How are the people you know voting?

gazelle

• Replies 138
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Most work colleagues are No (those that have made their intentions clear) with the wife as a No as well. I've tried several times to make her see sense but she won't budge on the grounds that;

i) She likes being British

ii) It would be unfair to those who fought in the war for Britain

and

iii) She doesn't think we could and 'things are always more expensive in a small country'

Words fail me, they really do :thumbsdown

The whole British thing really does my neck in, why vote to be ruled under Westminster because you like being British? Arghh. What would actually change if Scotland was self governed? She could still call herself British! :(

The whole British thing really does my neck in, why vote to be ruled under Westminster because you like being British? Arghh. What would actually change if Scotland was self governed? She could still call herself British! :(

This.

The British Isles are not going to tectonically seperate in the event of Independence.

Myy Facebook friends list and the people I speak to on a daily basis are fairly varied and includes everyone from the scummiest of neds to wealthy professionals, like most people I imagine.

A couple of months ago 25 people had liked Better Together and 24 had liked Yes Scotland. The score is now 29 - 23 to Yes. I suspect I've been deleted by a few Unionists right enough as they don't like being presented with evidence of their stupidity.

I remain pessimistic as it's essentially level among youngish people and the oldies are going to massively vote no.

I find it interesting that most people don't seem to know all that many people that 'don't know'. I think out of everyone I've spoke to about it, I've only came across one person that said he didn't know how he'd vote.

Most people I know are voting No, or at least were last time I spoke to them.

Using a combination of asking people and looking at the official Facebook pages, I'm at:

Yes: 25

No: 19

Don't Know: 9

I'm surprised at certain people I know and their respective decisions.

Folks yes, myself and wife yes, brother yes. I've no idea about my sister/brother in law but probably a yes. In my office I would say it's a slight majority yes. In terms of close friends it's almost exclusively yes but the ultimate poll has got to be Facebook right? I have 24 Facebook friends who like the 'Yes' page and 17 who like the 'Better Together' page. So there you have it. Unfortunately the biggest w****r in work spams Facebook with so much Yes stuff that she's almost certainly turned folk away.

I have 63 friends who like YES and 18 that like BT but I know 3 of those are voting YES. In response to you Michael I'd say atleast a third of my friends on Facebook maybe more are undecided or don't know or don't care, got a few older friends but I'm 22 and most my friends are younger and I don't think people actually realise what's going on. As I mentioned elsewhere someone was asking where to 'buy tickets to vote'. Unbelievable.

I thought my Facebook was split 50-50 until the last debate and there was a flood of 'remember it's not salmond or the SNP you are voting for' type posts

Family 90% yes (just the old ones on the dark side)

Friends 95% (just the rangers fans who are undecided at the moment)

My office is split 2 yes - 1 no - 2 undecided.

There's a scotland wide meeting in a couple of weeks, I'll be canvassing the rest of the company opinion then

looked at my fb likes for better together and yes and it currently stands at 23 - 13 to yes. However, I think that people voting yes are much more likely to 'like' the page on fb as I know quite a few people who are voting no but I noticed haven't liked the page. Overall out of the people I know, I think it's pretty even - my parents and siblings are voting yes, as is my aunt, who happens to be one of those rabid yes voters who gives the campaign a bad name.

There's a real 'yes' presence in angus, with signs, stickers etc. absolutely everywhere.

Come to think of it, I actually don't even know if I'm registered. I'm assuming if you've voted before you'll be on the electoral register?

Family:

Mum - Voting No.

Dad - Voting No.

Brother 1 - Is down south, would vote no, don't think he'll be back for the referendum afaik

Brother 2 - Voting No

Me - Voting

yes

Not sure about wider family - I know a cousin is voting no for sure, with most other cousins either abroad or too young to vote, but in terms of aunts/uncles I've no clue. No living grandparents, unfortunately.

Broadly, my parents are convinced that independence will result in their house plummeting in value (they own a house near Faslane), Brother 1 is reasonably intelligent but tbh I don't think has paid much attention so is just going with what the parents are saying whenever the referendum comes up, Brother 2 has been paying a bit of attention but is a bit dense and, like Brother 1, is something of a sycophant "towing the party line", so to speak.

They know my intentions by now. To be fair we all just kind of leave it be - there'd be no convincing either side to change their voting intention, and talking about the referendum would just get at least one of us wound up and stressed, so when I'm visiting the family we tend to politely ignore the elephant in the room.

Brother 2 did have the cheek to send a facebook message along the lines of "Oh hey, I know you're voting yes, and I think its going to be a yes vote, so for future reference I had a little look at Mum and Dad's house value (you know, our inheritance) and its worth £390,000 just now. Just so that when it crashes as our town is decimated by independence I can bring this up later on. No need to reply. Oh actually, if you can say that "scotland will be using the pound after a yes" that would be great, thanks" though.

Was tempted to call him out as a) trying to scaremonger me based on what he/they (I'm sure I've heard my parents mention this "Vote No or you're ruining your inheritance!" thing a couple of times) think indy would do to our inheritance strikes me as being, well, fucking ghoulish, and that Independence is about a bit more than just that b) he's acting as if house prices are magically never, ever going to drop, Union or no, c) I can't see Faslane going anywhere anytime soon, d) even if it does, I'm not buying that it would kill the town - it's an area of great natural beauty, in a nice, safe and quiet area with some lovely houses and its geographically very nicely positioned with great transport links, and e) he literally wasn't aware until the Blue Book about even the possibility of unilateral adoption of the Pound (like I said, a bit dense - although after the blue book he posted something along the lines of "but but but Currency Board!!!!") but I just left it be.

Friends:

haven't got any lol

Na, just kidding. 3 definite yes voters, 2 definite no voters. In terms of casual acquaintances, it becomes harder to guage. Would say that No is shading it on my Facebook feed, for example (in terms of BT status updates, "liking" BT pages etc.)

Archived