Do we miss each other?

• Replies 93
  • Created
  • Last Reply

One of them was 4-4 at Ibrox, was it not?

Remember that game like it was yesterday, played in a monsoon at Ibrox, Murdo McLeod scored a screamer late on to earn us a point with ten men, it was the first game shown on TV (highlights only) after a year long stand off between the SFL and BBC/ITV, Scotsport chose it as their Sunday highlights featured match, we won every game after that, seven I think to win the title on the last day when Hearts shat it up at Dundee :lol:

"Memories.......misty water coloured memories......of the way we were...."

I dont, since Rangers were liquidated and the succesor formed in 2012 pay much attention to goings on at Ibrox and threads and forums involving them, I take a passing interest in their results and have a wee chuckle at their setbacks but, I have noticed on this website and in the media in general fans of other clubs all are of the opinion we all desperately miss the battle between the two clubs and Celtic in particular both on and off the field have suffered indirectly.

I wondered what you bears and my fellow Celtic fans thought?

As a club I think, only an opinion of course that its not an issue for The Rangers as they have bigger issues to deal with, ongoing boardroom strife, dodgy directors, financial concerns and less than smooth passage up the league system, a one off cup tie would not be something I think their fans would welcome as it would probably result in a pasting, although to be fair it would be a bit tighter than had it been a year or two ago.

From my point of view I must admit I miss the hype and the event of 'derby day', there was no better feeling than winning one of those, especially a league decider or cup final, I miss these fixtures and Celtic fans who say they dont are being a bit flexible with the truth, aside from that though I dont miss them as a club and have continued attending games, domestic and european as much as I used to, I havent lost interest in supporting my club due to the absence of an historic rival.

The board at Celtic will say otherwise but it has had a negative effect on the club, both in terms of an element of decreased attendences and, moreso Id estimate in the ability to attract a higher quality of player, Sutton, Hartson, De Boer and the likes probably didnt automaticaly think our league was the highest standard they could attain but, the opportunity to play in THAT fixture had to be a factor of some sort, id guess that trying to get decent quality and household names to join Celtic to play Kilmarnock and Hamilton will be more difficult, although guarenteed European football and domestic honours can compensate... and a shit hot salary too no doubt

Overall id say I miss the fixture as a singular factor only and not the general rivalry etc, I dont think the clubs miss each other or need each other as much as others say, they do to a point though.

What do you boys and girls reckon?

Pretty darn hard not to miss something that isn't there any more, but I do wonder if the new club could put up as much of a fight for the title their previous incarnation offered up even if they were cheating EBT financial doping bassas.

That said I'd rather watch a close game with any of the current Premiership sides rather than listening the vile bigoted bullshite that will come with a pretend wanna be OF fixture.

Even if you were to believe it's still Rangers !, these current muppets at Ibrox will not be challenging for anything other than financial survival for the next decade or more.

I don't but I know others that do.

Every now and then you'd see a statistic suggesting that A&E admissions and domestic abuse incidents rose on the day of old firm games.....I'd love to know if there has now been (an overall) decrease in both? No one's saying...maybe it's not newsworthy?

Every now and then you'd see a statistic suggesting that A&E admissions and domestic abuse incidents rose on the day of old firm games.....I'd love to know if there has now been (an overall) decrease in both? No one's saying...maybe it's not newsworthy?

There's an overall rise in A&E admissions and domestic abuse on any occasion where lots of people are drinking all day, but not all of them are likely to garner the police guaranteed press coverage. As soon as Police Scotland work out how to tie e.g. New Year's Eve to one of their hobby-horses, you'll start to see We must do something about this awful Hogmanay headlines.

There's an overall rise in A&E admissions and domestic abuse on any occasion where lots of people are drinking all day, but not all of them are likely to garner the police guaranteed press coverage. As soon as Police Scotland work out how to tie e.g. New Year's Eve to one of their hobby-horses, you'll start to see We must do something about this awful Hogmanay headlines.

Unworthy of you Rodent.

Unworthy of you Rodent.

I'm not just making this up, you know. The police, like most big organisations, have a press office - I've dealt with them in a professional capacity numerous times - whose job it is to get their messages into the papers, on this issue as much as everything else.

