Shipyard goes bust...

Crùbag

• Replies 44
  • Created
  • Last Reply

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-scotland-glasgow-west-28803561

But hey! I though being part of 'something bigger' would save our 29k... er 3k shipbuilding jobs? Shows how reliant we are on North Korean style military contracts. Other small nations seem to develop diverse ship building.

Sadly I don't think there is any way that this company could have been saved. Other countries can produce cheaper ships of similar quality and the UK (or Scottish) economy would need to be vastly altered to allow this sort of heavy industry to be viable - and if that was to happen there would be losers elsewhere in the economy.

It would be a shame to see this particular issue being used as sabre ratting for either side of the debate. What is more important is the future investment in getting those who lost their jobs new ones.

A no vote is the only way to save shipbuilding though.

Care to provide some evidence of this? Or is it just another in the long line of scaremongering that the No campaign revel in?

Military contracts though, ken. We should be grateful for what we are given and know our place!

You have a strange posting style, my man. Kind of what an Evening Times cryptic crossword would be like.

We have the best of both worlds. A strong ship building industry with the stability of the UK propping it up.

Green dot for the laugh that just gave me.

I actually thought you were trying to talk up the No vote too.

Sadly I don't think there is any way that this company could have been saved. Other countries can produce cheaper ships of similar quality and the UK (or Scottish) economy would need to be vastly altered to allow this sort of heavy industry to be viable - and if that was to happen there would be losers elsewhere in the economy.

It would be a shame to see this particular issue being used as sabre ratting for either side of the debate. What is more important is the future investment in getting those who lost their jobs new ones.

Care to provide some evidence of this? Or is it just another in the long line of scaremongering that the No campaign revel in?

Pinch me - I'm actually agreeing with CB for once.

There is no point trying to save the shipping industry - we just can't compete with the international competition. It would be better utilising skills in the rapidly-growing renewables sector.

Sympathies with those made redundant as a result of this.

A no vote is the only way to save shipbuilding though.

Neither a No or a Yes vote will save what is a dying industry.

Instead of throwing money at a lost cause it would make more sense either reskilling workers for other work or using the skills they have in an industry that is growing.

Archived