Dundee vs Partick Thistle - 16/08/14

Wighton to start next week. Well deserved man of the match. Linking 1play was spot on too. Received a lot of heavy tackling and not protected by ref. Irvine needs to stop over hitting his cross balls. Didn't know McGinn could play left back. Hopefully Thomson is back for St Mirren. McAlister was excellent pressing forward in 2nd half.

Should have won on 2nd half performance. A game of two halves :-) Undefeated.

He offered something new, he seemed fearless in comparison to the older players. How did Tankulic play? (I didn't see the first half) Though I'm guessing not well as he was hooked, don't know why he's failed to carry over his promise from pre season. Wouldn't want Mcginn playing at LB again, he won't cross with his left foot and it won't take defenders long to clock that and stop him from cutting inside. Agree McAlister was great. Ferry hasn't impressed me since signing and would rather have Thomson and McAlister in midfield. Think we should be carving out more clear cut chances with the players we have.

• Replies 504
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Was it a penalty? From the stream I was surprised when the whistle blew. Saw what happened in the aftermath though, Fox was one of a few going over to protest at the referee, with McGowan walking beside him, and he put his hands up and pushed him away. It was a push with no force, and McGowan didn't flinch, but it was in his face and right in front of the referee. When you raise your hands you've got no complaints nowadays, I suppose.

Good point for us.

Fair result in the end.

We were excellent the first 30 minutes. McMillan going off didn't help. Fraser's goal was some strike. Bannigan should have got atleast 1 goal.

The second half was a reverse. Poor defending from the Dundee goal. That Wighton looks a great player. No idea what happened at the penalty. Didn't seem to be any appeals from the players or fans. Apparently Fox punched/elbowed McGowan but that shouldn't be a red IMO. Fox wouldn't have said that so probably not a bad thing. Thought we were pretty solid after that.

Thought Seaborne and Balatoni were solid. Fraser was good again.

Dundee reminded me a bit of us last season. Good at knocking it about but create f**k all. Tunkalic looks shite.

Was it a penalty? From the stream I was surprised when the whistle blew. Saw what happened in the aftermath though, Fox was one of a few going over to protest at the referee, with McGowan walking beside him, and he put his hands up and pushed him away. It was a push with no force, and McGowan didn't flinch, but it was in his face and right in front of the referee. When you raise your hands you've got no complaints nowadays, I suppose.

Good point for us.

Didn't see the push, I just assumed it was something he said. Awful penalty though. Had a feeling he would miss given how long he had to wait it take it. Always seems to happen.

Overall thought we maybe shaded it. First 20 minutes we couldn't get a hold of the ball, and Thistle exposed our lack of width well. Second half, especially after the red we were well on top as you'd expect. Peaso missing another good chance too. Wighton has such composure for a young lad. Took his goal really well - earned a start next week.

Said before this game we have to be beating these poorer sides at home. Partick looked every bit the relegation battlers they did last season despite their fans confidence before the game. We should be sitting on at least 7 points now but find ourselves on just 3. Need to find that cutting edge. Wighton looks ready - let's get him starting.

Said before this game we have to be beating these poorer sides at home. Partick looked every bit the relegation battlers they did last season despite their fans confidence before the game.

I thought they looked a lot more ruthless than when I watched them last season.

Said before this game we have to be beating these poorer sides at home. Partick looked every bit the relegation battlers they did last season despite their fans confidence before the game. We should be sitting on at least 7 points now but find ourselves on just 3. Need to find that cutting edge. Wighton looks ready - let's get him starting.

These poorer sides... Relegation battlers...

You're trying too hard, son.

Good point for us.

Was in the Bobby Cox stand right behind the goal. Penalty was the kind that you don't get often but was a penalty; hands over the shoulders and pulled him back.Thing for me was it seemed to be going on the whole game, both ways, but the ref gave very few of them. Harkins had too long to think about the penalty but for me credit always goes to the keeper when he saves it.

Keeper was stupid, it wasn't aggressive but as you say you just can't raise your hands these days.

Bet the Dundee fans who predicted a top 6 finish are feeling a bit silly now.

No not at all! We're still settling and rotating strikers, finding out the best match. Hopefully Wighton will be part of that. Thistle are a very good side and we dominated the second half. We will come good but are undefeated. If we'd scored the penalty today and taken one of the chances v Killie, we'd be sitting on 7 pts.

lol man

Thing is, Fox has probably lost his starting position after that. It was a real close call between him and Gallacher - who was picked ahead of him for the second half of last season - as to who would start this season. He played well against County, has got sent off today, and I'd expect Gallacher to keep him out. He obviously saved the penalty, and then made a good save from MacDonald too.