Next time you see a positive story about the police*, or a story about them complaining about something, read through to the bottom. Almost certainly, it'll be a paraphrase of a police press release, and these things really are almost always issued in pursuit of some corporate goal or other that may or may not coincide with the interests of actual public protection. Modern newspapers are so short-staffed that they look for easy ways to fill pages, so they just rejig the phrasing and slap entire press releases onto the page.

And this isn't just my usual cynicism, either. It's the way the game is played.

*(Or any other part of the justice, health, education, farming or culture sectors)

Edit: This is really about my many annoyances at Police Scotland and their forebears, rather than a specifically football issue.

I'm not just making this up, you know. The police, like most big organisations, have a press office - I've dealt with them in a professional capacity numerous times - whose job it is to get their messages into the papers, on this issue as much as everything else.

Next time you see a positive story about the police*, or a story about them complaining about something, read through to the bottom. Almost certainly, it'll be a paraphrase of a police press release, and these things really are almost always issued in pursuit of some corporate goal or other that may or may not coincide with the interests of actual public protection. Modern newspapers are so short-staffed that they look for easy ways to fill pages, so they just rejig the phrasing and slap entire press releases onto the page.

And this isn't just my usual cynicism, either. It's the way the game is played.

*(Or any other part of the justice, health, education, farming or culture sectors)

Edit: This is really about my many annoyances at Police Scotland and their forebears, rather than a specifically football issue.

I'm sure you're right. We live in an age of spin.

In the context of this discussion though, it looked like an attempt to deflect from the issue that most of society's most anti-social, follow OF clubs.

The OP is so sure he doesn't miss them, he starts a thread about them.

I think the issue of not having their historical rivals around (I can't be arsed with the Rangers v Sevco chat on this particular thread as it's still the same mutants following them, so they'll still be rivals with Celtic when they get to the Premiership) is bigger for Celtic than Rangers. At shit as they've been in the last couple of seasons, at least Rangers can always strive to make it out of whatever league they're in and then do the same again next year. Their seasons have had some kind of purpose.

What is the point in Celtic right now without Rangers around to validate their existence? It must be mind numbing being a Celtic fan at the moment, with every league season being a foregone conclusion. How can you even celebrate that without feeling awkward and shallow? Celtic fans are all choking for Rangers to come back, no doubt about it.

Do I miss Rangers an unequivocal NO!!!! The question is do Hibs have enough to challenge Hearts & Sevco Rangers or are they just going to sit back and throw in the towel have they any ambition left? That's the real question!!!!!! :huh:

Nothing pano about it. I prefer Rangers fans for banter and the like because they know what it's all about and they're a big club. You lot and your ilk are happy to have a wee jokey laugh in league. Utter sh**e if you ask me.

Can't wait for the big derbies again

That's more like it.

A self-confessed walloper.

The OP is so sure he doesn't miss them, he starts a thread about them.

I think the issue of not having their historical rivals around (I can't be arsed with the Rangers v Sevco chat on this particular thread as it's still the same mutants following them, so they'll still be rivals with Celtic when they get to the Premiership) is bigger for Celtic than Rangers. At shit as they've been in the last couple of seasons, at least Rangers can always strive to make it out of whatever league they're in and then do the same again next year. Their seasons have had some kind of purpose.

What is the point in Celtic right now without Rangers around to validate their existence? It must be mind numbing being a Celtic fan at the moment, with every league season being a foregone conclusion. How can you even celebrate that without feeling awkward and shallow? Celtic fans are all choking for Rangers to come back, no doubt about it.

100% agree, although i think only the bigot type Celtic fans miss us badly imo.

Look at the BRALT thread for examples, there's even a 'kiddie-on' killie supporter to laugh at.

Do I miss Rangers an unequivocal NO!!!! The question is do Hibs have enough to challenge Hearts & Sevco Rangers or are they just going to sit back and throw in the towel have they any ambition left? That's the real question!!!!!! :huh:

Yeah, that's the question alright.

http://www.express.co.uk/news/uk/385119/Lack-of-Old-Firm-games-sees-drop-in-home-violence

Police Scotland interview with Stephen House, chief constable, basically transcribed without any of his claims being subject to any critical process whatsoever. If they were, the Express wouldn't get any more interviews from Stephen House, ever.

Do you see what I'm getting at?

Archived