NO to devolution or there will be riots, rape and mayhem!

Crùbag

Surely with Salmond being a Hearts fan, the support for independence within their fanbase goes without saying.

Of course Alistair Darling was keen to be seen supporting Hearts while they were in financial difficulties, so who knows maybe he is one too but as we've never seen him nail his colours to the mast as it were one might be uncharitable and suggest Darling was only in for the press shots of him holding a season ticket. There have been no reports of Darling ever being at a football match it seems.

Good point Soupy CB, who's your 'big team' ? I guess you're "Pollok 'til you die" but you must have a soft spot for a senior team.

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Question for the OP, and you can answer it without me responding back and slowly derailing the thread. How do you feel seeing so many UJ's and pro-British songs from the Hearts fans at Edinburgh derbies? I ask because your avatar says "Heart of Midlothian for Independence". A trip to Tynecastle when Hibs are playing suggests that's not overwhelmingly the case. Cheers in advance.

Will try and be constructive. I think you're exagerrating the UJ thing at Tynie. There is a hardcore minority of eejits who indluge in the UJ stuff, the sectarianism and sometimes racism. At derbies it seems to be mostly to wind up the tricolour section in your support. Is it worse than among the Hibs support? Who can tell but HIbs' friends of mine have commented on several occasions at ER where racist abuse has been dished out. Mehdi Taouill had some Hibees last year shouting 'paki' and 'terrorist' at him. Hibs too have their green UNs - what's that about?

Lastly, and this is for your name here. Why Erin go Bragh? I have Irish blood on both sides of my family but am not Irish. It all sounds a bit Celtic and faux-Irish for me. A bh'fhuil Gaeilge agat?

Whataboutery. Absolute classic whataboutery.

EVERYONE who indulges in this is scum

Agree. Am talking about the numbers involved. At Sevco it's almost the entire support. At Hearts it's a minority of bams. Hibs too.

Will try and be constructive. I think you're exagerrating the UJ thing at Tynie. There is a hardcore minority of eejits who indluge in the UJ stuff, the sectarianism and sometimes racism. At derbies it seems to be mostly to wind up the tricolour section in your support. Is it worse than among the Hibs support? Who can tell but HIbs' friends of mine have commented on several occasions at ER where racist abuse has been dished out. Mehdi Taouill had some Hibees last year shouting 'paki' and 'terrorist' at him. Hibs too have their green UNs - what's that about?

Lastly, and this is for your name here. Why Erin go Bragh? I have Irish blood on both sides of my family but am not Irish. It all sounds a bit Celtic and faux-Irish for me. A bh'fhuil Gaeilge agat?

You're being a bit defensive there if you don't mind me saying so, I never tried to criticise the entire Hearts support.

The UJ stuff is just an attempt to wind up Hibs fans? If that's true then it's a harrowing waste of effort seeing as all that stuff barely registers amongst our support. I'd be shocked if you found more than 5 tricolours at any Hibs game, it's really not a big deal. Really Hibs are only associated with all that by association with the other three teams that make Scotland's (probably) biggest four.

Honestly bud I have no idea where you're going with the criticisms of Hibs support. Hibs having unsavoury characters amongst the support (like all teams) has literally nothing to do with this subject. I explained my username in the other thread, but I'd be hugely surprised if you can find any logic that says I'm "faux-Irish" or that a username named after a club motto that dates back before Celtic existed is "a bit Celtic". It's quite sad to see how many Scots seem to think an Irish identity was something created in The Gallowgate in the 1880's.

You're being a bit defensive there if you don't mind me saying so, I never tried to criticise the entire Hearts support.

The UJ stuff is just an attempt to wind up Hibs fans? If that's true then it's a harrowing waste of effort seeing as all that stuff barely registers amongst our support. I'd be shocked if you found more than 5 tricolours at any Hibs game, it's really not a big deal. Really Hibs are only associated with all that by association with the other three teams that make Scotland's (probably) biggest four.

Honestly bud I have no idea where you're going with the criticisms of Hibs support. Hibs having unsavoury characters amongst the support (like all teams) has literally nothing to do with this subject. I explained my username in the other thread, but I'd be hugely surprised if you can find any logic that says I'm "faux-Irish" or that a username named after a club motto that dates back before Celtic existed is "a bit Celtic". It's quite sad to see how many Scots seem to think an Irish identity was something created in The Gallowgate in the 1880's.

I agree with most of what you say but I maintain that the Rangers-types eejits at Tynie are a small, but vocal sometimes, minority. Equally, Hibs have a minority of anti-social 'fans' - though the behaviour of some of Hibs' employees is very questionable. Having racists as unwanted fans is one thing but employing them? Both the UJ and the Tricolour are irrelevant. Hearts and Hibs are Scottish teams and Hearts actually have a Saltire in their crest.

As to faux-Irish, you know your family better than I do but I too have Irish family a couple generations removed. I love Ireland and even speak some of the Gaeilge. But, I am Scottish. Most of my comment is aimed at the large Celtic support who probably have less Irish connections that I have but ham up the Irishness and the victimhood. As to 'Erin go Bragh', it doesn't bother me but it still seems a bit irrelevant to today's Hibs and today's Scottish football leagues.

Slán go foill.

Quick points and then I'll leave your thread alone.

Hearts' UJ brigade are a small minority (although I've head the entire Hearts support at ER sing the "naughty version" of the Gorgie/Billy Boys but that's a another story), Hibs' tricolour brigade are almost totally non-existent. Hibs as you say have other problems within the support, but that's only relevant if you're arguing over who has the worst behaved support which I never intended to do. All I asked was what an independence supporting Hearts fan thought of UJ's at Tynie, that's all.

That's all well and good that you have family from there but you're Scottish, I'm Scottish too but also Irish. If you met someone born and raised in Scotland with two parents from India/Italy/China etc you'd never question their dual identity, the only reason it's different with the Irish is because it's been hijacked by Celtic. However, an internet username or correctly asserting that you have more that one nationality isn't hamming up anything and it certainly isn't related to having a victim complex. That's a very narrow, Scottish football tainted attitude to Irishness.

The near we are to polling day, the closer I think the vote will be; though I'd imagine it will be a narrow NO victory.

Whilst not condoning it, I'm also more convinced there will be a backlash. A small scale one following the result, a bigger one when we next see aTory government elected and their policies implemented in Scotland.

Archived