Best young prospect in the league?

• Replies 138
  • Created
  • Last Reply

These threads always pop up when the fan of a team thinks its his team who has the best prospect :lol:

Not a dig at the OP but it does always happen.

Point taken but it was genuinely through reading a few other threads, most recently the Thistle one.

The standard of young player looks to be really high which is good for Scottish football.

Wighton is only 17 so long way to go for him - Leighton Mcintosh was gonna be massive for us a few seasons ago at that age so I'm not jumping the gun too much but I think the general consensus at dens is that he's got great potential.

I'm not arrogant enough to say he's the best prospect in the league. He's played 1 top flight game while some of the names mentioned are key players for their established premiership teams.

Point taken but it was genuinely through reading a few other threads, most recently the Thistle one.

The standard of young player looks to be really high which is good for Scottish football.

:lol: Aye the grounds are full of Real Madrid scouts

Telfer, Spittal and Connolly are amongst our brightest young prospects for us but none of them has had the opportunity to prove themselves yet.

John Souttar is injured at present but he had a poor end to last season and was woeful in the pre-season game against Forfar.

Aye but your a Celtic fan and therefore wouldn't have a clue about young Scottish talent if it jumped up and belted you in the jaw.

Ah so following and enjoying mediocrity and failure mean you know what you're talking about :lol:

Alas we can't all aspire to be champions league qualifyings whipping boys.

If you've nothing to add then off you pop. Fud.

Like Pat I'll stay and stop signing your posts Fud. Can I not make my own mind up about you?

The best young prospect in the league is definitely the one who plays for the team I support. It simply can't be anyone else and it's impossible that my opinions may be unbalanced due to the fact I see the prospect who plays for my team much more often than any other young player.

These threads always pop up when the fan of a team thinks its his team who has the best prospect :lol:

A new one of these threads comes up ever month. It always ends in tedious bickering

That might end up in a poster being disregarded or disrespected. We all need to be loved

As long as I get your seal of approval Seamus ;)

Don't agree with that actually. Probably more of a tartan army rambling post coming up, but there you go.

I was at a game at St Mirren Park in May. Scotland u21's v Holland u21's in a Euro qualifier.

It was a strong young team from us, not far off what would be out first choice 11 at that level I guess. Armstrong from United, Fraser from Bournemouth, McGregor from Celtic, McGinn and McLean from St Mirren, Paterson and McGhee from Hearts and May from St Johnstone all started. Scougall, Slater and McKenzie all came on.

They lost 6-1, and that result flattered them. The difference in standard of player on show was pretty frightening.

The point is that relatively speaking, in a European context, these players aren't of a high standard at all. I don't think one young player we currently have in Scotland will go on to play for a top European club, which is what you want really. Holland had the Real Madrid/Barca/Bayern Munich players of the future on show that night. We had the Sheffield Wednesday/Derby County/Norwich players of the future on show, and I include John McGinn in that.

League 1, Championship and if they do well maybe low end EPL is where our best players go now. For whatever reason, we can't produce high end Champions League/International level players anymore, and none of our current crop look set to change that trend.

Don't agree with that actually. Probably more of a tartan army rambling post coming up, but there you go.

I was at a game at St Mirren Park in May. Scotland u21's v Holland u21's in a Euro qualifier.

It was a strong young team from us, not far off what would be out first choice 11 at that level I guess. Armstrong from United, Fraser from Bournemouth, McGregor from Celtic, McGinn and McLean from St Mirren, Paterson and McGhee from Hearts and May from St Johnstone all started. Scougall, Slater and McKenzie all came on.

They lost 6-1, and that result flattered them. The difference in standard of player on show was pretty frightening.

The point is that relatively speaking, in a European context, these players aren't of a high standard at all. I don't think one young player we currently have in Scotland will go on to play for a top European club, which is what you want really. Holland had the Real Madrid/Barca/Bayern Munich players of the future on show that night. We had the Sheffield Wednesday/Derby County/Norwich players of the future on show, and I include John McGinn in that.

League 1, Championship and if they do well maybe low end EPL is where our best players go now. For whatever reason, we can't produce high end Champions League/International level players anymore, and none of our current crop look set to change that trend.

Good post. Accurate as well.

I guess my only counter would be that you are going a long way back to find a player produced in Scotland worthy of that top table. In my lifetime Paul lambert and Darren fletcher are the only 2 that come to mind as playing at the very top level and Darren Fletcher is hardly a great example.

Could it be that 1 of these mentioned players is that once in a generation talent that we produce (even then never a top top player) whilst the rest are at the higher end of the scale of what we normally produce? This admittedly is a far lower level than your Hollands etc.

Then again maybe the standard of the league has sunk so low it's easier to stand out?

Just seems to me more and more young Scottish players are getting a crack at first team action than we have seen historically which can only be good for the game here.

Gary Kenneth.

Archived