Sportscene watch 2015/16

• Replies 6.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

IMO the product is shite so we might have to agree to disagree. Fair play to you for gaining whatever enjoyment you get from whatever games you go to but I have higher standards now. 

As above....Not many enjoyable games with my saints season ticket for the last few seasons but I still go to most games through habit. Really hope Ayr gain promotion and Kilmarnock are relegated for an interesting championship next season.........and walking distance to Somerset.

while I agree that an Ayrshire derby would be nice, you lost any respect by your last bit.

A*r gaining two promotions over the next few years would be more palatable, although highly unlikely.

IMO the product is shite so we might have to agree to disagree. Fair play to you for gaining whatever enjoyment you get from whatever games you go to but I have higher standards now.

Fans of every Scottish club are enjoying days out following their team, home and away. If it was shite, we wouldn't go. If it was sub standard, we wouldn't go. We could all watch English football on the TV if that was a better way to spend a Saturday.

We don't have lower standards than you. We follow Scottish Football because it's ours, and it's fucking brilliant.

SPFL TV

- Exclusive Live Matches from all four tiers of the SPFL

- Exclusive coverage of the play-offs

- Live Coverage of Scottish Cup, League Cup and Challenge Cup

- Live rights of Scottish teams in the Europa League

- Live coverage of Scotland friendlies and highlights of competitive games

£10.99 per month (standard price)

£7.99/month for Season Tickets holders at a SPFL club.

I'd certainly subscribe to it. It would be great being able to watch the European games. I know it's only qualifiers but I've already went out my way to find streams for Aberdeen, St Johnstone and Motherwell games in the past.

I'm on the train now. Had to get up at 05.00. Have to get another train from Central down to Stranraer. Have to get a Megabus at 23.00 from Glasgow back to Dundee.

All for League 1 football. But I'd rather this than sitting watching some English game. I do catch MOTD where I can but don't care about the results. Haven't watched a Champions League game since the final in 2014. It just bores me

If you asked Scottish viewership whether they wanted Match of the Day, or a better-resourced Sportscene paying more money to SPFL - I wonder if you'd actually get the answer you want... I appreciate it's not an either/or, but it's not as simple as the scenario you're painting, either.

MotD is shown UK-wide and is popular, whereas Sportscene is Scotland-specific (I suppose you could show it in graveyard slot down south) and - IIRC - isn't even as popular up here as MotD is?

Northern Irish football is poorly resourced compared to us - couple of live finals, highlights by 2 blokes in a cupboard, presumably paying merely thousands of Â£ to NIFL - so where do you stop.

It's not as simple as just deriving population proportions from MotD's rights values.

I agree with much of what you say but a few more million a year going into the Scottish game might improve it enough that even t'English might be interested in watching it.

As above....Not many enjoyable games with my saints season ticket for the last few seasons but I still go to most games through habit. Really hope Ayr gain promotion and Kilmarnock are relegated for an interesting championship next season.........and walking distance to Somerset.

That better standards line though.

The EPL is fucking awful.

Rarely watch a game and come away feeling entertained.

Agreed. MOTD makes it look good but I've been to a good few and never seen a good game yet. Technically much better than ours mind, but entertainment/£ very low. But then maybe I've got lower standards than that Jimmy Boo fella.

Seems I'm not the only one turned off by the champions league. Just don't watch it or care about it.

I only watch the champions league if an English team is involved and purely so I can hear the commentaries bewilderment when they get pumped.

Seems I'm not the only one turned off by the champions league. Just don't watch it or care about it.

I have a half arsed interest. I play football Tuesday and Wednesday and miss most of the games and never really make any effort to watch the highlights.

I like doing what Deefiant does though, look forward to some of that in the City Madrid game.

This might sound like an #AMF type post but there's far too much money in they leagues now that I struggle to find myself giving a f**k. Arse torn right out of it for me in regards to caring about any of the teams clubs or players, although the money aspect has made it more competitive which makes the competition more interesting.

I think they should just forget about the BBC for TV highlights (unless they make a fantastic offer), though accept whatever they offer for the radio coverage.

They should then start an online SPFL TV showing highlights and a few live championship games, plus as-live games and archive material. It could start off free and then as they add content they can start charging and gradually build up a customer base. It might be possible to add stuff like Scottish rugby and turn it into a Scottish sport channel. At the very least it would help to pressure BT and Sky into offering a wee bit more at the next contract renewal time.

I think they should just forget about the BBC for TV highlights (unless they make a fantastic offer), though accept whatever they offer for the radio coverage.

They should then start an online SPFL TV showing highlights and a few live championship games, plus as-live games and archive material. It could start off free and then as they add content they can start charging and gradually build up a customer base. It might be possible to add stuff like Scottish rugby and turn it into a Scottish sport channel. At the very least it would help to pressure BT and Sky into offering a wee bit more at the next contract renewal time.

Sky and BT will not feel threatened by a service exclusively on YouTube.

Aye Stuff like the Pro12 and the Melrose Sevens...

Edit: Coming back to a TV Station idea -

But I do wonder how you can achieve over £20m p/a

Let's be conservative and say 100,000 people subscribed at an average of £9p/m

That would only achieve £10.8 million each season, quite a lot lower than the current TV Deal, and I know there's other revenue sources but you can't imagine they could accumulate another £10 million each season. And that doesn't include costs such as buying rights from the SFA and UEFA.

For it to be economically viable to the SPFL you'll need over 180,000 monthly subscribers (at £9/month). I don't know how much money ad revenue or pub subscriptions bring in, but I can't imagine that it'll be much.

Archived