Brace yourself...

Casual Bystander

eeO8cBT.jpg

The one thing the TV debate did last night was finally open up the argument to the rUK. Up until now they have only been given second hand scare mongering coming from Eyebrows McGee and the Bitter Together clown car collective, which has only gone on to compound some pretty ingrained hatred and massively ill informed opinions. Now the different sides of the debate have been seen across the country (and by that I mean the UK) and with the Bitter camp putting in such a poor showing the sudden realisation that independence isn't just a pipe dream but a definite possibility.

After listening to the radio feedback from rUK people and reading the comments online from social and mainstream media, the following myths seem to be getting peddled:

Myth 1: We are all just subsidy junkies who bleed the English taxpayers for things like free education and prescriptions.

Myth 2: We are unable to be an independent country and it will fail within 5 minutes with us returning with the begging bowl.

Myth 3: We are going to hold the rUK to ransom and that if we leave we don't deserve to use the pound as it's English.

Myth 4: We all hate the English, that's why we are doing this. No other reason.

The problem, imo, is that those down South are getting angry that we are trying to better ourselves at the ballot box and they know they are incapable of doing that.

Edit: I do believe that it's a good thing that the debate has been viewed by rUK. The backlash from those down South with intolerant views (and I am by no means suggesting they are in the majority, but there is definitely a very bitter element) can only benefit the case for Yes.

I want the rest of the UK involved in the debate, as it's the only way in which we can dispel a lot of the casual stereotyping and just plain racism that exists in a (sizeable) minority of those in rUK. I was in Biarritz a few years back and bumped into a couple of English lads (from Gloucester) who were there for some rugby thing. They were quite positive about Scottish independence (they brought the subject up not me) all saying that if we wanted it and voted for it we should get it. They were also quite dismissive of Westminster too. However they were adamant that Scotland was a subsidy junkie and that the English tax payers are the only reason Scotland can exist as it does.

There is no way Scotland will ever shake those myths. Just like Ireland is all Father Ted and tattie fields outside of Dublin to most Brits, Scotland is two (perhaps three) vaguely English-looking cities connected by hundreds of miles of either cowpats or junkie schemes. It's simply easier to think like that than to have a deeper understanding of another country. Tweaks to the Barnett Formula are not going to fix that (indeed, by driving more Scots into poverty, they're likely to actually exacerbate it).

I want the rest of the UK involved in the debate, as it's the only way in which we can dispel a lot of the casual stereotyping and just plain racism that exists in a (sizeable) minority of those in rUK.

Unfortunately it's waaaaaaaay too late for that. There should have been a balanced picture laid out for the whole of the UK to make informed decisions on, but that was never going to happen. All people down south have is snippets of completely one sided, London-centric unionist garbage, leaving them to believe all the myths and scaremongering shite peddled by the press and Westminster.

Unfortunately it's waaaaaaaay too late for that. There should have been a balanced picture laid out for the whole of the UK to make informed decisions on, but that was never going to happen. All people down south have is snippets of completely one sided, London-centric unionist garbage, leaving them to believe all the myths and scaremongering shite peddled by the press and Westminster.

And I believe that will backfire for the No camp. They will have an obvious backlash regardless even if we vote No from down South which can only help the Yes campaign. Nothing hardens Scottish opinion than having the English telling us we are scroungers and layabouts or that we are unable to run our own country.

Returning from London now, was down 2 weeks ago too, I try and give them the benefit of the doubt, they don't really care and at best will have read a couple of mainstream media things and we know what's in them. All but one of the people I talked to about it were receptive to 'being put right', many said they'd vote Yes too.

Returning from London now, was down 2 weeks ago too, I try and give them the benefit of the doubt, they don't really care and at best will have read a couple of mainstream media things and we know what's in them. All but one of the people I talked to about it were receptive to 'being put right', many said they'd vote Yes too.

You should have tried spending a Scottish tenner just for a laugh. Whenever I am down there I like to take a few Scottish notes just for the lulz. Some of the ignorance is superb.

The backlash from those down South with intolerant views can only benefit the case for Yes.

I agree, I've spent a lot of time pondering my vote and I have to say that the general view of those Down South is fairly persuasive of a Yes vote.

Can I also add that mutual circle-wanking and down right intolerance of anyone who aint voting Yes on here is almost as persuasive in the opposite direction.

Currently voting Yes btw.

Can I also add that mutual circle-wanking and down right intolerance of anyone who aint voting Yes on here is almost as persuasive in the opposite direction.

I'm guessing I would fall into that category although you'd describe my "style" as acerbic as opposed to circle-jerk. However my opinion is that if I am the person who is deciding your vote then that vote wasn't particularly secure in the first place.

I do genuinely feel sorry for the rUK who feel like the Scots have somehow hoodwinked them into independence and that we are all just subsidy junkies who are holding them to ransom. It comes from a level of ignorance (not their fault entirely, they've been fed second hand scaremongering shit from Cameron, et al) and frustration at being unable to change their political destiny in the same way as we have the chance to now.

I agree, I've spent a lot of time pondering my vote and I have to say that the general view of those Down South is fairly persuasive of a Yes vote.

giphy.gif

Careful you don't allow your wobbly vote to be swayed by us nasty, nasty cybernats.

Ooft, Radio 5 Live round about 6:55, 4 non voters gave their opinion. Most of them said Yes, which was nice, but it was based on us being whinging subsidy junkies, which wasn't so nice. Only caught a couple of minutes of it (it wasn't on for long anyway) but there was no attempt to correct their opinions.

Lol - my signature doesn't refer to folk being nasty, it refers to folk being bellends !

Surely you're not still going to tell us your shaky vote could be swayed either way by people on here?

Surely you're not still going to tell us your shaky vote could be swayed either way by people on here?

Probably not but supporters of both sides have had me shaking my head in sheer frustration throughout all of this .. and the rUK media has had me fucking beeling at it's pure ignorance of the subject ... the producers of The Wright Stuff owe me a remote control !!

Probably not but supporters of both sides have had me shaking my head in sheer frustration throughout all of this .. and the rUK media has had me fucking beeling at it's pure ignorance of the subject ... the producers of The Wright Stuff owe me a remote control !!

There are abject weapons on both sides, for definite. I'm sure many people would count me as one of them.

But as a basic question, putting all other shite aside, do you feel Scotland is best served being governed in Scotland or being governed from Westminster?

What do you think is best for Scotland as a whole and for future generations?

But as a basic question, putting all other shite aside, do you feel Scotland is best served being governed in Scotland or being governed from Westminster?

What do you think is best for Scotland as a whole and for future generations?

I think long term we'd be better as part of the UK but I believe that as an independent county we'd be absolutely fine.

I think long term we'd be better as part of the UK but I believe that as an independent county we'd be absolutely fine.

If you don't mind me asking, what makes you believe we'll be better off long term in the UK?

Archived