Salmond vs Darling: Round 2 (25th Aug)

Quentin Taranbino

• Replies 896
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I reckon he'll have a better grasp on the challenges than you.

I'd say that's spectacularly unlikely, given he thinks that pile of fail was a prototype for a perfect Salmond diatribe.

No, i certainly don't claim to know as much as the economic experts of the fiscal commission.

Two Nobel laureates or a message board poster called H_B, tough one.

This will be the Scottish Government's fiscal commission right? Their recommendations are absolutely fair enough - where the SG have erred is in being arrogant enough to assume whats best for them and us will be fine for another sovereign state.

I take it you also agree with Joseph Stiglitz when he states that a reduction in Corporation Tax increases inequality in society?

This will be the Scottish Government's fiscal commission right? Their recommendations are absolutely fair enough - where the SG have erred is in being arrogant enough to assume whats best for them and us will be fine for another sovereign state.

I take it you also agree with Joseph Stiglitz when he states that a reduction in Corporation Tax increases inequality in society?

Stiglitz also calls for a generally fairer tax system for everyone.

How does that sit with Google, Starbucks, Amazon, Boots, etc?

This will probably be the exact same as the STV debate: the two debaters talking over one another, and an audience shouting through it like it's a darts match and asking the most cringe-inducing questions. The only way to keep these kind of debates civil is to cut out the idiots by cutting out the audience, and by being strict about a one-at-a-time policy.

Even then TV debates are only ever about image rather than substance anyway.

Stiglitz also calls for a generally fairer tax system for everyone.

How does that sit with Google, Starbucks, Amazon, Boots, etc?

I think Google, Starbuck, Amazon etc will be delighted with any reductions in corporation tax. We would still have some way to go of course to match Ireland as tax haven of choice.

I think Google, Starbuck, Amazon etc will be delighted with any reductions in corporation tax. We would still have some way to go of course to match Ireland as tax haven of choice.

You know fine well what I'm talking about. Still, if you don't want to address the issue...

You know fine well what I'm talking about. Still, if you don't want to address the issue...

I've already addressed the issue. A CT cut is, in the words of the SG's own economic adviser, whose views on a CU we are being asked to take very seriously, a gift to corporations and it increases inequality in society.

That's fine if yuo want to cheerlead an increase in inequality in society. It's not for me, but if the right wing SNP elements wish to cheerlead this, it's their prerogative.

I hope this is not another debate that get's wrapped around the currency debate issue.

I really don't think it would be wise for Salmond to mention Iceland :lol:

I agree with the above though. I was a bit disappointed that they seem to have chunked up this debate into quarters, one of which was the economy. I know Salmond has already said "I made an arse of it last time... I want to have another go" but I can't see it being anything other than groundhog day.

The broadcast will be split up into four sections....

SECTION ONE: Opening statements - Alex Salmond will go first, Alistair Darling second. (Mr Salmond won the coin toss and elected to go first).

SECTION TWO: The issues- The two men will debate four topics titled;

1. Economy
  2. Scotland at Home
  3. Scotland in the World
  4. What Happens after the Vote

(Each will be introduced with a question from the audience.)

SECTION THREE: Cross-examination - Alistair Darling will go first, Alex Salmond second. (Mr Darling won the coin toss and elected to go first).

SECTION FOUR: Closing statements - Alex Salmond will go first, Alistair Darling second. (Mr Darling opted to go second).

You will see project fear in all it's glory tonight as threats to the NHS will be hyperbolic as will the threat of cuts and further austerity post referendum.

Like these kind of cuts, you mean?

Danny Alexander reveals 500,000 job cuts in document gaffe

Half a million public sector workers are to lose their jobs as a result of the comprehensive review of government spending, official documents have disclosed.

-----

Danny Alexander, the Chief Secretary to the Treasury, unwittingly disclosed the full scale of the expected redundancies when he was photographed yesterday reading confidential briefing papers.

The documents showed that the independent Office for Budget Responsibility is likely to forecast 500,000 public sector workers will lose their jobs because of the cuts, the biggest in public spending since the Second World War.

Tens of thousands of officials in departments across Whitehall will be offered redundancy in the coming weeks under Coalition plans to cut more than £80  billion in public spending over the next four years.

Public sector workers will also have a two-year pay freeze and be told that they face increased pension contributions from next year.

George Osborne, the Chancellor, will announce the outcome of the Government’s Comprehensive Spending Review today. The document will set out plans to cut public spending over the next four years to reduce the black hole in the state finances. But experts have warned that further tax rises may still be needed because the cuts may not be enough.

If those cuts are spread evenly across the UK - pooled and shared, you might say - it will mean the end of 1 in 10 public sector jobs in Scotland.

But since public sector employment is slightly higher in Scotland than the rest of the UK - 23% of the workforce as opposed to 21% of the workforce in England and Wales - the axe will in fact fall somewhat heavier here, especially after a No result gives the Tories free reign to slash and burn north of the border in the full knowledge that they have no votes to lose by it.

Archived