Sportsound Watch

14 minutes ago, wastecoatwilly said:

The consensus on here is Celtic and sevco get more decisions than the rest plus most of the refs come from the west of Scotland.
Surely having a rule in place about the team the refs support and where they grew up would give refs from all over Scotland a better chance of making the grade.
Yes we live in a small country with less teams but the polarised thinking is a detriment to our game.

I don't think the current refs are getting a job due to who they support though.

17 minutes ago, WATTOO said:

Pretty much like Morelos doing someone and then rolling about in agony claiming he was the one who was wronged if you get my drift.....................

I must have missed that...

2 minutes ago, wastecoatwilly said:

I agree,but one step at a time to take away nepotism or cronyism. this is why Andrew Dallas hasn't got a hope in hell whether he is the worst or best ref in Scotland.

The point I'm making is that the biggest game in the country is seen as the Celtic v rangers fixtures. Both teams are expected to reach the final of every competition and battle for the title.

If you are a ref and have to declare allegiance then you are almost certainly not going to get referee the most high profile game in the country. This would then lead to you not being put forward as a UEFA ref or whatever it is.

1 minute ago, Merkland Red said:

The point I'm making is that the biggest game in the country is seen as the Celtic v rangers fixtures. Both teams are expected to reach the final of every competition

And the SFA try to ensure both of them do.

32 minutes ago, WATTOO said:

We would need to accept that the majority of the entire country support one of the old firm as opposed to their local team so where they grew up wouldn't really have any relevance, however there's a few variables in play such as the large partisan home support, media pressure and possibly outside agencies such as sponsors etc interfering.

In fairness, this issue is not just a Scottish problem as the "big teams" from every country invariably get the majority of the contentious decisions going their way, it's probably more that they just accept this and are quite happy as opposed to our old firm getting all the contentious decisions but then bleating about being cheated and conspiracies etc when of course the opposite is true.

Pretty much like Morelos doing someone and then rolling about in agony claiming he was the one who was wronged if you get my drift.....................

For me the integrity of the ref will always be scrutinised and so he should be in a professional manner after all it's a professional game.
I agree with the variables when there is money involved there is corruption it's something all organisations have to deal with.

13 minutes ago, Merkland Red said:

The point I'm making is that the biggest game in the country is seen as the Celtic v rangers fixtures. Both teams are expected to reach the final of every competition and battle for the title.

11 minutes ago, 7-2 said:

And the SFA try to ensure both of them do.

:lol:

(Maybe it should be :bairn!)

Edited by Jacksgranda

We would need to accept that the majority of the entire country support one of the old firm as opposed to their local team so where they grew up wouldn't really have any relevance, however there's a few variables in play such as the large partisan home support, media pressure and possibly outside agencies such as sponsors etc interfering.
In fairness, this issue is not just a Scottish problem as the "big teams" from every country invariably get the majority of the contentious decisions going their way, it's probably more that they just accept this and are quite happy as opposed to our old firm getting all the contentious decisions but then bleating about being cheated and conspiracies etc when of course the opposite is true.
There was a good discussion on this week's Golazzo podcast (The main topic was Luciano Moggi and Calciopoli) which touched on similar themes. It's not so much about which referees support whom but more about how much pressure can be exerted. That may come from the crowd (A lot harder to give a decision you know will mean booing and whistling from 50,000 in the stadium), the manager (especially if it's an elder statesman Alex Ferguson type), the press (which angle is going to sell more papers) or whatever. Celtic and Rangers have all of those things going for them on top of any additional factors that can be brought in such as where they are from, where they went to school, who they support, and (sadly, yes) where the social media threats etc. come from. I have no doubt being a referee in Scotland is a tough gig but fans of both Celtic and Rangers need to (but won't) accept that they will get by far more borderline decisions as a result of all these extra pressures.

22 minutes ago, Merkland Red said:

If you are a ref and have to declare allegiance then you are almost certainly not going to get referee the most high profile game in the country. This would then lead to you not being put forward as a UEFA ref or whatever it is.

In the history of the Scottish cup there has only been 14 Celtic v rangers finals.
High profile games are derbies Scotland has more because it's a small country,Glasgow,auld reekie,Dundee,Ayrshire it would have no effect in terms of being a UEFA ref.

2 hours ago, wastecoatwilly said:

In the history of the Scottish cup there has only been 14 Celtic v rangers finals.
High profile games are derbies Scotland has more because it's a small country,Glasgow,auld reekie,Dundee,Ayrshire it would have no effect in terms of being a UEFA ref.

A Celtic fan would not be able to referee rangers and vice versa.

You're being contradictory for the sake of it so I'll leave it there.

I can't believe folk still debate anything with him, he once claimed the reason Saints don't win the league is purely down to mentality, because Saints sit in against Celtic and don't attack them.

3 minutes ago, RandomGuy. said:

I can't believe folk still debate anything with him, he once claimed the reason Saints don't win the league is purely down to mentality, because Saints sit in against Celtic and don't attack them.

Aye, that's right.  Was there not also some 'logic' in there about the amount being paid for a player being irrelevant?

5 minutes ago, Boghead ranter said:

Aye, that's right.  Was there not also some 'logic' in there about the amount being paid for a player being irrelevant?

'The coin' Is completely irrelevant - did you not hear?

It's literally all about mentality.  Celtic's superiority over say, Stirling Albion is intrinsic and in no way related to the fact that they can pay players lots of money, so can therefore attract better ones.

Anyone pointing to wealth is simply making excuses.

17 minutes ago, Boghead ranter said:

8 minutes ago, Monkey Tennis said:

'The coin' Is completely irrelevant - did you not hear?

It's literally all about mentality.  Celtic's superiority over say, Stirling Albion is intrinsic and in no way related to the fact that they can pay players lots of money, so can therefore attract better ones.

Anyone pointing to wealth is simply making excuses.

This is how I remember it. Celtic are the only team who "want to win every game" or some such shite.

Just now, TheScarf said:

My word.  So the only reason Lionel Messi has had a more successful career than say Stirling Albion's Darren Smith, is because he 'wants it more'.  

Pretty much his logic, aye.