Best young prospect in the league?

• Replies 138
  • Created
  • Last Reply

How many ex Celtic youth players have Dundee had over the years?

I'd be surprised of every team in the premiership didn't at least have 1 at some point in the recent history

How much money did you make from us from these 'players'?

How many ex Celtic youth players have Dundee had over the years?

I'd be surprised of every team in the premiership didn't at least have 1 at some point in the recent history

Andy Robertson was ok I suppose.

Why on Earth are people questioning Ziggy Gordon's abilities based on how many goals he's scored? He's a defender for Christ sake :lol:

Anyway, Ziggy aside I would have to agree with John McGinn

Genuinely, not trolling, who was the last 'genuine' talent Celtic 'produced' for Scotland? You have one of if not THE biggest academy in Scotland, and who have you produced recently for the National team? The only two I can think of in recent memory are McGeady (Ireland) and Forrest. Calum McGregor may well be the next but are you not even slightly embarrassed that a side like Livi or others can produce better than Celtic? Example, Snodgrass.

Celtic don't do enough to blood in their youngsters when realistically, they are currently the biggest and best team and Scotland and until Deila took over, there was zero evidence of Celtic trying to blood exciting players other than Forrest.

David Marshall was the premierships best goalkeeper last season. I just hope he gets the move he deserves this season

David Marshall was the premierships best goalkeeper last season. I just hope he gets the move he deserves this season

He's made himself by moving away from Celtic and not becoming the next Stewart Kerr/ Mark Brown.

Celtic have the best youngsters as evidenced by them winning the youth leagues almost every season. However they don't get a chance and invariably move on.

Hearts, Aberdeen, killie, st mirren and United seem to be the best at producing good quality players right now.

How much better do you want? He's a Scottish regular and plays in the CL. While they also have a player playing at one of the top English sides. Theres no other club in this country who have youth players at the same level, Livingstons best is Snodgrass, who plays for a mid-table EPL side and Dorrans, who plays for a mid-table EPL side.

Charlie Mulgrew made himself elsewhere. He never even made a first team appearance for Celtic before moving on.

The comparison of sizes between Celtic and Livi yet Livi have 2 regular's in the Scotland side and Leigh Griffiths, it's a disgrace Celtic don't have more than they do considering they get basically free choice on who they want in their academy.

Charlie Mulgrew made himself elsewhere. He never even made a first team appearance for Celtic before moving on.

The comparison of sizes between Celtic and Livi yet Livi have 2 regular's in the Scotland side and Leigh Griffiths, it's a disgrace Celtic don't have more than they do considering they get basically free choice on who they want in their academy.

Where?

He was a failure at Wolves, Southend and didn't set the heather on fire at Aberdeen, the only reason we signed him is because Lennon had worked with him in the youth squad before he took the managers job.

A "disgrace" dry yer eyes, and mind your neck in.

Celtic have produced plenty of players, just because they don't all go on to play for the national team for Scotland or their respective nations doesn't mean it's a failure

Enrico Annoni, on 20 Aug 2014 - 15:46, said:

Where?

He was a failure at Wolves, Southend and didn't set the heather on fire at Aberdeen, the only reason we signed him is because Lennon had worked with him in the youth squad before he took the managers job.

A "disgrace" dry yer eyes, and mind your neck in.

Celtic have produced plenty of players, just because they don't all go on to play for the national team for Scotland or their respective nations doesn't mean it's a failure

He was playing in the top flight of Scotland before Celtic signed him. That's more than decent and as for 'not setting the fire alight' well, that's not exactly true now is it?

Let's put this in the simplest terms for you, I'll use basic numbers just to show the comparison between Celtic's system and say the Livi system.

Let's say Livi have £1million to spend on their youth system and Celtic have £10million: whatever the exact figures are, I'm sure 10x the amount Livi spend on their youth is only a conservative estimate. In recent history, Livi have produced 3 Scottish National talents in Snodgrass, Dorrans and Griffiths. Celtic have produced David Marshall, James Forrest and if you are gonna keep whining about it, I'll give you Charlie Mulgrew.

You say that Celtic produce talents for other Scottish teams as if this is some fantastic work Celtic do, well considering the money, the free choice of youth's and the facilities Celtic offer this isn't a great thing, it isn't even good. Dundee have little to no youth system and we provide the Juniors with excellent players for that standard, it's not the standard we're aiming to develop them for but it's the quality we're churning out, ie, not good enough. Same with Celtic, the money they invest, their should be more coming from what is Scotland's 'premium' club. Instead, Celtic prefer to buy 'cheap' (By Celtic's standards) foreign players or already proven players and utilise them instead. If Ranger's were in the League, I'd say that's fair enough, the competition is there, but Celtic have the league monopolised for the considerable future and other than McGregor they have barely tried to break anyone in.

