The reason I am changing from yes to no.

stonedsailor

Basically moving from larger communities to smaller communities is a backwards move. So I have changed my opinion on independence. Can anyone give me a reason to change back?

Dissolving large out-dated notions of countries and forming into smaller administrative blocks will cause more co-operation. Type 2 doesn't have to mean one-world government.

Whether individually or collectively the strongest most confident and fearless win the day and are standard bearers it followes that you will carry the day and improve,if you are weak and indecisive you will lose the day,no matter as an analogy how do species survive they survive because the strongest and most fearless win the day,we will be sunk without trace if the NO voters win the day why because they are weak they are subservient they are indecisive,pro,s/con,s should not enter the argument as NO ONE can forecast what is in front of us.Stay strong and hold your head high.

So in what way is this unrelated?

I have seen many arguments on either side, I have read books of arguments but none of them think in the biggest picture of them all. The human race.

Our planet is reaching bursting point with our population at the moment, within a time frame shorter than the time we have had the Union our planet will be near exhausted for resources. To remedy this the whole planet must work together. Splitting up one of our most advanced nations is a backwards step in solving population, food and resources problems. Scotland's wee bit of oil wont help.

Britain's interests lie in making sure the majority of the world remains poor.

I don't care.

I try to persuade people to vote Yes - but I'm not going to do or say anything to get them to change their minds.

Have you watched the video?

No I've not watched the video, I'm already voting NAW :P . Seriously though, I'm not that interested in it and its irrelevant if I thought it was the biggest pile of shit I've ever seen, it's influenced him so that's an end to it for me. If it had convinced him to vote the opposite way it still would have no relevance to me.

I quite like him and I think it's a fair enough angle to come from. I think it's small minded and petty for anyone to mock your thinking, I don't buy it however.

How does an independence in Europe contradict the transition to a type one civilisation? Quite often Kaku refers to politico-economic unions (like the EU and NAFTA) and not actual sovereign states. As time has gone on more countries have broken apart but been bonded by new common interests and sacrificed powers to enter large trading unions.

Scottish independence is a case of fully devolving and transferring the powers that Westminster currently controls to Edinburgh, while also participating in Europe. Constitutional change of this nature will not prohibit social unions (even commenting about Premier League football on an online forum is an example of this) and our scientific community will still be engaged in important work with people the other side of the globe.

How does remaining in a union with the rest of the UK equate to 'moving from larger communities to smaller communities'? If that's the case then was the break up of the USSR a bad thing? Austrian Empire? Sweden-Norway?

We've got to decide what option will result in an arrangement that is suitable to fit our needs and also allow us to participate within an international framework. Just because a country is bigger doesn't mean they contribute to globalisation in a more productive way.

Basically moving from larger communities to smaller communities is a backwards move. So I have changed my opinion on independence. Can anyone give me a reason to change back?

Is this a serious point? If so, are you heading for Mexico City sometime soon to reap the benefits?

In my case, we moved out of the city to a town on the edge of one a few years ago and enjoy it immensely. Good for my work. Better half has a local office. Kids have countryside to play in. Big city only 20 mins away by train. Loving it.

Let's take the OP's "vision" a step further. In around 4.5 billion years, the sun will start to die. As it dies it will expand, consuming Earth and turning it into a burnt husk.

With that in mind, what's the fucking point of anything?

Did you support the Soviet Union when it existed? Were you upset when it came to an end? What about the Third Reich?

These were obviously much larger political "communities" than, for example, modern-dayDenmark.

Is the existence of Denmark more regressive in terms of overall human history than the Third Reich or the pre-WW2 Empire of Japan? If so, why?

Also, skunk is bad for you.

Our planet is reaching bursting point with our population at the moment, within a time frame shorter than the time we have had the Union our planet will be near exhausted for resources. To remedy this the whole planet must work together. Splitting up one of our most advanced nations is a backwards step in solving population, food and resources problems. Scotland's wee bit of oil wont help.

This idea that the planet's population is going to reach 'bursting point' as you call it is complete garbage. Population growth is already slowing down. Hans Rosling's videos are great at explaining the myth of overpopulation and I suggest you have a look at them.

Well here is the paradox. Stay part of the UK and you will leave the EU.

The UK is moving in an insular direction and is highly likely to leave The EU

The chances of The UK leaving The EU are about as great as me and Charles Green having a threesome with The Queen while Prince Phil captures the moment on his iPhone.

Indeed, a Sally-managed Rangers will narrowly lose to Cowdenbeath in the Champions League final in an 80,000 seater stadium on The Isle of Man before The UK leaves the EU.

It just will not happen.

The chances of The UK leaving The EU are about as great as me and Charles Green having a threesome with The Queen while Prince Phil captures the moment on his iPhone.

Indeed, a Sally-managed Rangers will narrowly lose to Cowdenbeath in the Champions League final in an 80,000 seater stadium on The Isle of Man before The UK leaves the EU.

It just will not happen.

Bookmarked.

Kaku here seems to be talking about a International community as a whole rather than bigger states in one planet.

I'd say independence is more related to local decision making within an International community rather than seceding from it.

Archived