No not at all! We're still settling and rotating strikers, finding out the best match. Hopefully Wighton will be part of that. Thistle are a very good side and we dominated the second half. We will come good but are undefeated. If we'd scored the penalty today and taken one of the chances v Killie, we'd be sitting on 7 pts.

You've had a relatively easy start to the season. 9th and 10th from last season at home. You couldn't beat either, even when 10th from last season played a third of the game with 10 men.

If you genuinely still believe you're going to finish top 6 then you're beyond deluded.

Rank rotten performance from Dundee in first half - totally outplayed and very fortunate to be only 1 down. (How did Thistle player miss the header?) Archibald's tactics were spot on - 2 attacking our full backs, we were all over the place. Totally outplayed. Embarrassing.

Wighton did more in 45 mins that other forwards have done in 3 games.

Shocking substitution by Harley taking Gary Harkins off - only him and Wighton looked capable of opening them up. f**k knows what he was thinking about. Fucking shocking.

As far as the pen (which we missed) was concerned. A number if their players had their hands all over Dundee players when ball got played in. Think the foul was on McPake. But why was McGowan was anyplace near their keeper to begin with? Don't like to see players getting boys sent off - sure Fox was calf raising his hands - but McGowan should never have been there in first place.

Worst performance of season from Dundee. that was poor. Thistle fully merited at least a point.

He offered something new, he seemed fearless in comparison to the older players. How did Tankulic play? (I didn't see the first half) Though I'm guessing not well as he was hooked, don't know why he's failed to carry over his promise from pre season. Wouldn't want Mcginn playing at LB again, he won't cross with his left foot and it won't take defenders long to clock that and stop him from cutting inside. Agree McAlister was great. Ferry hasn't impressed me since signing and would rather have Thomson and McAlister in midfield. Think we should be carving out more clear cut chances with the players we have.

Tankulic wasn't great. His first touch let him down and link up play wasn't working as well as it could. At one point he passed an easy ball straight out of the park near the main stand and Gerry M just held his hands up at him. Looked great in some of the friendlies but seems to have lost confidence and touch.

Agree that Wighton seems confident and fearless. So positive.

Right, I'll start with the negatives and there were a few. The entire first half for starters. We just couldn't get going, the formation wasn't working, Partick were playing at an incredible tempo and we couldn't play our normal passing game as Partick were running our players down at every opportunity. Other than the goal and a point blank, open goal headed miss, Partick seemed rather toothless. Very good side, but need that little bit extra and if they got that bit extra I could see them challenging for a top 6 spot.

Tankulic was absolutely abysmal. McGinn during the first half wasn't much better and got caught time and time again, although to be fair, he did have a hard time considering Partick's play style.

The penalty - Let's not beat around the bush, Harkins penalty was pathetic. That being said, in his defense, it was some wait until the penalty was taken and Hartley called Wighton over and told him to tell Harkins to hit it down the middle. Obviously, can't hear from the Bobby Cox but the body language was obvious. If you're going to hit a penalty down the middle, you don't do anything other than rifle it unless you're Andrea Pirlo. Wasn't so much a save from Gallacher as an atrocious penalty and if it had been even a touch harder it'd have been a goal.

Gallacher, however, did produce a fantastic save from a Peter MacDonald header which was expertly tipped round the post.

Gary Irvine played alright, much better than he was a while back but still one or two trademark dodgy crosses.

Craig Wighton - What a player. Thistle just couldn't handle him. Highlight for me was when he ripped Partick's number 8 a new one, he clearly reacted angrily and tried to fould Wighton which the ref gave for a free-kick, number 8 was fuming and tried to have a bit of afters and Wighton skinned him again, before number 8 tried to push Wighton away before being made to look a fool once more.

Second half formation we played really well and credit to Hartley for realising it needed changed. We've had too many stubborn managers in the past that'd stick with the same formation and we'd have been beaten 3-0 without offering as much as a whimper in response.

Partick Thistle's goal was a thunderbolt, no stopping it, great strike.

I think the biggest miss for us today was no Thomson or McBride, Ferry is a good player but he couldn't play the holding role that Thomson's effective at and allows us to dictate the pace, as it was, we played a Thistle's tempo throughout the first half.

Osbourne is one of the biggest time wasters going by the way! As for the penalty, no clue what happened, all I seen was Fox completely losing the plot after it had been awarded.

All in all, happy with a point, feel a bit annoyed we never took all three but after the first half we could have been leaving without any.

Archived