NO to devolution or there will be riots, rape and mayhem!

Crùbag

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Why not send Alistair Darling a tweet, with the link to this video and have him explain?

He would simply deny it was him.

It's like when he denied that he claimed Scotland could be an independent country, when it was part of his opening speech for the BT campaign. A short, and very fuzzy, memory does Mr Darling has.

Thing is, I do agree with you in context. It does need fleshed out although at face value it looks highly damning and going by past ridiculous hyperbole he certainly had previous for this.

So as a young firebrand trying to make his way in left wing party he comes out with dramatics, as a more mature man in a less left wing party his tone has changed, how weird is that ? As far as I can see he's not really 'spreading fear', now who's being dramatic !

There are folk in all parties who will have been caught on film espousing views they no longer hold.

It's why they are politicians.

The man is a clown but in this clip, is he not actually talking about Tory cuts at the time?

I can see why folk would think that but surely if the BBC also reported it in the devo-context there'd be a huge stooshie from Darling and BT about it? I know the BBC aint that honest all the time but that would really take the biscuit. It's also the wrong side for the BBC to misrepresent.

Question for the OP, and you can answer it without me responding back and slowly derailing the thread. How do you feel seeing so many UJ's and pro-British songs from the Hearts fans at Edinburgh derbies? I ask because your avatar says "Heart of Midlothian for Independence". A trip to Tynecastle when Hibs are playing suggests that's not overwhelmingly the case. Cheers in advance.

Surely with Salmond being a Hearts fan, the support for independence within their fanbase goes without saying.

Of course Alistair Darling was keen to be seen supporting Hearts while they were in financial difficulties, so who knows maybe he is one too but as we've never seen him nail his colours to the mast as it were one might be uncharitable and suggest Darling was only in for the press shots of him holding a season ticket. There have been no reports of Darling ever being at a football match it seems.

Surely with Salmond being a Hearts fan, the support for independence within their fanbase goes without saying.Of course Alistair Darling was keen to be seen supporting Hearts while they were in financial difficulties, so who knows maybe he is one too but as we've never seen him nail his colours to the mast as it were one might be uncharitable and suggest Darling was only in for the press shots of him holding a season ticket. There have been no reports of Darling ever being at a football match it seems.

Pretty sure hearts fans will probably be in the majority unionists.

Surely with Salmond being a Hearts fan, the support for independence within their fanbase goes without saying.

Of course Alistair Darling was keen to be seen supporting Hearts while they were in financial difficulties, so who knows maybe he is one too but as we've never seen him nail his colours to the mast as it were one might be uncharitable and suggest Darling was only in for the press shots of him holding a season ticket. There have been no reports of Darling ever being at a football match it seems.

One urban legend mythical football allegiance still has to be Blair's "watching Jackie Milburn play for Newcastle". He was criticised for it as at the time Milburn played his final games for Newcastle, Tony Blair would have been four years old and living several thousand miles away in Australia.

The story it turns out was mischief-making by a Magpie-supporting reporter Keith Topping.

Archived