The Scottish players that Celtic do have that have featured prominently in the last 2 or so seasons are all proven stars from other clubs and then you have Forrest and McGregor.

As it's already been mentioned Dundee have Craig Wighton.

However, I need to also remind my fellow Dundee fans that we also have Martin Boyle who is only 21 too, he's not incredible but he could easily be a late bloomer and come on well this season.

We also have, dare I say it, Philip Roberts who is 20 and if he improves his work rate and keeps his attitude under control, he could yet make the steps he was once touted to make.

Then we also have some young guys who have been kicking around our (lack of) youth set up for a while in (John Bonnar, Callum Brodie - Goalkeepers, not likely to get a chance unless impressing on loan or we get an overly easy cup tie) Matty Allan, Ben Sivewright, Calvin Colquhoun, Dale Davidson and Lee Cameron then the one that Bombscare signed last season Thomas Carberry, who I assume have all been kept around because Hartley has seen something in them, although i've not been too impressed with their start to the season in the Development League. I would expect at least one of them will get a game or two this season to see what they can do under pressure in a real game, Most likely Matty Allan or Ben Siverwright will be the ones to get the chance due to our lack of depth in defense.

He was playing in the top flight of Scotland before Celtic signed him. That's more than decent and as for 'not setting the fire alight' well, that's not exactly true now is it?

Let's put this in the simplest terms for you, I'll use basic numbers just to show the comparison between Celtic's system and say the Livi system.

Let's say Livi have £1million to spend on their youth system and Celtic have £10million: whatever the exact figures are, I'm sure 10x the amount Livi spend on their youth is only a conservative estimate. In recent history, Livi have produced 3 Scottish National talents in Snodgrass, Dorrans and Griffiths. Celtic have produced David Marshall, James Forrest and if you are gonna keep whining about it, I'll give you Charlie Mulgrew.

You say that Celtic produce talents for other Scottish teams as if this is some fantastic work Celtic do, well considering the money, the free choice of youth's and the facilities Celtic offer this isn't a great thing, it isn't even good. Dundee have little to no youth system and we provide the Juniors with excellent players for that standard, it's not the standard we're aiming to develop them for but it's the quality we're churning out, ie, not good enough. Same with Celtic, the money they invest, their should be more coming from what is Scotland's 'premium' club. Instead, Celtic prefer to buy 'cheap' (By Celtic's standards) foreign players or already proven players and utilise them instead. If Ranger's were in the League, I'd say that's fair enough, the competition is there, but Celtic have the league monopolised for the considerable future and other than McGregor they have barely tried to break anyone in.

The Scottish players that Celtic do have that have featured prominently in the last 2 or so seasons are all proven stars from other clubs and then you have Forrest and McGregor.

You're absolutely raging ain't you? :lol: FFS This is an embarrassment of a post, proper tear stained raint.

Charlie Mulgrew was a product of your youth academy. It's that simple.

I've never claimed Celtic have an outstanding record in developing players for our first team which is what they should be doing, not to produce players for Scotland, thats probably why you keep overlooking McGeady.

I couldn't care less about Dundee youth development. I've got no idea why you care so much about ours.

The original comment was a Dundee fan having a pop saying a Celtic fan doesn't have a clue about young scottish talent, I was pointing out the irony in that coming from a Dundee fan with your record in overpaying foreigners that almost put you out of business.

You keep going on about how we have the pick of youth players in the country, I bet you're moan about us signing other youth scottish players.

Anyways, this is tragic. if you want to be seething about our youth development I suggest you email Celtic. :lol:

Enrico Annoni, on 20 Aug 2014 - 16:14, said:

You're absolutely raging ain't you? :lol: FFS This is an embarrassment of a post, proper tear stained raint.

Charlie Mulgrew was a product of your youth academy. It's that simple.

I've never claimed Celtic have an outstanding record in developing players for our first team which is what they should be doing, not to produce players for Scotland, thats probably why you keep overlooking McGeady.

I couldn't care less about Dundee youth development. I've got no idea why you care so much about ours.

The original comment was a Dundee fan having a pop saying a Celtic fan doesn't have a clue about young scottish talent, I was pointing out the irony in that coming from a Dundee fan with your record in overpaying foreigners that almost put you out of business.

You keep going on about how we have the pick of youth players in the country, I bet you're moan about us signing other youth scottish players.

Anyways, this is tragic. if you want to be seething about our youth development I suggest you email Celtic. :lol:

I'm just stating the facts.

As it is though, it was I that brought up McGeady in the first place, I didn't overlook him. Deflect away by saying I'm 'raging' though, as a club that has a history of overspending, I certainly wouldn't be happy if we were investing as much as Celtic do and getting the same return.

Phil Roberts may well turn out to be great for us DBurns, but I highly doubt he'll ever be anywhere near the best prospects in the league.

Archived