Dundee vs Partick Thistle - 16/08/14

• Replies 504
  • Created
  • Last Reply

When all said and done we've scored one goal in 270 minutes of open play. Very poor today, point all we deserved IMO. Still raging about Harkins getting hooked

Why? Harkins was ineffective the whole game, apart from one cross from a free kick that hit the top of the bar. His penalty was a disgrace, even if the keeper dives to a corner his trailing leg will always stop a weak penalty rolled down the middle. If you're going to go down the middle get it half way up the net at least.

Said it last week, this 4-2-2-2 doesn't work. At times we are keeping the ball for fun, but we end up having to go back to McPake/Konrad more often than not because we have no outlets out wide. When the full backs do push on, we end up with huge gaps down the flanks. I could see the point in trying to accommodate two strikers, if we had two good strikers but we don't. Our strength is clearly in midfield, so let's pack it out. It would give us some extra options instead of playing through the middle all the time. I think it would benefit McGinn also if he had a midfielder to overlap.

Partick looked very good up until the scored, and then didn't really offer much for the rest of the half and then offered nothing at all the whole of the second half. After the Partick fans bigging up their midfield after the Ross County game I was fearful we might get the run around with this 4222 formation but, the first 10 mins aside, they didn't cause us any problems.

Cracking strike for the goal mind you.

The point will fucking do. First half we ran the show and got the lead, however not enough of a lead. Second half we weren't great, got fox sent off, Gallagher as per saved a penalty then we just about held out. Yaldi. I'll happily take the point.

To the absolute minority weirdo Dee fans obsessed with our attendees. Was the numbers and noise good enough for you? Imho it was.

mrcat1990, on 16 Aug 2014 - 19:22, said:

The point will fucking do. First half we ran the show and got the lead, however not enough of a lead. Second half we weren't great, got fox sent off, Gallagher as per saved a penalty then we just about held out. Yaldi. I'll happily take the point.

To the absolute minority weirdo Dee fans obsessed with our attendees. Was the numbers and noise good enough for you? Imho it was.

Cracking noise. I see that you also had another section opened up for you shortly before the game started. About 800-1000 of you there is decent.

Something I missed from my post. Thistle support was very good. Kudos.

No very happy with the numbers and noise from the travelling fans. About 1500 more than Hamilton, Ross County, ICT will bring!

Why? Harkins was ineffective the whole game, apart from one cross from a free kick that hit the top of the bar. His penalty was a disgrace, even if the keeper dives to a corner his trailing leg will always stop a weak penalty rolled down the middle. If you're going to go down the middle get it half way up the net at least.

Said it last week, this 4-2-2-2 doesn't work. At times we are keeping the ball for fun, but we end up having to go back to McPake/Konrad more often than not because we have no outlets out wide. When the full backs do push on, we end up with huge gaps down the flanks. I could see the point in trying to accommodate two strikers, if we had two good strikers but we don't. Our strength is clearly in midfield, so let's pack it out. It would give us some extra options instead of playing through the middle all the time. I think it would benefit McGinn also if he had a midfielder to overlap.

Partick looked very good up until the scored, and then didn't really offer much for the rest of the half and then offered nothing at all the whole of the second half. After the Partick fans bigging up their midfield after the Ross County game I was fearful we might get the run around with this 4222 formation but, the first 10 mins aside, they didn't cause us any problems.

Cracking strike for the goal mind you.

Disagree. Harkins hardly saw any of the ball first half, because we didn't have it very often. Second half he had put in some really good passes (was it not him that put Wighton in - can't remember?), he'd had a great run down right with a good cross, won a free kick on the right just outside box. Peaso on other hand couldn't make it stick all day.

Our formation worked well v Killie but ICT got round us time and time again We'd night & it happened again today. The whole of the first half they totally outplayed us yet he didn't change it? Strange to me,

Yeah great strike from the boy, a cracker

Think Hartley should have changed tactics during first half - midfield were far too close together giving us little space to work in with Partick pressing so well. Live and learn - should get better as season progresses

I missed the game but, on the face of it, a good solid result for us considering. Far more positives to take than negatives anyway.

For a start you can be certain that last season the 94th minute corner would have been planted into the net by an unmarked header. Two games and no set piece goal conceded has to be some kind of record for us since promotion.

Good to see Fraser beginning to make a real habit of getting shots away at the edge of the box, he'll chip in with a fair amount for us this season.

We can go into the Hamilton game now with the momentum from last Wednesday still unbroken thanks to Paul Gallagher/Gary Harkins being a fat waster.

I'm gutted about Jordan McMillan. Hopefully it's not overly serious but if he's been injured then you fear due to his track record that he could end up missing half the season. Hopefully whatever's up with him he'll be back soon though, not only has he been a key and consistent performer for us of late, but he's also part of the experienced spine of our team now. I think we'll bring a left back in before next weekend now, I don't really fancy Keenan there and Seaborne looks good alongside Balatoni.

Dundee should be okay if they find a cutting edge. A lot to ask of the white guy that came on at half time, Wighton? Need more than Tankulic and Peaso showed, imo.

Thistle are considering an appeal against the red card.

There's no way Fox would have saved the penalty so him getting sent off won us a point.

We need a LB for the Accies game.

Keenan can do a job if supported by Higgy and with Seaborne inside of him.

I know your probably just looking for a bite but Ive been surprised at how many Dundee fans are talking about a top 6 finish, I'd take a comfortable 10th now.

I was surprised too.

As I said, my point was not directed at Dundee fans like yourself who predicted and are seeking 10th. That's a sensibly optimistic prediction and a realistic goal. You live in the real world.

My point was aimed at the several Dundee fans who predicted nonsense like top 6 and that German kid to out score Mackay. They didn't live in the real world, perhaps they do now, perhaps it will take dropping more points at home to 10 men bottom 6 teams to get them there.

Archived