Sportscene watch 2015/16

• Replies 6.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I agree with much of what you say but a few more million a year going into the Scottish game might improve it enough that even t'English might be interested in watching it.

Except it wouldn't.

Even if they got the top end of Topping's supposed demands, that's an extra £2.6M per annum.

Even if that went exclusively to Premiership and was equally divided - which it wouldn't - that's £211k per club.

Even invested exclusively in salaries that gets you, what - 1 or 2 English Championship players? It's £4k a week.

From the BBC's point of view, any increase in fee isn't going to be about enhancing the product to generate UK-wide viewing.

That's just plain reality, surely.

Sky and BT will not feel threatened by a service exclusively on YouTube.

I wasn't suggesting they run it on Youtube. I also didn't say SKY and BT would 'feel threatened' by it. All I'm saying is that if a decent online service could be established, BT and Sky might want to make sure they stopped it from getting the best SPFL games. There is currently no competition for the rights.

Except it wouldn't.

Even if they got the top end of Topping's supposed demands, that's an extra £2.6M per annum.

Even if that went exclusively to Premiership and was equally divided - which it wouldn't - that's £211k per club.

Even invested exclusively in salaries that gets you, what - 1 or 2 English Championship players? It's £4k a week.

From the BBC's point of view, any increase in fee isn't going to be about enhancing the product to generate UK-wide viewing.

That's just plain reality, surely.

It's true that it's not going to make a huge difference to the quality on the pitch, but a bit more cash could mean more opportunities for apprentices, or maybe a full-time rather than a part-time commercial manager for some smaller clubs. Quite apart from the football aspect, there is an economic issue, too. Why exactly should we be pumping money from Scotland into professional sport in England and Wales? It's not like we've got too much and we need to spread it around.

It is just not right. BBC are the state broadcaster for Scotland and as such should take their responsibility seriously and help fund our national sport. They have no problem doing this for another country in the United Kingdom.

It is not good enough for the BBC to say it is not like for like. Did the BBC pay the same when Aberdeen were beating Bayern Munich and Real Madrid and Dundee United getting to the European Cup semi final? Almost certainly not.

Anyone know how much Denmark for instance get from their state broadcaster? I am sure it is more than "less than a million"

Cringe worthy opening segment, making no secret of the fact they've been gagging for this game for 4 years. No need to pretend you care about the 30 clubs outwith the top flight any more.

Archived