close game which won't dent the confidence too much. Need to get back to winning ways on Saturday at Forfar

Never a penalty. Terrific effort from the Morton fans to boo every Osman touch, probably the highlight of the night apart from a well taken goal by Doolan. Not concerned with how we performed last night, none of the bigger teams won away from home by anything more than the odd goal.

An all too familiar script last night - reminded me of almost every cup defeat under McGraw. Plucky, yet ineffective display against higher league (but underwhelming) opposition - and losing by one goal.

We closed down everywhere except where it mattered - midfield. When we lost the goal the team seemed to be already thinking about walking off for the break. Wasted two great chances and some desperate defending saw Thistle waste an even better one. The referee was poor - don't know how that big black guy saw out the whole 90, and amazed his manager didn't hook him at HT.

Well done Thistle, best of luck in the next round.

On we go to Forfar.

Ricki Lami please go now piss poor excuse for a footballer.Thought we competed well last night.We missed two great chances,especially the second one.Really disappointed in Thistle,I thought we would have been in for a far tougher game.Onward to Forfar.

Archived