Sportsound Watch

4 hours ago, gannonball said:

Surely not?  :lol: I know the times have changed since then but how on earth did he win a European cup, as a captain ffs.

45 minutes ago, Monkey Tennis said:

No.  Come on, surely not.

What did he actually say?

He was rambling about a square pass and the difference between that and a backpass. As he started to over-think it (difficult to imagine I know) he further rambled about a forward pass to the keeper.

He rambled some more about how he might've missed the latest iteration to the rules (he didn't use iteration, he wouldn't on account of him being an idiot) and then mercifully something happened in the game.

I like to think that his colleagues took a silent and mutual pledge to speak no more of this 

On 28/10/2023 at 19:52, miketheheadlesschicken said:

Hadn’t listened to OAM for a while. I switched off in the first half when they had a discussion about who Celtic’s best player was.

That was hilarious. Only topped by the chat about the best player never capped for Scotland and someone, presumably McHuntyre blurting out “It’s John Brown”.

1 hour ago, Melanius Mullarkay said:

That was hilarious. Only topped by the chat about the best player never capped for Scotland and someone, presumably McHuntyre blurting out “It’s John Brown”.

Derek Ferguson. Though McIntyre then pitched in some shite about Bomber strolling the Champions League in the early 90s.

2 minutes ago, Gibby82 said:

Derek Ferguson. Though McIntyre then pitched in some shite about Bomber strolling the Champions League in the early 90s.

The way McIntyre gets misty eyed about Rangers is hilarious. I have no issue with him being one but he's too emotional about them to be an anchor.

Got back in the car after the St Mirren v St Johnstone game on Saturday just in time to hear Willie Millers analysis, which bared very little resemblance to the game I had just watched. Apparently St Mirrens first goal was a cross into the box which was neatly chested down by Kiltie in to the path of Baccus, when in reality the ball hardly left the grass and Kiltie played the ball into Mandron before taking the ball back just inside the box then laying it off for Baccus to score. He got the players involved for the 3rd goal wrong and then dismissed the 4th goal as a tap in at the back post after a cut back, when it was actually an Olusanya shot off the post which came out to Kiltie and deflected in off the face of a St Johnstone defender. 

It’s really not a difficult job, but getting extremely basic facts wrong doesn’t seem to be an issue at Sportsound, I’m sure he will be back next week sounding like he’s being forced to attend the game against his will. 

Not surprising that Willie Miller was banging on about there being "not much happening here" during a 4-0 pumping. This is a weekly occurrence. He absolutely half-arses every single game he ever covers.

He could be sent out to a 4-4 draw with 2 red cards and his updates would be all about there being no chances and it being poor quality. You can predict what he's going to say about each game a half 2.

15 hours ago, Gibby82 said:

I don't know much about him as a player, but being something of a regular in such a dominant Rangers team around that era makes it slightly surprising that he didn't get a call-up at some point.

1 hour ago, craigkillie said:

I don't know much about him as a player, but being something of a regular in such a dominant Rangers team around that era makes it slightly surprising that he didn't get a call-up at some point.

He was a thug. He made a career of being Rangers' man who ran around kicking people.

If you want someone to go and boot a particular opponent up in the air, he's your man. But he was not an international-level footballer.

Edited by VincentGuerin

1 hour ago, craigkillie said:

I thought he was more of a squad player at Rangers but might be wrong.

14 minutes ago, VincentGuerin said:

He was a thug. He made a career of being Rangers' man who ran around kicking people.

If you want someone to go and boot a particular opponent up in the air, he's your man. But he was not an international-level footballer.

I could imagine times when that would have been useful in international football too though, and before he went to Rangers he did have a good few top flight seasons at Dundee under his belt where he scored a lot of goals, so he must have had at least something about him.

12 minutes ago, Gibby82 said:

I thought he was more of a squad player at Rangers but might be wrong.

I thought that too, but I looked into it after reading this thread and saw that he played 278 times for them (248 of them starts). There can't be many Scottish players with that many appearances for Rangers who haven't been capped internationally, especially not in an era where they were winning everything domestically. Obviously Scotland were a good team in that era too so he would have been up against some tough competition for places.

2 hours ago, Shuggie_Murray7 said:

Not surprising that Willie Miller was banging on about there being "not much happening here" during a 4-0 pumping. This is a weekly occurrence. He absolutely half-arses every single game he ever covers.

He could be sent out to a 4-4 draw with 2 red cards and his updates would be all about there being no chances and it being poor quality. You can predict what he's going to say about each game a half 2.

A few seasons back he was covering Dundee United v Motherwell, near the end they went to him for an update, there was a blast of the whistle and he declared the game over and proceeded to give a quick summing up.  Except that the game continued for another few minutes, including during his summary, and at no point did he correct himself over whether the game had concluded.  I am not sure how a last minute goal would have been covered.

3 hours ago, craigkillie said:

I could imagine times when that would have been useful in international football too though, and before he went to Rangers he did have a good few top flight seasons at Dundee under his belt where he scored a lot of goals, so he must have had at least something about him.

I thought that too, but I looked into it after reading this thread and saw that he played 278 times for them (248 of them starts). There can't be many Scottish players with that many appearances for Rangers who haven't been capped internationally, especially not in an era where they were winning everything domestically. Obviously Scotland were a good team in that era too so he would have been up against some tough competition for places.

If you take Scotland's Euro 92 squad as a reference point, we had the following players who could play centre half: Richard Gough, Maurice Malpas, Dave McPherson, Tom Boyd, Alan McLaren. This at a point when John Brown was already 30.

Alex McLeish and Craig Levein both made appearances for Scotland after this, while in the mid to late 1980s Alan Hansen and Willie Miller were still on the scene.

In that context, it's not much of a surprise he wasn't capped.

7 minutes ago, Darren said:

If you take Scotland's Euro 92 squad as a reference point, we had the following players who could play centre half: Richard Gough, Maurice Malpas, Dave McPherson, Tom Boyd, Alan McLaren. This at a point when John Brown was already 30.

Alex McLeish and Craig Levein both made appearances for Scotland after this, while in the mid to late 1980s Alan Hansen and Willie Miller were still on the scene.

In that context, it's not much of a surprise he wasn't capped.

He was a full back, no?  Thought he was actually a very good player back in the day tbh. 

4 minutes ago, Hoose Rice said:

He was a full back, no?  Thought he was actually a very good player back in the day tbh. 

I think the number of games he played at Rangers was down to him being able to fill in at right back and in midfield as well as at centre half.

17 minutes ago, Darren said:

I think the number of games he played at Rangers was down to him being able to fill in at right back and in midfield as well as at centre half.

I can only every remember him playing at Left Back, never centre half but cool. 

Edited by Hoose Rice