How are the people you know voting?

gazelle

The wife and son have both told me I'm a NO. The other wean has told me I'm a No.

I'll not be here on the day. So, my proxy vote will be their choice.

I couldn't give a feck really because no-one will know whether the right decision was made until at least 5 years after the event. No matter what the result is, any fanfares, blowing of trumpets and "told ye so's" is a waste of time. Those cheers of 2014 may well end up as riots in 2019. Time will tell.

• Replies 138
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Family and close friends pretty much all No, daughter a Yes vote however, work colleagues around 60/40 No, couple of lads through the football on the Yes side but the rest all No's.

On holiday at the moment with a mixed group of friends, and acquaintances for a few days golf, those with a vote 9 No 2 Yes!

All my wife's family in Dunfermline are Yes, so 7 out of 7 there.

Myself and Mrs are Yes.

My mum and Dad were both No, then undecided. I've since told them they'll never see their grandkids again if they vote No (smiley face) so my mum will vote Yes and I think my dad will quietly vote No.

My sisters I think will be one each way, their husband's both Yes.

My family and wife's friends based on what my wife says they "like" on Facebook is about 50/30/20% Y/N/DK.

My friends are varied, oldest pals from Dundee who I see at Tannadice are 8 Yes, 4 No.

In my work and where I live in Aberdeen I would say pretty 50/50, but most who say DK here are probably going towards status No's.

Friends in Edinburgh from Uni are mostly No.

Roughly:

38 YES

22 NO

10 DK but most verging on No.

All my wife's family in Dunfermline are Yes, so 7 out of 7 there.

Myself and Mrs are Yes.

My mum and Dad were both No, then undecided. I've since told them they'll never see their grandkids again if they vote No so my mum will vote Yes and I think my dad will quietly vote No.

My sisters I think will be one each way, their husband's both Yes.

My family and wife's friends based on what my wife says they "like" on Facebook is about 50/30/20% Y/N/DK.

My friends are varied, oldest pals from Dundee who I see at Tannadice are 8 Yes, 4 No.

In my work and where I live in Aberdeen I would say pretty 50/50, but most who say DK here are probably going towards status No's.

Friends in Edinburgh from Uni are mostly No.

Roughly:

38 YES

22 NO

10 DK but most verging on No.

I'm calling pish on this claim.

If true, what a p***k/p***kess you are.

Settle darling, I don't think they took me seriously, either that or the old man really doesn't like his grandkids.

I should have added a smiley face, will edit.

ETA Actually don't know how to add a smiley face.

Most work colleagues are No (those that have made their intentions clear) with the wife as a No as well. I've tried several times to make her see sense but she won't budge on the grounds that;

i) She likes being British

ii) It would be unfair to those who fought in the war for Britain

and

iii) She doesn't think we could and 'things are always more expensive in a small country'

Words fail me, they really do :thumbsdown

i) She will always be British

ii) They will always have the respect they deserve and it doesn't diminish any part of Scotland's history to be independent. I would just be glad of not being part of the nasty shite in the middle east.

iii) That's just an extremely sweeping statement that has no grounds whatsoever

But I guess you know all this already?!

Most family friends and colleague are no and not for budging. I think I'll try and convince my girlfriend to vote yes and call it a victory. I can't be fucked doing the convince people you know to vote yes thing. Mind you most aren't worth wasting breath trying to convince, some are voting no whatever you tell them, and after all. I hear "I just can't stand that Alex Salmond" and "how can we be independent when we don't even have an army or a currency?" A lot.

My wife is strangely in agreement with me which is 'Shirley' a sign of the apocalypse and my folks are both NO but they're both in their 80's so no surprise. Out of the people that I mingle with and have discussed it with, its roughly 75 percent NO but I'm a comfortable middle aged boy so again, probably no surprise there. I've got a couple of good YES friends, both of which surprise me (not that I've got a couple of YES friends, just that its this pair) but the majority are No. I don't know of any don't know's but it's not the burning issue for me that it is for some so I don't ask every fecker straight off.

Much as I'm a No voter, the last time I spoke to my mum about it, one of her reasons for voting NO was she didn't think Scotland would make a go of being able to run ourselves which surprised me. I did say that if it did happen that I'm sure we'd manage seeing as how everyone else seems to mange.

At home it's 100% Yes. Me, my wife and my son and daughter (who are only 7 and 8 but are very pro indy!)

Brainwashing kids, lovely :rolleyes:

I know lots of shout-it-from-the-rooftops Yes voters, generally keep-it-to-themselves (slightly embarrassed?) No voters, and a couple of non-voters. Most No voters I know are women.

Pretty clear from this thread that below 50 in age will be pretty even. The old b*****ds who cling onto notions of the Empire and that terrible Scottish trait of refusal to ever change will definitely swing it to a No vote though.

Edit: or people like my girlfriend's mum who's voting No as she doesn't trust Salmond. She didn't really understand my reply that very few politicians are trustworthy.

Edit 2: or my dad's mate who's Irish, but a member of the Labour party and will vote no. Believes in a sovereign Ireland obviously, but not Scotland. c**t of a guy really.

Bar 3 or 4 folk pretty much everyone is a Yes. However most people I hang out with/know are lefty alternative types so that's not really a huge surprise. My Facebook news feed is a constant battering of Pro Yes articles and posts and is doing my head in, despite the fact I'm voting Yes.

Wife - no - but she doesn't trust any politicians so not really surprised

Mum - hard No

Step-Dad - No

Dad - hard No

Step-mum - No

Brother - hard Yes

Sister - very soft Yes - keeps switching back and forth - doesn't like my brother's shouty shouty approach

Sister-in-law - hasn't said but I'd assume a Yes

Step-children- 3 not voting because they are not registered and probably won't bother - one who is registered is voting No like her mum

Two regular football mates - one hard Yes and one hard No - they're really good pals but if a debate about independence starts then all hell breaks lose

Workplace - very little said at all - perhaps to do with the nature of the job - one obvious Yes and several obvious Nos - political affiliations being the key - most keep their opinion to themselves about the referendum but are generally cynical about most politicians.

Brainwashing kids, lovely :rolleyes:

Correct. And very proud of them I am.

Wife - no - but she doesn't trust any politicians so not really surprised

Mum - hard No

Step-Dad - No

Dad - hard No

Step-mum - No

Brother - hard Yes

Sister - very soft Yes - keeps switching back and forth - doesn't like my brother's shouty shouty approach

Sister-in-law - hasn't said but I'd assume a Yes

Step-children- 3 not voting because they are not registered and probably won't bother - one who is registered is voting No like her mum

Two regular football mates - one hard Yes and one hard No - they're really good pals but if a debate about independence starts then all hell breaks lose

Workplace - very little said at all - perhaps to do with the nature of the job - one obvious Yes and several obvious Nos - political affiliations being the key - most keep their opinion to themselves about the referendum but are generally cynical about most politicians.

Your brother must get backache having the only spine in the family.

:)

Archived